E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d tyres and brakes dilema...UPDATE - Now its just failed its MOT !

06-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
crazyniz
Private
Rep
Drives: Black 335D

335d tyres and brakes dilema..2ND.UPDATE - MOT passed !

Ok so my lovely e92 335d has hit 40k and has been due its front pads and discs doing for the last 4k miles. The brakes still feel ok, but someone who knows more about cars than me had a look and said i needed them changed.

So i get quotes of £530 for my front pads and discs. Is there a cheaper way of getting these done? im thinking europarts, and i think i just need a pair of pads, discs and sensors....not too sure.

Im not to technically minded, but i dont want to be that sucker who doesnt know better and just gets it done at the dealer !

To the tyres, my lovlely back braking bridgestone potenze runflats, ive read the new 3rd generation bridgestones are much better but looking online £310 per corner seems a little steep. The stealers quoted me £760.13 for both rears.

I know theres alot of threads on here about RFT's, but i cant seem to find a definitive guide...

Correct me if im wrong....

do i just get like for like size tyres ?
What happens to the pressure check system ?
will tyre fitters know what to do about the system and sensor ?
Is tyreweld ok and reliable enough ?
Ive got full RAC cover, will they be ok helping me/towing me if ive got rid of my rft's?

Im not a track driver, just the occasional spirited drive...i still get 500 miles out of a tank, so im clearly not going mental ! So any suggestions for a good all weather tyre with good mileage?

i was going to just sod it and get 2 pirelli pzero's for £250 each fitted from blackcircles. 255/30/19.

I kept reading the forums views on rft's and its convinced me to change.

Thanks in advance guys.

Just thought i would say, i f****** love this car to bits, best decision i ever made !

Last edited by crazyniz; 06-10-2010 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Where are you based in the UK?
      06-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Hi mate, there's a lot of stuff if you search, especilly on runflats etc.

There are no sensors.
The tyre fitter just fits the tyres, no need to do anything else.
You will need to reset the pressure system the same as you have to when you put any air in your RFTs.
Tyreweld is adequate, but remember you'll need a new tyre after using it. (same as a punctured RFT)
RAC don't give a toss, they'll tow you whatever.

Remember you shouldn't mix runflats with non runflats, so you should change all 4 tyres if you go to non rfts.

Correct size and speed rating are all you need. You can buy a full set of top spec Conti sport contact 3's for your car on 19" for £800 or less, not much more than 2 rear RFTs at the dealer.

Try www.event-tyres.co.uk they'll fit at home/work and beat blackcircles etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
crazyniz
Private
Rep

Down south in crawley, west sussex.

Just a quick update, my mind on the runflats are made up now i think.

The car just failed its MOT, 30% imbalance on the front brakes....so i will get them replaced, no bother as they were due anyway.

But can anyone gues why else it failed.....

first clue BMW

second clue RFT's

third clue 19inch

fourth and final clue rear alloy's.......

can you guess what it is yet (said in a dodgy rolf harris accent)

yep ive got a lovely cracked alloy, got three days left under the warrenty. Got quoted £30 quid to get it welded...or should i go through the stress of seeing if BMW will replace under warranty ?

Will let you guys know what happens, all this has left me thinking replace the lot with 17inch alloys with normal tyres and just get a spare full size for the boot.

I need reliability, im not really getting it with the car at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

get yourself some falken-452 tyres from www.camskill.co.uk be much cheaper and similar performance for alot less money.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
crazyniz
Private
Rep

rsmallwo - im presuming youre running these...how much mileage do you get out of these? Correct me if im wrong but the compound in RFT's are much harder than normal tyres, so normal ones would wear quicker.

Like i said earlier i only floor it every now and then, so the longer they last the better, my current bridgestone potenza runflats have done 20k plus and the mot man today goes ive still got plenty for another 6 months at least.

doughboy - thanks for the info, so pretty straight forward. Was hoping just to change the rears to normal, but the bold font scared me a little so i wont be doing that.

