E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Audio Table of Contents: Upgrading? Start HERE!

06-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #155
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
This thread needs to be updated with all the audio gadget options.

I have spent hours upon hours looking through this forum and still cannot identify what options I can or can't retrofit - USB, Ipod, Bluetooth streaming, etc.

It's so confusing, and just when I find a thread that looks like it's making sense, people are saying "its not released yet" and the thread is dated 2008 or 2009... I still haven't found anything that makes sense. Everyones using code names and there's no where that explains them. 6NR 6NL 6FL MULF2 TCU CIC CCC CDC MOST i-BUS SA644 SA640 SA609 M-ASK... wtf is going on.

Last edited by Scotty89; 06-26-2014 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #156
CertifiedOfficial
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 JB 330i Non-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89 View Post

I have spent hours upon hours looking through this forum and still cannot identify what options I can or can't retrofit - USB, Ipod, Bluetooth streaming, etc.

It's so confusing, and just when I find a thread that looks like it's making sense, people are saying "its not released yet" and the thread is dated 2008 or 2009... I still haven't found anything that makes sense. Everyones using code names and there's no where that explains them. 6NR 6NL 6FL MULF2 TCU CIC CCC CDC MOST i-BUS SA644 SA640 SA609 M-ASK... wtf is going on.
I'm still trying to make sense of all this stuff since buying my 330i a few months ago... Best I've figured is that the TCU is a module that adds Bluetooth for pre-MULF (xx/07 build date?) E9X. CIC/CCC are the computers for iDrive, one is newer than the other. The SA___ are option codes, like pre-wired for a CD changer and such.

My E90 has a Sirius module and the TCU which gives it Bluetooth. Also has an aux input, but no USB. Looking to add USB at some point in the future, and it seems I can add the MULF and replace my Sirius module with it, move the pins to a new connector for the MULF, code it, and be done. I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 09:43 PM   #157
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty89 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertifiedOfficial View Post
I'm still trying to make sense of all this stuff since buying my 330i a few months ago... Best I've figured is that the TCU is a module that adds Bluetooth for pre-MULF (xx/07 build date?) E9X. CIC/CCC are the computers for iDrive, one is newer than the other. The SA___ are option codes, like pre-wired for a CD changer and such.

My E90 has a Sirius module and the TCU which gives it Bluetooth. Also has an aux input, but no USB. Looking to add USB at some point in the future, and it seems I can add the MULF and replace my Sirius module with it, move the pins to a new connector for the MULF, code it, and be done. I think.
That is not the intent of this thread, all of this information can be found with a quick search. I applaud the response. The thread was created to avoid re-posting the same links over and over again. For answers to this kind of question, usually a search will yield results, if not, we can answer the occasional question.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #158
CertifiedOfficial
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
That is not the intent of this thread, all of this information can be found with a quick search. I applaud the response. The thread was created to avoid re-posting the same links over and over again. For answers to this kind of question, usually a search will yield results, if not, we can answer the occasional question.
And therein lies the issue... There's so many options and things that aren't clear, especially little differences in audio setups even after spending hours searching and reading multiple threads on things. It's not "just a quick search." I've been reading off and on for adding USB to my E90 for months, but all I can gather is little snippets of info hear and there, versus something more like a clear-cut DIY. If I wanted to add BT via the TCU, there's a DIY for that. But not adding the MULF to a non-MULF but MOST-enabled E90.

Please understand that I do have a basic grasp of the various audio systems and some of the modules (read the stickies). Then you have people referring to the same module with multiple names (TCU, MULF, MULF2, MULF-hi, etc).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #159
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertifiedOfficial
Quote:
And therein lies the issue... There's so many options and things that aren't clear, especially little differences in audio setups even after spending hours searching and reading multiple threads on things. It's not "just a quick search." I've been reading off and on for adding USB to my E90 for months, but all I can gather is little snippets of info hear and there, versus something more like a clear-cut DIY. If I wanted to add BT via the TCU, there's a DIY for that. But not adding the MULF to a non-MULF but MOST-enabled E90.

