E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wastegate rattle dealer fix..

02-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #45
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Question Who was the Insurer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherbln View Post
My aftermarket warranty paid the dealer to replace my turbos for wastegate rattle. Total bill paid by aftermarket warranty: $4200.
Who do you have your Warranty with??
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #46
iwanna335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 SGM, ZSP, 6m, Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1284 View Post
Hmm..can't tell if it's my wastegates rattling or what. I can hear the noise when I tap the throttle a bit and let go. It's really loud when I start cold, and then gets quieter once I warm up a bit. I can also hear it upon accelerating (2-3k RPMs). I'm going to try to the Mr. 5 fix this weekend since I need the car to be pretty cold before I try it and burn my arm off

Note: I only noticed the rattling after I installed my downpipes. Did not hear anything prior to that...
I think you and I have the same problem going on. My car was 100% perfect until I installed my non catted DP's. There is a distinct rattle at startup, idle and when you blip the throttle.
I know the DP's were installed properly and they are a quality brand that everyone raves about on here. My mechanic that installed them made sure there was/is no where that the DP's are touching any part of the car to cause the rattle.
Please let us know if your fix solved the problem....I'm almost embarrassed to drive my car where people can hear it
Cheers
      02-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #47
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanna335 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1284 View Post
Hmm..can't tell if it's my wastegates rattling or what. I can hear the noise when I tap the throttle a bit and let go. It's really loud when I start cold, and then gets quieter once I warm up a bit. I can also hear it upon accelerating (2-3k RPMs). I'm going to try to the Mr. 5 fix this weekend since I need the car to be pretty cold before I try it and burn my arm off

Note: I only noticed the rattling after I installed my downpipes. Did not hear anything prior to that...
I think you and I have the same problem going on. My car was 100% perfect until I installed my non catted DP's. There is a distinct rattle at startup, idle and when you blip the throttle.
I know the DP's were installed properly and they are a quality brand that everyone raves about on here. My mechanic that installed them made sure there was/is no where that the DP's are touching any part of the car to cause the rattle.
Please let us know if your fix solved the problem....I'm almost embarrassed to drive my car where people can hear it
Cheers
Same thing happened to me, got so bad that I ended up putting the stock dp's back on. Went away completly. However this kinda worries me since if I need to replace anything under warranty I need the rattle when the car is stock.

Did mr.5's fix and it worked for a bit with the catless dp's then the sound came back worse then ever after a very high speed/long drive. Would click at idle. That's when I put stock dp's back in, did the mr.5 fix again and no rattle. Hate it b/c I want the catless
      04-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #48
Rustang Cobra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: like a Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
Same thing happened to me, got so bad that I ended up putting the stock dp's back on. Went away completly. However this kinda worries me since if I need to replace anything under warranty I need the rattle when the car is stock.

Did mr.5's fix and it worked for a bit with the catless dp's then the sound came back worse then ever after a very high speed/long drive. Would click at idle. That's when I put stock dp's back in, did the mr.5 fix again and no rattle. Hate it b/c I want the catless
The reason you guys hear the sound with catless DPs is because there is no longer a catalytic converter in place to muffle the sound of the wastegate rattling.

You have to remember that the wastegate is part of the exhaust system. When it opens, exhaust gas is routed away from the exhaust turbine of the turbo so it can slow down. When it is closed, exhaust gas hits the exhaust turbine which is connected to the compressor wheel of the turbo and creates boost.

As you remove parts of the exhaust system to make it more free flowing, it gets louder and you hear any other anomolies that were otherwise muffled before.

Putting stock DPs back on does NOT fix this problem and neither does doing a software update.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #49
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Greatttt, I just noticed a rattling sound last night while driving but it honestly sounded like a exhaust shield rattling, not my wg's. Maybe they are starting to act up?

Question, I'm assuming those that have gone into the dealer to have the acuators or turbo's replaced have removed most mods before doing so? I bet they wouldn't like it to much if you showed up with catless dp's.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #50
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
sub
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s