E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > NOX Emulator - anyone used one?

11-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #23
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46m3 e91 N53 e90 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ppy View Post
So can we potentially remove the secondary cats with this Nox emulator. The reason for removal would be for increased noise and slightly better performance.

The Emulator would tell the DME that the cat is still in place and everything is normal, right?
You could remove the box catalyst, thats it... A remap could remove primary cats etc..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #24
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i, F31 328i

Interested to know if anyone has tried one of the emulators yet? Mine has the usual 30EA DeNOx catalyst sulfuric error. Fuel consumption averages at low to mid 20s no matter how careful I am, compared to low 30s 18 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 05:54 AM   #25
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320i 2010 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongmark View Post
Interested to know if anyone has tried one of the emulators yet? Mine has the usual 30EA DeNOx catalyst sulfuric error. Fuel consumption averages at low to mid 20s no matter how careful I am, compared to low 30s 18 months ago.
I used to get 30EA quite often aswell, but it's never affected MPG that much, usually get low 30's or mid 30's if trying. I suspect the problem is coming from somewhere else.

Have you tried the fast drive to regenerate the Nox cat? Engine warmed, 75mph drive for about 30 mins or so. When I get the 30EA error code occasionally now, in INPA it also states the mg of Nox in the cat, but it's well below the limit normally required to trigger that code, so I suspect that for me it's a faulty injector/misfire that is causing problems with the Nox sensor.
      12-04-2017, 06:42 AM   #26
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I've tried long drives with at least half a tank of fuel and keeping speed consistently above indicated 75 (can be difficult with moderate motorway traffic). Even tried a motorway run at 75 in low gear (I think 4th) but it didn't clear the code. Manually cleared it a few times but it came back within days.

I had both O2 sensors replaced due to EML last year and a 'Terra Clean' and 'EDT' (oil ways clean) at the same time. Leading up to this the MPG dropped well into the teens. Immediately after, the error was gone, but eventually came back. Since this the engine runs fine, no EML or rough running. Done an oil and filters change since then also, and changed spark plugs last year (NGK).

No other errors, just the 30EA and poor MPG. The exhaust is quite smokey at times (not blue or anything), smells strong of petrol too sometimes from outside the car. I get the feeling it's running rich most of the time.

Last edited by wrongmark; 12-04-2017 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Can't spell
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #27
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

I'm getting some sort of nox sensor short circuit and am torn between the 250 excess and getting it fixed by BMW or trying out this emulator. Car is running fine so the third option is ignore it as what typically happens is BMW look at the car and it comes back with a new issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #28
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm assuming you have some kind of extended warranty with BMW? I don't have any experience with this but would they not fix anything else related in the same claim? YOu could end up with a nox cat replacement?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #29
leew88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E60 530i

Hi,

New here, I'm normally active on the E60 forums, but this one provides much more technical info regarding the N53.

I was the one who opted to try the NOXEM emulator on my car, you can check out my review on

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/123618...-codes/?page=5

I have no issues since fitting it, car runs stratified flawlessly and definately better MPG on steady cruise.

I can also confirm that a BOSCH lambda sensor is used, the thread diameter is smaller compared to the OEM NOX sensor so they provide you with an adaptor.

They also provide lifetime guarantee for the electronics part of the emulator and 12 months warranty for the Lambda probe itself which is one of the reason I went this route as the OEM NOX seems like a consumable item with the amount that fails. I did make a note of the part number of the BOSCH lambda sensor before fitting and after a quick search on the NET it is available as a generic item so this can be DIY replaced in the future.
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2017, 01:50 AM   #30
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Any issues with the MOT emissions test since fitting?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 06:35 AM   #31
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm assuming you have some kind of extended warranty with BMW? I don't have any experience with this but would they not fix anything else related in the same claim? YOu could end up with a nox cat replacement?
Correct.. have mondial warranty. Nox is playing up at moment but am considering dropping the car out of mondial and doing it all myself. Oil catch can, new cam cover vent, nox emulator etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 06:36 AM   #32
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew88 View Post
Hi,

New here, I'm normally active on the E60 forums, but this one provides much more technical info regarding the N53.

I was the one who opted to try the NOXEM emulator on my car, you can check out my review on

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/123618...-codes/?page=5

I have no issues since fitting it, car runs stratified flawlessly and definately better MPG on steady cruise.

I can also confirm that a BOSCH lambda sensor is used, the thread diameter is smaller compared to the OEM NOX sensor so they provide you with an adaptor.

