E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > car jerks at a full stop?

11-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
asado111
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

car jerks at a full stop?

I have 08 335i e90 and it's at 68,805 miles. I had replaced all brake pads and battery yesterday and had battery coded etc.. by an indy shop, but

yesterday before getting brakes replaced my car would jerk at a full stop, completely stopped and the car jerks, i had my brakes replaced and it does the same. today i had my battery replaced as it was going bad and programmed it from an indy and my car still jerks while at a full stop? what could cause this? only happening at full stops.

help please!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asado111 View Post
I have 08 335i e90 and it's at 68,805 miles. I had replaced all brake pads and battery yesterday and had battery coded etc.. by an indy shop, but

yesterday before getting brakes replaced my car would jerk at a full stop, completely stopped and the car jerks, i had my brakes replaced and it does the same. today i had my battery replaced as it was going bad and programmed it from an indy and my car still jerks while at a full stop? what could cause this? only happening at full stops.

help please!
Jerks at full stop??
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
I think I understand what you're describing. Does it feel like the car is surging/jerking forward at idle? Is your idle surging/jumping while this is happening? Have you pulled codes? Are you tuned?

From my understanding of what you described you should be getting a code or CEL. It could be anything from a large vacuum leak to a fuel delivery issue, or super dirty intake valves. Try to pull some codes and take it from there. Or at the very least, a video of what's happening might help with forum diagnosis

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
tsa1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asado111 View Post

help please!
You might be experiencing surging, my car would do this. Injectors were the problem, but you need to know which ones are malfunctioning.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
asado111
First Lieutenant
Rep

No check engine light yet, my fuel injectors/spark plugs/coils were all replaced recently, and yes like it jerks at full stop. I'll try to take a video but IDK if it will be noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
asado111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
I think I understand what you're describing. Does it feel like the car is surging/jerking forward at idle? Is your idle surging/jumping while this is happening? Have you pulled codes? Are you tuned?

From my understanding of what you described you should be getting a code or CEL. It could be anything from a large vacuum leak to a fuel delivery issue, or super dirty intake valves. Try to pull some codes and take it from there. Or at the very least, a video of what's happening might help with forum diagnosis
Yes, I recently put a cobb tune and after few weeks it started, should I remove tune and see?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
asado111
First Lieutenant
Rep

What can cause it to surge/jerk?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
asado111
First Lieutenant
Rep

anyone? help?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Broken motor mount or trans mount
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
asado111
First Lieutenant
Rep

i have cobb accessport, any specific testing i should do to see what it could be? i noticed the vehicle load was steady at 20, but when jerking occured it'd jump to 21-22.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
We are going to need some more info before we can really be of much help. With what you have provided we are all just throwing our guesses into the hat.

You said no CEL, but have you actually scanned for codes, or are you just going by the fact that there is no CEL or half engine light on currently? Not all codes will trigger an idiot light (or trigger one right away). You have COBB so use it to pull codes.

Also, I don't think I saw where you answered my question about the idle: Is the idle surging while this is happening?

This kind of info would help with diagnosis.

Also, you mentioned you just had some coding done by an indy shop. Does the option not exist for you to take the car back to the indy who last touched your car and let them know that you are now experiencing this problem? It looks like you recently replaced a lot of parts on the car. My initial wild guess would be that something was installed incorrectly.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
asado111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
We are going to need some more info before we can really be of much help. With what you have provided we are all just throwing our guesses into the hat.

You said no CEL, but have you actually scanned for codes, or are you just going by the fact that there is no CEL or half engine light on currently? Not all codes will trigger an idiot light (or trigger one right away). You have COBB so use it to pull codes.

Also, I don't think I saw where you answered my question about the idle: Is the idle surging while this is happening?

This kind of info would help with diagnosis.

Also, you mentioned you just had some coding done by an indy shop. Does the option not exist for you to take the car back to the indy who last touched your car and let them know that you are now experiencing this problem? It looks like you recently replaced a lot of parts on the car. My initial wild guess would be that something was installed incorrectly.
I scanned codes, nothing. Used COBB for that as well. Yes, it's happening at idle surging/very slow moving speed of car (~5mph) i can feel it still jerking, not at high speeds. The jerking happened after my battery died and I had to charge it up and all, so nothing to do with the Cobb tune at all or battery I think.

I uninstalled cobb though, still jerking. I also checked vehicle load at idle, it'd stay at 20 when the car jerked etc.. it'll jump to 21-22.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0