E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > cbs reporter suffers a stroke live on the air

02-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #23
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Them CBS female reporters are having a bad week.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...tml?tag=exclsv

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #24
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
Them CBS female reporters are having a bad week.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...tml?tag=exclsv
wow... that is horrible
      02-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #25
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

vid no longer there, fucking gay copyright claims
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #26
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I'm going with TIA based on somewhat losing control of half her mouth/face.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #27
mainstray
NSDQ
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
That's crazy!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #28
newdadkel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M CBM

Plus the sudden onset. She starts off normally, and then it just hits her. Hopefully nothing permanent, but she is going to get the million dollar work-up at the hospital.

If not a stroke, could be a small focal seizure that totally screws up her speech. Weird how the mind is wired.

On a lighter note, I could still understand her better than some of the posts I've seen in my short time in OT!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #29
E92TTKING
Colonel
Greece
Rep
Drives: e92

fap?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #30
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdadkel View Post
Plus the sudden onset. She starts off normally, and then it just hits her. Hopefully nothing permanent, but she is going to get the million dollar work-up at the hospital.

If not a stroke, could be a small focal seizure that totally screws up her speech. Weird how the mind is wired.

On a lighter note, I could still understand her better than some of the posts I've seen in my short time in OT!!!!!
they are saying the stroke came on before they started filming...it was a TIA which is basically a clot that temporarily prevents blood flow to a part of the brain which in her case was responsible for language...amazing thing is she doesn't even know she is speaking gibberish because notice how she keeps going despite making absolutely no sense at all......her brain is forming words and the pattern and tonality of the speech is the same, but the words are completely off. amazing stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #31
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
they are saying the stroke came on before they started filming...it was a TIA which is basically a clot that temporarily prevents blood flow to a part of the brain which in her case was responsible for language...amazing thing is she doesn't even know she is speaking gibberish because notice how she keeps going despite making absolutely no sense at all......her brain is forming words correctly and the pattern and tonality of the speech is the same, but the words are completely off. amazing stuff.
I think he is a doctor, probably knows what it is
      02-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #32
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I think he is a doctor, probably knows what it is
fair enough, just giving my take from what i've read about it...not all doctors are neurologists after all
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #33
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
amazing thing is she doesn't even know she is speaking gibberish because notice how she keeps going despite making absolutely no sense at all......amazing stuff.
i think she does notice because she looks like she labored through it. i think she realized that she was basically flubbing it but didn't know what was causing it, as often time is with strokes. what would you think if you were completely cognizant, but all the sudden, you couldn't formulate words, despite your best effort? it would throw me off, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #34
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
fair enough, just giving my take from what i've read about it...not all doctors are neurologists after all
haha wasnt being an ass, but even from my extensive House following I knew it was a stroke from the video. The fact she kept talking and didnt know she was doing it until after a few words, and as soon she lost function of her mouth/lips and they dipped down. They've had that a couple times on House lol.
      02-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #35
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
i think she does notice because she looks like she labored through it. i think she realized that she was basically flubbing it but didn't know what was causing it, as often time is with strokes. what would you think if you were completely cognizant, but all the sudden, you couldn't formulate words, despite your best effort? it would throw me off, too.
there could be a bunch of reasons she looked labored..but i guess i would have to agree she is at least somewhat aware she is flubbing it. whatever it is i think it's amazing and terrifying at the same time...

Last edited by TiAg335i; 02-15-2011 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 12:33 AM   #36
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
would be kind of crazy...i'd probably just stop talking and look around with a confused face as if asking what the fuck is going on

I remember the first time I got tipsy (haven't been drunk yet) and I remember having clear thoughts and thinking normally but I couldn't control my body completely...weird experience, like moving through jello
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #37
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
(haven't been drunk yet)
well me and a few gtr buddies are going for bulgogi in carrollton tonight + our typical trough of booze if you want to break the seal. haha
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #38
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
what would you think if you were completely cognizant, but all the sudden, you couldn't formulate words, despite your best effort? it would throw me off, too.
I'd be fucking terrified and confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
haha wasnt being an ass, but even from my extensive House following I knew it was a stroke from the video. The fact she kept talking and didnt know she was doing it until after a few words, and as soon she lost function of her mouth/lips and they dipped down. They've had that a couple times on House lol.
Is it Lupus?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #39
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I'd be fucking terrified and confused.

Is it Lupus?
I'm going with Legionnaires.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #40
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
well me and a few gtr buddies are going for bulgogi in carrollton tonight + our typical trough of booze if you want to break the seal. haha
hah, thanks for the invite man...unfortunately I am stuck in college station for school at the moment.

21 in two weeks
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #41
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
hah, thanks for the invite man...unfortunately I am stuck in college station for school at the moment.

21 in two weeks
getting drunk is overrated man. getting tipsy/buzzed is perfect. seriously...4 or 5 beers (4-5 shots) depending on your weight and call it a night. take it from someone who's been there done that (no i'm not an alcoholic).

yeah, get drunk for your 21st...but just make sure you have a bunch of sober buddies around you to take care of you in case you black out. it's a godsend.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #42
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
they are saying the stroke came on before they started filming...it was a TIA which is basically a clot that temporarily prevents blood flow to a part of the brain which in her case was responsible for language...amazing thing is she doesn't even know she is speaking gibberish because notice how she keeps going despite making absolutely no sense at all......her brain is forming words and the pattern and tonality of the speech is the same, but the words are completely off. amazing stuff.
A TIA is a type of stroke. Stroke is just a generic term for an occlusion (temporary or permanent) leading to loss or alteration of neurological function.

This was most likely a left MCA ischemic attack (temporary clot or whatever). I believe that an occlusion affecting a central branch of the left MCA would cause wernicke's aphasia, which is what she has: able to speak, but speech lacks any coherence or logic.

When that part of the brain is affected, not only do you lose the ability speak coherently, but that part of the brain is also responsible for understanding speech (your own and the speech of others). That's probably why she was confused - she likely couldn't even understand what she was saying.

Last edited by Echo M3; 02-16-2011 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #43
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
A TIA is a type of stroke. Stroke is just a generic term for an occlusion (temporary or permanent) leading to loss or alteration of neurological function.

This was most likely a left MCA ischemic attack (temporary clot or whatever). I believe that an occlusion affecting a central branch of the left MCA would cause wernicke's aphasia, which is what she has: able to speak, but speech lacks any coherence or logic.

When that part of the brain is affected, not only do you lose the ability speak coherently, but that part of the brain is also responsible for understanding speech (your own and the speech of others). That's probably why she was confused - she likely couldn't even understand what she was saying.
Sounds about right... Definitely a problem affecting Wernicke's area. I feel bad for her.
      02-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #44
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Ya this is what happened to my mom last year. It took her several months to recover fully but still has some hearing damage from it. My friend bruce had TIA last year as well at 35. High cholesterol was his issue. he got the worst pain in his head ever he said and couldn't talk hardly. You are never too young to suffer from anything like this. Genetics and damage you do to your body with Drugs and Alcohol will add to the risk.

Hope this reporter recovers 100%. It is possible.