They also provide lifetime guarantee for the electronics part of the emulator and 12 months warranty for the Lambda probe itself which is one of the reason I went this route as the OEM NOX seems like a consumable item with the amount that fails. I did make a note of the part number of the BOSCH lambda sensor before fitting and after a quick search on the NET it is available as a generic item so this can be DIY replaced in the future.
Interesting.. thanks for the feedback. I like that you get more MPG!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #33
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, thanks for that. I spent most of yesterday evening reading the blogs on bmwprofs as a result. Very informative. Looks like I'll probably go for it. My biggest issue is getting access to it. Believe it or not, I bought a used nox sensor off ebay last year and just gave up and put it back on ebay. Might just get a local garage to fit it or rent a ramp for an hour.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #34
leew88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Any issues with the MOT emissions test since fitting?
Had my MOT in Oct no issues at all.

The emulator does not alter the emissions in a bad way, it actually restored the normal operation of the engine ie Statified lean burn, re-generation etc. Even if the NOX cat went bad in the future, the emulator is supposed to mask it and not flag up any F/C's.

Also MOT only measures CO and HC (handled by the normal CAT's upstream), whereas NOX is not in-scope in the emissions test.

There is also another thing you should all look out for during MOT time is when they carry out the fast-idle test your Lambda should be => 2.0 on the DI engines running stratified, whereas normal non-DI is normally around Lambda 1.0. I've actually had a MOT station fail me on this when I first got my car, it's only when I rang BMW HQ who intervened to confirm this was the correct spec for DI engines. They then realised that they entered the wrong 530i engine parameters (pre-DI engine) into their emissions computer...doh

Last edited by leew88; 12-05-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #35
leew88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, thanks for that. I spent most of yesterday evening reading the blogs on bmwprofs as a result. Very informative. Looks like I'll probably go for it. My biggest issue is getting access to it. Believe it or not, I bought a used nox sensor off ebay last year and just gave up and put it back on ebay. Might just get a local garage to fit it or rent a ramp for an hour.
It's actually not too bad if you have two axel stands and trolley jack, I also used the wind-up jack to get everything into position before I crawled under from the side of the car. You basically need to jack it up so that your car is approx 30deg sideways if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #36
leew88
Enlisted Member
Rep

One little last tip when installing the NOXEM control unit / sensor probe. Unlike the original OEM sensor where you can screw it in without twisting the cable harness, the NOXEM version has a fixed cable harness to the sensor probe so the cable harness will twist when you start screwing it into the exhaust. So the trick is to screw it in first, untangle the twist before routing your harness and bolting the electronic control unit onto you chassis.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #37
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Nice one Lee!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #38
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

NOXEM ordered today. Hopefully will arrive before Xmas so I can fit it while I知 off. Leew88 I might need some advice doing the reset procedure. I usually use BMWCarly for errors and coding. Just got a K+DCAN cable today and found a version of INPA on the web, but not really sure what I知 doing.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #39
leew88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
NOXEM ordered today. Hopefully will arrive before Xmas so I can fit it while I知 off. Leew88 I might need some advice doing the reset procedure. I usually use BMWCarly for errors and coding. Just got a K+DCAN cable today and found a version of INPA on the web, but not really sure what I知 doing.
Yeah no worries you can PM me.

In short once you have INPA connected follow these steps

a) in INPA choose model - in your case it's E90 (Shift+F6), then choose engine: MSD80 for N43/N53;

b) choose deleting option for fuel trims: press F8;

c) choose the 2nd group, press F2;

d) press F6, to delete long-term adaptation fuel trims.

Note: the engine has to be switched off, but ignition = ON.

More detailed info on the below link including the best way to re-adapt.
https://bimmerprofs.com/how-i-perform-n53-adaptations/

You also need to register "replacement of the NOX cat" so everything related is reset, their instructions ask to perform this using ISTA-D which I don't have but I manage to find it in DIS which did the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #40
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you can get INPA working there are some good guides on Bimmerprofs for checking mixture, lambda sensors, cylinder balance, injectors etc. as you say you have really poor mpg and exhaust smoke there might be something else that needs fixing as well.
      12-08-2017, 01:10 AM   #41
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Got INPA working but who it痴 not the same version as the one on Bimmerprofs. The options are on different F keys.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 03:37 AM   #42
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

In E90 > Engine > MSD80 I have INPA loader 1.01, on some of the screens it shows this at the top. Some of the bimmerprofs pages show you the F keys for both versions 1.01 and 2.023. Earlier in this thread is a download for 2.023, I think it has more functions/screens around adaptations and NOx sensor readings.
      12-11-2017, 03:43 AM   #43
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok thanks. Was wondering are there any gains to be had with/without remap by having the NOx cat removed after fitting the NOXEM.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 02:42 AM   #44
jamherber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330i N53 & Lotus Elise

Quote:
Ok thanks. Was wondering are there any gains to be had with/without remap by having the NOx cat removed after fitting the NOXEM.
Any gains would be negligible IHMO. If you have the performance backbox fitted though, it would sound much better without the NOx cat.
Appreciate 0