E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth lines primed/no flow

03-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
woodga16
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Meth lines primed/no flow

Finally got my WW meth kit lines primed, but still no flow. My line from solenoid is rather cramped and could be the culprit. I have ER meth pipe. Does anyone have pics of their setup, specifically close up of lines from pump to solenoid, and from solenoid to meth bung.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
LuSt4Boost
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

where are you located? If local, I could help out.

If you primed it a million times and still have no flow, then I'm positive you have leaks. Make sure all your fittings and lines are TIGHT!
      03-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

You may need 90 degree fittings. I have 90 degree fittings on my ER charge pipe nozzle holder but none anywhere else. I'll see if I can grab a pic when I get out the car later.

When you say no flow, you mean that your not getting your meth indicators to work? what tune are you using? what methanol system.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
LuSt4Boost
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My guess is that he's using the BMS kit, but I could be wrong. Have you tried power purging?
      03-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Kris 335i
Rep
Drives: 335

You may still have air in your lines. I took much longer than I expected for my meth to start flowing. I was convinced that I had botched the install, but kept driving the car hard, then finally it started to flow and I haven't looked back since!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Best way to work the WW systems is to simply hook everything up, throw some towels over your washer nozzles, and prime the system until meth sprays into towels.

After that I usually hot wire the meth pump manually. All it needs is a 12v source to go. I prime really quick like 2 times.

AFter that you should be clear to drive with no other priming needed
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
woodga16
First Lieutenant
Rep

BMS WW Kit, no 90deg. fittings, and I've just now got it to prime. Searched everywhere and I finally realized my check valve was backwards...stupid I know. Now I see zero bubbles, but getting zero flow as indicating via dashboard hack. I've tried force priming via WOT while holding WW spray lever down, still nothing. It would occasionally go from 0-20ish to then go back to zero flow.

When you refer to long time to prime...I feel like I primed for a long time, and appears to be zero air in the lines. I check everything that I tampered with to install this kit...i.e. t-fitting, meth nozzle, solenoid, pump, meth line to and from...found no leaks. Tomorrow is going to be my last attempt at this because I'm tired of the hassle...been working on it off and on between my 60hr wrk/wks. and about to reach that point of is it really worth it. Plus, I have my papers ready to order a 2013 mustang gt(besides point though.)

Also, I live in near clemson, SC to whom was asking.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Try bypassing the wipers all together. Then pull your nozzle out of the CP, put it in a water bottle or something and go to 7/5 command mode with the key on but engine off and spray for a few seconds by pressing the gas pedal Put the nozzle back in the CP and go for a drive with the wipers still bypassed. Under WOT hold the wiper stalk back for 15 sec. You should definitely have flow. Once you stop driving make sure to look for air bubbles. If this doesn't work email terry because something is definitely wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
LuSt4Boost
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnno98 View Post
Try bypassing the wipers all together. Then pull your nozzle out of the CP, put it in a water bottle or something and go to 7/5 command mode with the key on but engine off and spray for a few seconds by pressing the gas pedal Put the nozzle back in the CP and go for a drive with the wipers still bypassed. Under WOT hold the wiper stalk back for 15 sec. You should definitely have flow. Once you stop driving make sure to look for air bubbles. If this doesn't work email terry because something is definitely wrong.
Do all this...but you don't have to drive to get the same results. Once the car is on and you are on 7/5 in your dash, press the pedal to the floor and hold the wipers. This is how I power purged my system and checked for leaks. Took 4-5 days, messing with it after work, to get it running 110%. DONT GIVE UP! Definitely worth it...
      03-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

I had flow issue and it was basically due to my WW filter being dirty. It could be that...

After 2-3 days testing I actually stopped getting flow as the filter got so clogged up...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
Sliiiiick
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i 6MT

I'm having the same problem. I received my WW meth kit a couple days ago and spent time hooking everything up. Afterwards I tried priming the pump but nothing happens when I press the pedal on 7/5. Do I have to switch to map 3 first? Then I tried hitting the wipers while touching the red pump wire to the battery jumper post and fluid runs into the pump and stops at the solenoid. I still haven't figured out how to get the fluid to pump all the way out through the solenoid as nothing seems to work. There are no air bubbles in the lines and all the connectors are tightly fastened. As it sits right now, the meth spray nozzle is not on and the tubing after the solenoid is routed into a container to catch the fluid, does this matter when trying to prime?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
woodga16
First Lieutenant
Rep

Where is WW filter?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #13
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodga16 View Post
Where is WW filter?
is on the windscreen washer pump on your right wheel well (passenger side for RHD cars).

