E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Next steps?

12-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Whitman158
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Next steps?

Apologies if this is not the correct area. I am looking for input regarding my next steps. I currenlty drive a 2011 335i xDrive. I have a BMS intake, VRSF charge pipe, Dinan Free flow exhaust, JB4 with BT connect running map 5 with about 30% E85. I am considering an intercooler or catted DP as the next mods but am open to suggestion. Thoughts?
      12-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Toome
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitman158 View Post
Apologies if this is not the correct area. I am looking for input regarding my next steps. I currenlty drive a 2011 335i xDrive. I have a BMS intake, VRSF charge pipe, Dinan Free flow exhaust, JB4 with BT connect running map 5 with about 30% E85. I am considering an intercooler or catted DP as the next mods but am open to suggestion. Thoughts?
Don't worry you're in the right place. What are your end goals for the car?
      12-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Whitman158
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toome View Post
Unfortunately I Am not really sure how to answer that. I originally wanted to get about 400 WHP but not sure how likely that is with the AWD. Right now its still my daily driver and i just want to be quicker. Not faster. I have had it to 152 and that was fast enough. 😉
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately I Am not really sure how to answer that. I originally wanted to get about 400 WHP but not sure how likely that is with the AWD. Right now its still my daily driver and i just want to be quicker. Not faster. I have had it to 152 and that was fast enough. 😉
400whp isn't possible on a stock turbo N55. Max you'll see is around 380whp on RWD cars.

Intercooler is more of a supporting mod and will give power gains in warm weather, because the car won't pull timing from heat soak.

Regarding the downpipe, do you mean you're looking into a catless or a high flow catted one?

If you are sticking with your JB4 I'd also look into getting a BEF (back end flash).
      12-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #5
Whitman158
United_States
Rep

For now i am thinking of a high flow catted dp. And as for the jb4 just got it.. so sticking with it for a bit, but i have gone through both BMW PPK and Dinan tunes. Time will tell. I need to read up more on the BEF. Likewise recently looking at something to change the shift points.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #6
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For now i am thinking of a high flow catted dp. And as for the jb4 just got it.. so sticking with it for a bit, but i have gone through both BMW PPK and Dinan tunes. Time will tell. I need to read up more on the BEF. Likewise recently looking at something to change the shift points.
A high flow catted dp can still give a SES light. A BEF would also disable that (although you'll have to add that in to the tune or have Terry @bms do it for you).

I think both the dp and intercooler are both important in order to make the most reliable power possible.

A BEF will also help out a lot with drivability as you regain the ability to do half throttle pulls. You may find MHD only is better for you as many of us have, but YMMV.

I have an Alpina flash which really changed the way the car shifted, although I might be moving to xHP stage 3 in the near future, which is supposedly even better.
      12-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #7
Whitman158
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
A high flow catted dp can still give a SES light. A BEF would also disable that (although you'll have to add that in to the tune or have Terry @bms do it for you).

I think both the dp and intercooler are both important in order to make the most reliable power possible.

A BEF will also help out a lot with drivability as you regain the ability to do half throttle pulls. You may find MHD only is better for you as many of us have, but YMMV.

I have an Alpina flash which really changed the way the car shifted, although I might be moving to xHP stage 3 in the near future, which is supposedly even better.
Thanks. I am definitely interested in the alpina and i will look into the mhd. Trying to get everything out of the car I can
      12-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #8
Whitman158
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. I am definitely interested in the alpina and i will look into the mhd. Trying to get everything out of the car I can
I ordered both an intercooler and downpipe. Hopefully these will hold me over for a bit. Now to look into the Alpina flash.
      12-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
dleccord
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

Quote:
which dinan tune did you get? s2?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
Whitman158
United_States
Rep

Quote:
which dinan tune did you get? s2?[/QUOTE]

I got the Dianan P1 which is the stage 2 tune and the exhaust
      12-18-2017, 01:46 AM   #11
dleccord
Captain
Rep

Quote:
which dinan tune did you get? s2?

I got the Dianan P1 which is the stage 2 tune and the exhaust[/QUOTE]

how was the stage 2 tune compared to stock? and the current tune you have?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 03:23 AM   #12
Whitman158
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleccord View Post
how was the stage 2 tune compared to stock? and the current tune you have?
The Dinan stage 2 tune is great over stock. Very noticable increase until the top end of each gear. That seems to be a limitation of the turbo and not the tune.

My experience with the Dinan vs JB4 (and I still have the Dinan stage 2 as the base- map 0) it feels better than than JB4 on map 1 but thats where it seems to end. Map 2 is more agressive. And map 5 really seems to bring the car to life. For me the dinan tune is some where between map 1 and 2 on the JB4. I will see if anything changes after the DP is installed.
      12-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
dleccord
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The Dinan stage 2 tune is great over stock. Very noticable increase until the top end of each gear. That seems to be a limitation of the turbo and not the tune.

My experience with the Dinan vs JB4 (and I still have the Dinan stage 2 as the base- map 0) it feels better than than JB4 on map 1 but thats where it seems to end. Map 2 is more agressive. And map 5 really seems to bring the car to life. For me the dinan tune is some where between map 1 and 2 on the JB4. I will see if anything changes after the DP is installed.
is there a difference between map 2 and 5, if you don't run ethanol? oh and thanks for the summary on dinan. i might make the plunge for the dinan s2 and be done performance-wise since it's currently on sale.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #14
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleccord View Post
is there a difference between map 2 and 5, if you don't run ethanol? oh and thanks for the summary on dinan. i might make the plunge for the dinan s2 and be done performance-wise since it's currently on sale.
Map 5 will always give the most aggressive tune possible with your fuel, ambient temperature, etc.
Map 2 has a set boost level.