Please understand that I do have a basic grasp of the various audio systems and some of the modules (read the stickies). Then you have people referring to the same module with multiple names (TCU, MULF, MULF2, MULF-hi, etc).
Sorry man, it takes someone volunteering their time to compile this much info. It took me like a week to write this thread. And i am far from an expert on the items you are discussing.

Fyi TCU and MULF are not the same thing. TCU is normally associated with bmw assist and bluetooth, whereas the MULF is used for 6FL, USB& iPod interface. It also happens to have a bluetooth capability that some people have tapped into, but it doesnt come that way from factory.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #160
CertifiedOfficial
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry man, it takes someone volunteering their time to compile this much info. It took me like a week to write this thread. And i am far from an expert on the items you are discussing.

Fyi TCU and MULF are not the same thing. TCU is normally associated with bmw assist and bluetooth, whereas the MULF is used for 6FL, USB& iPod interface. It also happens to have a bluetooth capability that some people have tapped into, but it doesnt come that way from factory.
I understand. I just figured someone would've done it by now. I've written some similar guides and they're never a quick thing.

I know the TCU and MULF aren't the same, I'm just throwing the acronyms out there. For reference, my E90 has a TCU as it has Bluetooth and BMW Assist, as well as the aux input, but no USB. I know the MULF can do all the functions of the TCU, but that's about as far as I've gotten. I've actually been chatting with another member here about it, and he has seen (read) something about someone running the TCU and MULF in parallel. Of course coding was required and I believe repinning the TCU connector was necessary. I hope to attempt the retrofit eventually, but time and funds haven't quite lined up.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #161
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

There needs to be a separate thread for features

There needs to be a separate thread for features
like blue tooth audio and some of the newer internet options
this was intended for sound quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #162
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Why is this not a sticky!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #163
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Well nobody has taken the time or has the knowledge

Well nobody has taken the time or has the knowledge.
Or all the knowledge and it really hard to get things stickied here.
Or almost anywhere I guess.

Also since this was suppose be an informational thread after the first
two or three pages is has kind of degenerated into a ask questions thread
which I don't think it was intended to be, especialy since a lot of the topics
are not about sound quality and how to get it.

The bluetooth sticky is the closest thing buts it's all OEM
It looks like this board needs more sub boards.
Like maybe a bluetooth and Internet sub board.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #164
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Could be made into a locked sticky though...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #165
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

thread doesn't deserve sticky until it's fully fixed

the stuff about replacing with an aftermarket head unit isn't necessarily true (could be different in the USA) - plug and played no worries in the few i've seen. (all bongs, steering wheel control etc.)

nor does it even list USEFUL things like the mounting depth of the stock underseat speaker (54mm, as far as i'm aware)

imo it's just so much easier to ditch everything factory, and get a proper sound system... too few people bother doing this.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #166
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
thread doesn't deserve sticky until it's fully fixed

the stuff about replacing with an aftermarket head unit isn't necessarily true (could be different in the USA) - plug and played no worries in the few i've seen. (all bongs, steering wheel control etc.)

nor does it even list USEFUL things like the mounting depth of the stock underseat speaker (54mm, as far as i'm aware)

imo it's just so much easier to ditch everything factory, and get a proper sound system... too few people bother doing this.
Be my guest...or did you expect me to spend more than the week ive already invested
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #167
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you want to do Head Unit is should be separate

If you want to do Head Unit sticky it should be separate
because its and entirely different set of problems.
This was intended for sound quality upgrades.
Also a separate one on subs would be good.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #168
lwrs10
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I recently built an ipod interface that works with the cd changer connection in the trunk of my E90. As soon as I get all the bugs worked out I will post a DIY. The most expensive part of it was the coding required.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #169
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

WARNING: There are known manufacturing defects for OEM Head Units produced from 2009-2014, BMW have published a service bulletin for the issue. It's most prevalent on HiFi cars. See this link for details

Quote:
Logic7 (SA688) /Harman Kardon (SA677) (Top Hifi) & EPS (Enhanced Premium Sound w/ DIRAC - from M3 and individual 3-series)

Technic's Explanation of MOST vs S/PDIF (TOSLINK) fiber optic connections
Updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #170
CertifiedOfficial
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrs10 View Post
I recently built an ipod interface that works with the cd changer connection in the trunk of my E90. As soon as I get all the bugs worked out I will post a DIY. The most expensive part of it was the coding required.
Would love to hear more! Especially if this works for the 06 E9X!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 12:31 AM   #171
drewchris18
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

Great info.