There is a DIY on this forum on how to get to it and clean it, not hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #14
335iJWC
~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 335i-M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.00]
I have a similar issue, it flows with 7/5 option but not at WOT
      03-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliiiiick View Post
I'm having the same problem. I received my WW meth kit a couple days ago and spent time hooking everything up. Afterwards I tried priming the pump but nothing happens when I press the pedal on 7/5. Do I have to switch to map 3 first? Then I tried hitting the wipers while touching the red pump wire to the battery jumper post and fluid runs into the pump and stops at the solenoid. I still haven't figured out how to get the fluid to pump all the way out through the solenoid as nothing seems to work. There are no air bubbles in the lines and all the connectors are tightly fastened. As it sits right now, the meth spray nozzle is not on and the tubing after the solenoid is routed into a container to catch the fluid, does this matter when trying to prime?
If the meth doesnt spray after the solenoid that means the solenoid isnt wired correctly. (It should click when it's working).

The solenoid needs to turn on when the meth pump turns on. I usually wire them together.

Priming is priming, the purpose is to simply get air out of the lines, it should only take a couple of seconds, literally.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
woodga16
First Lieutenant
Rep

Jeff do you have a picture of your solenoid/lines to-from meth nozzle? I'm thinking I have solenoid problems, or line is to bound/crimped for optimimum flow.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #17
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
If the meth doesnt spray after the solenoid that means the solenoid isnt wired correctly. (It should click when it's working).

The solenoid needs to turn on when the meth pump turns on. I usually wire them together.

Priming is priming, the purpose is to simply get air out of the lines, it should only take a couple of seconds, literally.
And if this is the case your building up alot of pressure pre-solenoid. The biggest thing is to make sure your ground is solid.

If you dont have clean exposed piece of metal to wire your ground ,then it could be your problem. Get a die-grinder, dremel or just a drill. Find a nut or strut bolt. Remove the bolt, grind down the black protective coating to bear metal and then place the wire under the bolt and smash the wire down.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliiiiick View Post
The solenoid and pump are each powered independently by the FSB controller. Connecting the pump red to +12v as a test is only going to power on the pump but won't open the solenoid. To do that you'd need to also touch the wire running to the green FSB wire to a ground source. It's a fairly simple kit. Generally any problems during install are related to the FSB wiring in the DME box. If it's an N54 kit and pressing the gas down while in command mode 7/5 on screen with engine off isn't kicking on the pump, solenoid, and/or red LED on the FSB, then you have a wiring problem. If you guys wind up needing any help just email BMS for troubleshooting assistance.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jeff do you have a picture of your solenoid/lines to-from meth nozzle? I'm thinking I have solenoid problems, or line is to bound/crimped for optimimum flow.
I'm not sure if these will help you:

Excuse my wiring. I have to clean up the install.

This is just a custom WW setup, not any specific kit.

Your lines should not make any hard bends.
I doubt you have a line routing problem, it sounds like your solenoid isn't working.

I actually plan on changing this setup just a touch for a clean install and to make sure each nozzle gets an equal length of line. Maybe tomorrow if its nice now that you reminded me

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 03-03-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #20
woodga16
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Jeff, I also think its my solenoid...going to check the grounds tonight.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #21
Sliiiiick
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i 6MT

Thanks for the responses guys and I didn't mean to hijack OP's thread. I disconnected and reconnected all of my wiring and it started to work. I don't know what prevented solenoid from opening before but I'm happy now. I put everything back together and just took it for a spin. The car wouldn't build up boost past 3psi so when I got to the garage I found the silicone coupler had popped off the intercooler. Now I have to wait several hours for the car to cool down so I can reattach the elbow. Ughh

I will say that throughout my install, Terry has promptly responded to all my emails and helped me troubleshoot until 11pm last night. That man gets two thumbs up in my book
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Jeff, I also think its my solenoid...going to check the grounds tonight.
A simple power and ground hook up and listen for a click.

For the rest of the guys 99% of these problems are install error, so triple check every detail. Its always the simple stuff.
Appreciate 0