E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Strange dashboard warning signal (a triangle with a ! inside - not DSC failure sign)

04-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
sandeep
BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Strange dashboard warning signal (a triangle with a ! inside - not DSC failure sign)

Yesterday, as I was planning to drive back home from office, I approached my car, unlocked it, got inside, put my keys in, DID NOT start the car and was talking on the phone. So the radio etc were on but not the engine. After around 10-15 mins after I was done with the call, I pressed the brakes and pushed the start/stop button. And the car just didnt start up and right then it also showed me a strange warning signal with a TRIANGLE and an ! (exclamation mark inside it). NOTE: It DID NOT HAVE A CIRCLE AROUND THE TRIANGLE (Which I know, is also the sign of DSC failure). So it wasn't that. Just a triangle with a ! inside it. What the hell was it?
By the way, I took out the keys right then, put it back in and tried to start again and no more warnings. The car started right up and drove normally. I checked the "check control" for any warning messages and nothing.
I am just wondering what the heck was that warning sign?
Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Scarecrows25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 - Jet Black

Yeah, I've had this too. I think the car senses movement (however minor) before you started the car, and won't start because it's locked the ignition, thinking that it's being stolen. If you pop the key out and back in, problem solved.

Anyone else?
      04-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xi & 2008 E90 335i

Do you have iDrive?

If you do hit the "i", select "info source" then "service" (if I remember correctly) and see the list of systems and if they are all green.

If you don't have iDrive I don't know.

My E91 does the same at times. Turns out it is the "State Inspection" (not required in my area) due soon. spoke to a SA and he says no rush, just have the thing resetted at the next service.

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
2007 E91 328xi | Black Sapphire | Terra | ALuminium | ZKO | ZKI | ZPL
Past Cars: 2004 ///M3, 2002 E46 330xi, 2003 GTI 1.8T, 1996 Neon
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
sandeep
BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate your help, I can finally breathe a sigh of relief.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
MUNIK-FL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nissan Titan XD

According to the owner's manual, the RED EXCLAMATION POINT INSIDE OF A RED TRIANGLE means that the car is past due for service. If you haven't completed service, you can take it in and they will turn it off for you when they service the car. If you do your own service, do the following to change the date:
1. Put the car in ACC mode (push start/stop twice)
2. Scroll through the BC options in the dash by using the rolling switch on the turn signal stalk.
3. Scroll through until you see SERVICE INFO by rolling up on the rolling switch
4. Push the BC button (also on the stalk). You should see a date that is past the current date.
5. Reset the date to whatever date you want (when ever you want to be reminded for service) by pushing and holding the BC button in until a square shows up around the month in the date. Use the rolling switch to change the month and then push the BC button to access the year. Roll through the years with the rolling switch and then hit the BC button to save.
2016 F15 X5 XDrive50i / Black/Black - Current