E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E91 is not a 007 submarine!! Flood damage!

11-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
Sparks69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Touring

Car was inspected by insurers today, so awaiting their verdict!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #24
Sparks69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Found out eventually the insurers want to repair the car!! Can't say I'm too happy about it!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
Sparks69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Rung up the dealers this morning for an update, for them to ask me when I was going to be picking the car up!! Since Tuesday afternoon they'd replaced engine, turbo, intercooler, clutch, starter motor and exhaust!! Collect the car in the morning!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #26
E93learner
Private
Rep
Drives: 420D F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks69 View Post
Rung up the dealers this morning for an update, for them to ask me when I was going to be picking the car up!! Since Tuesday afternoon they'd replaced engine, turbo, intercooler, clutch, starter motor and exhaust!! Collect the car in the morning!!
wow, that's atleast 10k of work. suprised insurance company still wanted to repair it.

make sure you get something in writing, as it was water you dont know what gremlins might creep up in the near future, as the water gets around.

what about your interior, did that get soaked?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #27
Sparks69
Enlisted Member
Rep

The estimate for the work was £11.5k!! I was surprised when I found out the car was going to be repaired!! especially as the first I knew about it was when I rang up the insurance company for an update two days after the inspection to find out the repairs had been authorised without my knowledge or approval!! As I assumed that the car was going to be written off I started looking and found another BMW and the BMW dealer refused to even bid on the car due to it being flood damaged!! So at the moment I'm refusing to collect the car and have lodged a complaint with Direct Line!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 03:49 AM   #28
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I don't think you'll find it is up to you to decide if the car is repaired or not!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #29
ian_m
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 330 d

Garage List
nothing to do with you, its up to the insurer. It is their right to repair, replace or scrap and offer a settlement. That is what you pay the premium for, to be put, as near as possible, in the same position as you were before the claim occurred.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:44 AM   #30
warriorboy
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport coupe

some may argue a better position, given that it has new engine and turbo etc
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #31
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
And one would assume warranty on the new parts?
      12-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #32
G_M_S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D

Unfortunately I doubt there would be any warranty, given that the bill was paid by the insurance company.

I would however try and get a detailed report from the garage as to what they replaced, even if they don't give you prices for the items.

May seem harsh, but like a warranty, insurers aren't there to improve your situation, but to put you back to where you where before the incident or offer options as ian_m mentions.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #33
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535d, E90 335d

My friend just had a similar water damage to his six month from brand new one series, his . He reckoned the water was about six inches deep only, which sounds shallow indeed.

I think the main problem is if you carry too much speed, the bow wave rises up to the top of the radiator where the air inlet is located and your engine, turbocharger thereafter is history!

I had a three series damaged after a head on collision. The costs to the third party insurer were something like £7000 for repairs, and £5000 for the 'like for like' loaner car they talked me into (since it was clear from the accident it was the third party to blame). I took the car to my local BMW and even after returning the car about a dozen times, they still could not get it right (long story).... I traded it in and got £7000..... Hmmm, left me thinking there was some very creative valuations done.... Before and after trade in. I certainly left the situation feeling I'd have been better off if it had been declared written off (I suspect the insurers had felt the same way)!

Good luck getting your car back in a fully operational state. I can sympathize with your situation and difficulty in trading it in. Whilst your car has been fully repaired, it's monetary value has been affected. From experience of several accidents I have been involved in all claimed from the third parties' insurance, in several hundred thousand miles of driving, I have always lost considerable money. Your experience presents a good argument for leasing. Motoring can inflict some very unpleasant surprises at times.

Last edited by spirocheter; 12-04-2012 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #34
Sparks69
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've now got the car back and it feels pretty good especially with the new clutch!! The judder I had has pretty much gone hope it stays that way!! I've still got a complaint lodged with the insurers about the total lack of communication, misleading info etc. I'll be surprised if anything comes of it! I'm still looking to replace the car but I'm not rushing as the positive aspect is I've got a new engine etc for £500!!
Appreciate 0