Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Need help with replacement sizing: Weird DTC issues

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
gramboda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Murdered X4 M40i

Need help with replacement sizing: Weird DTC issues

I am in the dreaded position of needing to replace my summer tires on my 2011 335xi sedan. I am hoping the community can help with some questions.

I plan to replace the run flats with normal tires in an effort to save some money. I currently have 255/30/19 on the rear and 225/35/19 on the front. The wheels aren't factory (BMW optional wheels).

I am currently running my winter tires on the factory wheels (18" BMW M appearance pkg). 245/40/18 on the rear and 225/40/18 on the front.

The door sticker lists recommended tires as 225/40/18 on the front and 255/35/18 on the rear.

Okay, all that said, here is my problem. I bought the car used and this is my second winter with the winter tires. I had zero issues with the tires last winter. However, I started to experience the DTC kicking in on dry pavement when making even normal turns. The cruise control also pulsates and kicks off when going over minor bumps on the hwy. I did not have either of these issues last winter with the winter tires on the car. The dealer took a look and said it was because I had the wrong size tires on the car and should have what it says on the door sticker. I didn't buy it, but what could I do so I've been living with the quirkiness all winter.

My fear is that I am going to start having similar issues with the new summer tires that I buy. I never had any issues in the past with the summer tires, but that didn't seem to matter with the winter tires. Further, I feel like I will be on my own if the problems arise because the dealer will blame the wrong size tires.

Of course I want to run my 19" wheels for the summer regardless. I am wondering if anyone can offer some insight or has experienced similar issues? Also, Tire Rack lists different sizes for my optional 19" tires. 235/35/19 for the front and 265/30/19 for the rear. Should I go with the sizes TR recommends? Or, should I go with what "I know works" and the same size I am replacing, fearing that the quirkiness may manifest itself no matter what I choose?

I hope this all makes sense and I really appreciate any help someone can offer. I will answer any questions for clarification. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboda View Post
I am in the dreaded position of needing to replace my summer tires on my 2011 335xi sedan. I am hoping the community can help with some questions.

I plan to replace the run flats with normal tires in an effort to save some money. I currently have 255/30/19 on the rear and 225/35/19 on the front. The wheels aren't factory (BMW optional wheels).

I am currently running my winter tires on the factory wheels (18" BMW M appearance pkg). 245/40/18 on the rear and 225/40/18 on the front.

The door sticker lists recommended tires as 225/40/18 on the front and 255/35/18 on the rear.

Okay, all that said, here is my problem. I bought the car used and this is my second winter with the winter tires. I had zero issues with the tires last winter. However, I started to experience the DTC kicking in on dry pavement when making even normal turns. The cruise control also pulsates and kicks off when going over minor bumps on the hwy. I did not have either of these issues last winter with the winter tires on the car. The dealer took a look and said it was because I had the wrong size tires on the car and should have what it says on the door sticker. I didn't buy it, but what could I do so I've been living with the quirkiness all winter.

My fear is that I am going to start having similar issues with the new summer tires that I buy. I never had any issues in the past with the summer tires, but that didn't seem to matter with the winter tires. Further, I feel like I will be on my own if the problems arise because the dealer will blame the wrong size tires.

Of course I want to run my 19" wheels for the summer regardless. I am wondering if anyone can offer some insight or has experienced similar issues? Also, Tire Rack lists different sizes for my optional 19" tires. 235/35/19 for the front and 265/30/19 for the rear. Should I go with the sizes TR recommends? Or, should I go with what "I know works" and the same size I am replacing, fearing that the quirkiness may manifest itself no matter what I choose?

I hope this all makes sense and I really appreciate any help someone can offer. I will answer any questions for clarification. Thanks in advance!
Your rear tire is too tall. Get them replaced ASAP since you can damage the xdrive from having the wrong sized tire. Use the tire calculator and make sure the front and rear are within 1%. The sizes you found on tire rack will work.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
gramboda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Murdered X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Your rear tire is too tall. Get them replaced ASAP since you can damage the xdrive from having the wrong sized tire. Use the tire calculator and make sure the front and rear are within 1%. The sizes you found on tire rack will work.
Thanks for the info! This is my second winter on the tires and there was at least one before I bought the car. Now I am freaking that the xdrive is compromised. UGH. If you don't mind, would you clarify what you mean by the front and rear being within 1%?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
The front and rear rolling diameters have to be one percent within each others range. The rolling diameter is the diameter of the tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboda View Post
Thanks for the info! This is my second winter on the tires and there was at least one before I bought the car. Now I am freaking that the xdrive is compromised. UGH. If you don't mind, would you clarify what you mean by the front and rear being within 1%?
Use the calculator at the top of the page. The difference in diameter with your current sizes is 2.449%.

With 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 it is 0.857% difference, which is fine.

235/35/19 and 275/30/19 is 0.077%.
Appreciate 0