E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY-Door panel and outside mirror...

09-20-2006, 07:32 AM   #23
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

here is why I said you might need to get new tab. Looking at the photo, you can see that the tab has ridges (black arrow) on all four sides. In the process of removing the trim, these ridges get worn out (or even bend backward). Generally, you only need to replace the tab that comes off the door panel. If the tab is still stuck on the door panel, it means the ridges are still good (so no need to replace it). Hope that helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #24
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

sure does help, and nice macro photos!
      10-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #25
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

txusa03, you'd be the man if you could make a DIY for the B-pillar trim. What I'm talking about is replacing that trim with Shadowline. The guys at the dealership said it would take them 5 hours and therefore cost me $500 in labor!!! Think you could make DIY on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #26
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
txusa03, you'd be the man if you could make a DIY for the B-pillar trim. What I'm talking about is replacing that trim with Shadowline. The guys at the dealership said it would take them 5 hours and therefore cost me $500 in labor!!! Think you could make DIY on this?
dude I do this because I was curious and not to prove my manhood. What exactly are you referring too when you say B-pillar trim? A photo depicting that section on the car would help. I am not a guru in car terminology (I am sure you can tell by now). I am not promissing anything but need clarification on what is B-pillar?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #27
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
awesome DIY:rocks:i droped a bolt when replacing my key hole cover and its been probably around 7 months since. finally got around to doing this today and with the help, i was able to fix the rattle from the loose bolt. took all of 20 mins

edit: something to help you not scratch the paint or the door panel would be to use 2 old credit/library/phone cards. both should slot between the door and the panel with ease and then use your flat head screwdriver in-between the 2 cards and shimmy it apart!
      06-25-2007, 07:45 AM   #28
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer View Post
awesome DIY:rocks:i droped a bolt when replacing my key hole cover and its been probably around 7 months since. finally got around to doing this today and with the help, i was able to fix the rattle from the loose bolt. took all of 20 mins

edit: something to help you not scratch the paint or the door panel would be to use 2 old credit/library/phone cards. both should slot between the door and the panel with ease and then use your flat head screwdriver in-between the 2 cards and shimmy it apart!
Nice work. I like the idea of the old credit/library card to protect the paint and door panel.
      12-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #29
xdrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Hi everyone,
Is it possible to replace the exterior side view mirrors with the fold in ones? Just order the OEM ones and tap into the electrical wires currently used to adjust the mirrors and use it for the motorized mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #30
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

Thanks for the DIY. One question though... how does the top part of the door panel come off? I tried pulling off my door panel but the top would not come off. Do I have to lift it first and then pull?

Thanks.
      01-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #31
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby9 View Post
Thanks for the DIY. One question though... how does the top part of the door panel come off? I tried pulling off my door panel but the top would not come off. Do I have to lift it first and then pull?

Thanks.
It has been a while since i did this. Sorry I might not have made it clear. Once all the lower part of the door panel are loose, I believe you simply lift the panel up and the panel will come right out.
      01-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #32
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

I figured it out! There was one more screw that had to be removed for the passenger side under the curved handle. Finished my speaker upgrade!

Thanks again for the DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
It has been a while since i did this. Sorry I might not have made it clear. Once all the lower part of the door panel are loose, I believe you simply lift the panel up and the panel will come right out.
      01-10-2008, 07:58 AM   #33
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby9 View Post
I figured it out! There was one more screw that had to be removed for the passenger side under the curved handle. Finished my speaker upgrade!

Thanks again for the DIY.
ah, did not realized you were talking about the pass side. There is a thread that explain how to remove the pass door panel with the curl door handle. That thread is not stickie so I will just reference it to complete the DIY so no one will have to run around and search for that particular thread:

How to remove curl door handle for passenger doors thanks to Jamez :http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...63&postcount=1
      03-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #34
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Excellent DIY. My tint installer missed an upper clip on one of my back doors, so I had this hump when my windows were rolled down. I used this DIY to get my back door panel off and remounted the door panel. Everything looks great!!

Few tips... instead of using a screwdriver, credit cards and all that other stuff. Go to Walmart and buy the Scosche Radio install kit. It comes with a plastic tool that helps remove panels and the plastic clips. It was only like $15. Worked like a charm and didn't do any paint damage or damage to the panel. Another tip for those e90 owners. Start popping off the trim from the rear of the door because the hook is at the front of the door. Hope that helps
      11-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #35
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
Excellent DIY. My tint installer missed an upper clip on one of my back doors, so I had this hump when my windows were rolled down. I used this DIY to get my back door panel off and remounted the door panel. Everything looks great!!

Few tips... instead of using a screwdriver, credit cards and all that other stuff. Go to Walmart and buy the Scosche Radio install kit. It comes with a plastic tool that helps remove panels and the plastic clips. It was only like $15. Worked like a charm and didn't do any paint damage or damage to the panel. Another tip for those e90 owners. Start popping off the trim from the rear of the door because the hook is at the front of the door. Hope that helps
So with the rear door, you start off at the rear edge of the door, I did not know that it is opposite the front door because I did not take the rear door panel off. Thanks for this bit of info.

Glad you got your problem fixed to your satisfaction.
      08-20-2009, 01:13 AM   #36
mrwink2006
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Apline White 325i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrive View Post
Hi everyone,
Is it possible to replace the exterior side view mirrors with the fold in ones? Just order the OEM ones and tap into the electrical wires currently used to adjust the mirrors and use it for the motorized mirrors?
Has anyone figured out if this is possible? It seems that most things on this car are plug and play...I assume you'd have to swap out the switch too.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #37
Bimmer325
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post

did u mean the Trim (Rear Door) should be removed from the Back instead of Front? any pics?
325i Arctics M-Sport, Gray Leather with Alu Trim, ///M DCT Paddleshift, ///M Gear Knob, BBS LM-R 19", Michelin PS2, KW V2, H&R Anti Roll Bars, BMW Performance Air Intake System, 3D Front Lip, ACS Roof Spoiler, OEM Boot Spoiler, Osram 6000K, Brex White Ring, PIAA 6200K HID Fog, PIAA License Plate LED, BMS Powerbox
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #38
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

^ Yes that is correct. Start with the rear of the trim for the back doors. The hook is on the front of the trim on the rear doors of the e90. Sorry, I don't have any pics.
      12-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #39
scanlangsb
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

took my door panels off today with ease. thanks for the instructions. I now have a great component set of speakers installed. great upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #40
ililillilillilil
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 TT

BTW, for the e92, there are 4 long screws behind the wood trim and one more behind the door handle. just yank the plastic trim off of the handle to get to the last screw.
then just pull the inside door panel then pull the speaker off. its held by one small clip.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #41
RaceFab
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

As im sure you know you dont need to remove the door panel to remove the mirrors or trim.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #42
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

Good job, I needed this DIY

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #43
acnhdernegw
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 08 AW E92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFab View Post
As im sure you know you dont need to remove the door panel to remove the mirrors or trim.
HI RaceFab
you mind sharing how to remove the mirrors without remove the door panel please ?? THanks
      08-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #44
nomile
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi; 318ti

I just did this and wanted to add: instead of prying the door panel off with a screwdriver (which I started doing but marred the underside of the panel), just pull on the "map-holder" - panel pops right off. Thanks for the great write-up - made it pretty easy.
Appreciate 0