E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car backed up into my front bumper!

11-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
nt_loader
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Car backed up into my front bumper!

So im sitting at the light waiting to make a left when all of a sudden the car in front of me nails my bumper. Lady comes out and tells me she was putting in her contacts and hit reverse on accident.

We pulled over and I have some damage to the bumper and front grill, the grill is loose and the bumper looks pinched in two spots. Should I take it to BMW for an estimate or go to an indi shop?

The other option is to let it go but I dont know if I can live with the pinch in the bumper. From what I can tell it looks a little pushed in as the hood and bumper dont flow perfectly.

Those of you with E90's does your hood and bumper align perfectly or is the bumper in about 1/4 inch?

Should I make her pay for a new bumper?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
BMWUltimateDriv3r
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 328xi

Definitely do not let it go, there is a good chance of some internal damage that only a professional can spot.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport

make her pay; it's like an itch that you can't get rid of!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
nt_loader
Private
Rep

Ok I decided to take the car in and have it looked at, im sure they will end up replacing the bumper and grill. Hopefully nothing is seriously smashed on the inside.

Will this show up on a car fax now?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
cb2188
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt_loader View Post
Ok I decided to take the car in and have it looked at, im sure they will end up replacing the bumper and grill. Hopefully nothing is seriously smashed on the inside.

Will this show up on a car fax now?
I think the damage needs to be over a certain amount in order for it to show up on a car fax. I think its over $500 but you better double check.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

The damage will show up to Carfax if their is a claim or if a police report /DMV report is written.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
E90Graphite07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

That's life man... if you're worried bout a hit on carfax, you better pursue against the insurance for depreciation value. Get it appraised, and the adjuster will be obligated to offer you a lump sum for depreciation, on top of also covering the cost of getting your vehicle appraised. Like someone suggested, don't let it go.

If it were me, I'd pick out the best shops in town and go to one w/ a five-star rating and all. It's your choice to pick which shop. They're not going to be your friend (insurance) so make sure you get an equivalent sized vehicle; if they try to low-ball you, imply that you have kids, car seats to haul, a wheelchair to haul for your parents, etc. I've been tossed w/ proposed smaller cars, and at the end, I'll get a small SUV or full size car. Suck'em dry and make them pay for causing you this heartache.

Join us on Facebook:
E90Post - Houston
Houston BMW DIY Services
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
S2Krazzee
Private
Rep
Drives: 335gone/s2k/S4/GS350

Maybe let it go and be her good graces and let good karma come to you in the far run?
Just my 2 cents
      11-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
nt_loader
Private
Rep

Car is going in for an estimate on Friday, taking her to the local BMW auto body shop. I was going to let it go but I looked at the damage again this morning under more light and its definately pushed back.

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the one about depreciation!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

lady was putting in her contact.

1. didnt drive to side of the road to perform contact fix
2. didnt take sufficient time to put car in park (which she should know) in order to perform contact fix.
3. girl/lady.

just careless. i have no comment on the dmg w/o seeing it. best to have it inspected and then go from there.

ppp

p.s. next time that shit happens... jam on the gas and push her out into the line of traffic.... oops officer sudden acceleration... but i digress with thanksgiving comming up.
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
Speedwagon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post

2. didnt take sufficient time to put car in park (which she should know) in order to perform contact fix.
3. girl/lady.

just careless. i have no comment on the dmg w/o seeing it. best to have it inspected and then go from there.

ppp

p.s. next time that shit happens... jam on the gas and push her out into the line of traffic.... oops officer sudden acceleration... but i digress with thanksgiving comming up.
Okay then! Like the profile pix!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
nt_loader
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post

3. girl/lady.

ppp

Ha Ha pushing her out into the traffic

Anyway she was nice and filed a claim with her insurance company, her adjuster will call me next week. The damage is minimal but it wasnt there before she hit me so I want it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Matrixolution
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 xi

You are lucky cuz the lady/girl could've blamed you on rear ending her, especially if you don't have witness..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
nt_loader
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixolution View Post
You are lucky cuz the lady/girl could've blamed you on rear ending her, especially if you don't have witness..
Yea thats a good point, fortunately she didnt!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nt_loader View Post
Yea thats a good point, fortunately she didnt!
Did you get a police report stating she backed into you? If you didn't she could suddenly change her tune when she finds out how much it will cost to repair. I got backed into and it didn't seem like a whole lot of damages occured, but it ended up around $5k.
      11-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
nt_loader
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Did you get a police report stating she backed into you? If you didn't she could suddenly change her tune when she finds out how much it will cost to repair. I got backed into and it didn't seem like a whole lot of damages occured, but it ended up around $5k.
No police report which was dumb on my part but she did call her and my insurance company and told them she backed into me.

I guess im covered at this point. My insurance carrier told me I have 2 choices, either go somewhere of my choice and pay the deductable on my policy, or submit the claim through her insurance.

Im going to submit the claim through her insurance.
Appreciate 0