E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > RS5

05-08-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

RS5

Just reading about the RS5. 450 bhp 65/35 torque split front 4 wheel drive dsg, and it looks great, plus class leading build quality. 50K out in december. Seriously thinking about it as my next car.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evospyshot...spy_shots.html

What do you guys think??
      05-08-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Yup!!! Gets my vote! Just hope it gets some more aggressive styling before its launched though as the spy shots look too similar to the S5.
      05-08-2009, 03:26 AM   #3
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Every Audi I've ever been in, always impressed by the build quality.

Who knows what technology may be shared amongst the respectives marques once this Porsche/VW/Audi/Lambo etc, etc merger takes place...........mongrels make the best all rounds pets they say.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, EQC, X5 40d, simrig

Garage List
I'm sure it'll go well and be built very well........ but will it get your juices going like an M-Car... probably not.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 03:35 AM   #5
Mr_Patience
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Coupe

I am sure it will not tickle aforementioned parts as a thoroughbred M does and always has IMO. I came to Beemer from an RS Audi and frankly they have gone too far sterile in their designs in recent years and there's not enough "special" about them to attract my custom back.....
      05-08-2009, 03:44 AM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Alot of the journalists said the new M3 was sterile but quite frankly I think it's typical British conservatism and not liking change. Once we all get used to it then the mind opens so to speak. Who knows, this new Audi could get the juices flowing but we all flow in different ways do we not.

Can't beat a good bit of healthy competition though for keeping everyone on their toes.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Looks and sounds impressive (from the write up) - I do like the A5 and had I not needed a four door, I would have gone back to Audi and bought an S5 as I really like them and do miss their interiors. The 3 series interior is OK but not a patch on the A5 IMO. I parked next to a dark grey S5 the other day and I must say it really stood out on the car park. Very big wheels and the twin exhausts etc, looked very smart indeed.

There will be others on here who say it is crap because of the power sapping 4 wheel drive and 'rolling' a 335D 'will live with it' but in the real world how many of us care about 'rolling races' and 1/4 mile strip times. It is more about the looks, the 'special' feeling when you climb inside it and the overall good feel it gives you as a car.

I say go for it, it will be an awesome car in it's own right. Not to be compared with an M6, but there are not many cars that can!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
Looks and sounds impressive (from the write up) - I do like the A5 and had I not needed a four door, I would have gone back to Audi and bought an S5 as I really like them and do miss their interiors. The 3 series interior is OK but not a patch on the A5 IMO. I parked next to a dark grey S5 the other day and I must say it really stood out on the car park. Very big wheels and the twin exhausts etc, looked very smart indeed.

There will be others on here who say it is crap because of the power sapping 4 wheel drive and 'rolling' a 335D 'will live with it' but in the real world how many of us care about 'rolling races' and 1/4 mile strip times. It is more about the looks, the 'special' feeling when you climb inside it and the overall good feel it gives you as a car.

I say go for it, it will be an awesome car in it's own right. Not to be compared with an M6, but there are not many cars that can!
Wise words Paul and with regards to 4WD/AWD, I'm now a convert. As for power sapping, well in the real world it sure as hell 'aint stopping me from overtaking at 'thrown in the back of the seat speeds', depends where your torque curve is eh.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Quote:
Well said mate. I am a real 4wd convert, now - 3 of my last cars being so, I really enjoy it, it also give you a real confidence when driving, no matter what the weather.

On the subject of the RS5, not really my cup of tea, as it will only seat 4, and I need a 5 seater, hence why I test drove the RS6 the other day...............OH MY GOD!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Well said mate. I am a real 4wd convert, now - 3 of my last cars being so, I really enjoy it, it also give you a real confidence when driving, no matter what the weather.

On the subject of the RS5, not really my cup of tea, as it will only seat 4, and I need a 5 seater, hence why I test drove the RS6 the other day...............OH MY GOD!
I bet...how did you get a chance to drive that. What's the feeling like in one of those????
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

Whilst picking my RS up after its 2nd service, I just asked. It is just so rapid, obviously big, and not everyones cup of tea, but I have three kids, so perfect. It actually feels like it is peeling the rubber off the tyres, relentless power, the gearbox is fantastic, and really smooth. When driving normally with the suspecion set to comfort, it just seems to float along - The best of both worlds. An absolutely awesome machine, and one I will seriously be thinking of when/if I get bored of the 4!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I have driven one also OLi, last summer. Very rapido.
      05-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Wise words Paul and with regards to 4WD/AWD, I'm now a convert. As for power sapping, well in the real world it sure as hell 'aint stopping me from overtaking at 'thrown in the back of the seat speeds', depends where your torque curve is eh.
I also like 4wd and really miss the sense of 'security' my A4 used to give me in poor weather conditions. In 2 years I don't think it ever scared or caught me out once. The Beemer is slower and has caught me out many times. The Audi was more planted on country lanes and came into it's own on wet surfaces. I know I can't sompare the 2 cars BUT they are similar priced and similar classed cars so will always be compared by the press etc.

Quote:

+1 - as above on the weather front. I had a lot more confidence when pressing on in the A4 quattro in bad weather than the 3'er. Do love rwd in the good weather though

Also agree about the S5 space issues, which is why the vert is being replaced by an E90. I need four doors and the practicality of a saloon for a while and the M3 fits the bill perfectly. The RS4 was an option but not available in new shape yet and I would have wanted a new shape one if I was buying new.

Bet that RS6 was stunning! When you getting it?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Bet that RS6 was stunning! When you getting it?
Thats not fair Red!!! Egging poor Oli on like that....

Stevie A - love the S5 and expect the RS5 will be brilliant. Top choice for your next motor I'd say
      05-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

When they drop below £40k! Already warned the wife. Will be perfect for the growing family, plus the benefits of 580BHP, or 700BHP when Oettinger have breathed on it.

I think I'll have a white one......

If anyone get a chance go for it - Doesn't feel like a two tonne car at all
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #16
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Steven, you were thinking of dumping the M6 because of lack of space in the back, the RS5 is going to be even worse!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #17
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

My personal opinion on this is that I am REALLY keen on the RS4, but because I hated my S4 so so much I dont know if I could go for another Audi.

The interior of the S4 was brilliant, the Sat Nav, switches, build quality, leather,finish etc was light years ahead of BMW and yet the car never even tickled my excitement buttons let alone pushed them!

I realise of course that an RS4 or any RS is a different prospect, with way more power, way more noise and way more lots of other things - but still, it didnt so much feel like the S4 was lacking in power.... it was just plain lacking!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #18
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

M5 Touring > RS4 anyday

Think the RS5 will be a beauty tho, love the classy and understated styling and top quality interior, unlike our 3ers...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #19
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
M5 Touring > RS4 anyday

Think the RS5 will be a beauty tho, love the classy and understated styling and top quality interior, unlike our 3ers...
For my sort of driving my RS averages 17 ish, god knows what the M5 would be........
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 02:33 AM   #20
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
For my sort of driving my RS averages 17 ish, god knows what the M5 would be........

Oli i get 11.7 mpg from the M6 so the M5T would ain all prbbaility be less
      05-09-2009, 05:22 AM   #21
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
very good point! well at least you have a sure way of building up Shell points fast
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #22
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
Oli i get 11.7 mpg from the M6 so the M5T would ain all prbbaility be less

What would you get if you were an "old-man" driver...11.7 lol that is ridiculous. Do you drive like Jenson Button all the time or is it just the M6 drinks petrol? You must be keeping petrol demand up to par
Appreciate 0