This cracked alloy business, dont know if i should get some 17" and normal pat tyres around them.... Any ideas on cost and which ones would be ok on them ?

thanks guys

Last edited by crazyniz; 06-09-2010 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

The tread compound on RFTs is no harder than reg tyres really, so they don't last any different.

The side walls are stiffer, but not the tread.

Cracked alloy, hmm nasty, I still thinks its bes to to buy a new wheel and then get 4 new non rfts fitted.

You can argue about the wheel with BMW afterwards, how much time left till your MOT is due?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
crazyniz
Private
Rep

Thats my problem....it was first registered 12th june 07...so 3 days.

I couldnt be bothered with the hassle of getting bmw to check it, verify it, test it....and turn around and say you went over a pothole.

The MOT guy goes theres no evidence of a pothole or kerbing causing the issue. But from reading online, sod it, its too hit and miss and i need the car for work. If i get it welded surely they wont touch it right ?

Ive still got 6 months in my rear tyres apparently, a bit of side wear but still going well in the middle. I think i will recheck closer to winter, when times up, il get the rims rechecked and if ok load it up with non RFT's. My two front rft's are looking good, another 10k in them at least.

Doughboy what set up have you got ? 19" + conti non-RFT's + spacesaver/tyreweld ?

Would you change the set up ?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
crazyniz
Private
Rep

Is there any updates on the cracked alloy scenario ? i know from trying to read the countless threads on it that bmw have stopped the 19" option alloy on new cars, well they said this in a statement after the whole watchdog thing.

i actually went on the website, they are still offering one rim that is 19" in the online configurator thingy !

Plus ive read that some places dont like replacing RFT's with normal ones. Why cant life be simple....
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Is it an M-Sport? With the 225 wheels?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Just to help, I am based in Bognor and we will fit nonrfts to your wheels, if you can't get locally. Very competive as well. And your brakes.

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #12
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Im at 50k and just swapped the front brakes last week.
I used Brakes International for the rotors, and some EBC redstuff pads from Camskill (£100 ish)

B.I. rotors are £118 a pair delivered WITH the wear sensor

I have used them and tracked them really hard on my R26 and S2000's and they are excellent, no need to pay more.

I have the 335i but the fronts are the same I believe.
Brakes International part# is BDS6442 for the discs, BPW0578 for a 3 series wear sensor.
Online at www.brakesint.co.uk or on Tel 01706 666999

Front sensor will have to be replaced and a pattern part is about a tenner anywhere that sells the pads, or ebay.

Enjoy the saving and put it in your tank
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyniz View Post
Is there any updates on the cracked alloy scenario ? i know from trying to read the countless threads on it that bmw have stopped the 19" option alloy on new cars, well they said this in a statement after the whole watchdog thing.

i actually went on the website, they are still offering one rim that is 19" in the online configurator thingy !

Plus ive read that some places dont like replacing RFT's with normal ones. Why cant life be simple....
I had a 19" 230 replaced recently on my car foc. BMW have changed their attititude, they just need to enusure you are a genuine customer. Some dealers have had problems with traders swapping wheels and trying to blag it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
crazyniz
Private
Rep

SE spec with 230 style, one crack on the passenger side rear alloy.

Do you think the dealers will sort it out quickly for me? as its on the inside of the rim theyre gonna have to lift it up on a rig to see it?

What do you think the turn around time is for it ? as i need the car for work...i understand it may take a while but i need to get it sorted in the next 2 days.

Plus ive got a independent to sort out my brake pads and weld the crack for £180 all in. So thanks for the offers.

oli i work in bognor every now and then, will deffo get in contact for a quote when i swap round to non runflats.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
crazyniz
Private
Rep

Well all in all, got my MOT, cracked alloy welded and front pads+sensor sorted for £240.

Brakes will take a while to bed in, feel a bit soft but i think im thinking about them too much.

Reset all the service indicators....and im good till next spring i think. As soon as the backs are worn down, im gonna change them all, the michelin sp2's or conti sports...i couldnt find any falkens for my size rims ! Looking at £800 for the lot.
Appreciate 0