Please advise

How do I get Techic harness?
Trying to install Helix dsp to stock bmw head unit.
looking for speaker adapters for front door and woofer underseat.

Do I have to run new speaker wires to front door and what is the best way?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 12:40 AM   #172
drewchris18
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

help installing helix dsp to head unit

what is the best way to install helix dsp?

Looking for speaker adapters for underseat woofer, and front doors.
trying to install a morel 8 inch woofer, and morel mw 114s ( 4inch mid ) front door.

can anyone advise if the factory speaker wires and good enough or should i run

thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 06:33 AM   #173
sunmans
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 320i M-sport

What system do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewchris18 View Post
what is the best way to install helix dsp?

Looking for speaker adapters for underseat woofer, and front doors.
trying to install a morel 8 inch woofer, and morel mw 114s ( 4inch mid ) front door.

can anyone advise if the factory speaker wires and good enough or should i run

thanks,
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #174
gatheringsteak
Registered
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2011 E90 335i Sedan

Awesome wealth of info right here, got a 335i and am ready to start upgrading, will be contacting Technic soon for a harness!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #175
45drive45
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 & 118

Ideas to Upgrade

Hi,

I am new here but I have done upgrading on various other cars.

I have a question about upgrading the BASE system.

1. I understand that the Under seat woofers and front speakers are in parallel?? Correct?

2. The high level signal coming to the woofers would be full range? Correct? But will be EQ-ed by the HU.

So instead of using harness etc, would the following method of upgrade work??

1. Tap the signal from the input of the woofers. ( obviously disconnecting the Woofers)

2. Run the left and right tapped signals to a processor that performs summation and EQ if required. I believe that would give full range. If the processor requires more channel input, then just parallel the inputs to the other Processor inputs.

3. Run the Processor Output to a 4 or 6 channel amp. ( depending if you still want the rear speakers to be powered). Disconnect rear speaker cables if not using 6-channels.

4. Disconnect all speaker connections and run new cables from each speaker ( front, underseat and rear) to the amp. At this point you could change speakers to whatever you like.

Would this work??

Drawback is:
1. Some signal tapping required but would not really be a big issue as the cables would not be close to the HU and only those that are closer to the stock speakers.
2. Extra speaker cables need to be run to the fronts and rears ( if used).

My plan was to just go for a 4 channel compact amp and forget abt the rear altogether.

Is this a good plan or am I totally off the mark?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #176
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45drive45
Hi,

I am new here but I have done upgrading on various other cars.

I have a question about upgrading the BASE system.

1. I understand that the Under seat woofers and front speakers are in parallel?? Correct?

2. The high level signal coming to the woofers would be full range? Correct? But will be EQ-ed by the HU.

So instead of using harness etc, would the following method of upgrade work??

1. Tap the signal from the input of the woofers. ( obviously disconnecting the Woofers)

2. Run the left and right tapped signals to a processor that performs summation and EQ if required. I believe that would give full range. If the processor requires more channel input, then just parallel the inputs to the other Processor inputs.

3. Run the Processor Output to a 4 or 6 channel amp. ( depending if you still want the rear speakers to be powered). Disconnect rear speaker cables if not using 6-channels.

4. Disconnect all speaker connections and run new cables from each speaker ( front, underseat and rear) to the amp. At this point you could change speakers to whatever you like.

Would this work??

Drawback is:
1. Some signal tapping required but would not really be a big issue as the cables would not be close to the HU and only those that are closer to the stock speakers.
2. Extra speaker cables need to be run to the fronts and rears ( if used).

My plan was to just go for a 4 channel compact amp and forget abt the rear altogether.

Is this a good plan or am I totally off the mark?
This is Correct. Good research!

Edit: if you run new underseat wires you can tap back into the vehicle harness which ultimately goes back to the doors
Appreciate 0