E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Diesel Tunes

12-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #23
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

wow money back 14? i might just have to try it but im afraid i'll get stuck w/ it.

Have any of you guys running JBD's noticed your urea DEF being used quicker?

also i'd like to know exactly what the JBD does too. Does it up boost, inject more fuel?

Would a better intercooler help a diesel since it relies on compressing the air in order to ignite the fuel wouldn't a hotter air temp be better than a cold one or does good dense cold air still help it?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #24
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolieman1220 View Post
wow money back 14? i might just have to try it but im afraid i'll get stuck w/ it.

Have any of you guys running JBD's noticed your urea DEF being used quicker?

also i'd like to know exactly what the JBD does too. Does it up boost, inject more fuel?

Would a better intercooler help a diesel since it relies on compressing the air in order to ignite the fuel wouldn't a hotter air temp be better than a cold one or does good dense cold air still help it?
It is my understanding that most of the gains are a result of increased fuel delivery. However, the boost was also increased although it was minor.

Terry/Mike feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #25
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

I asked the same question to Terry over on that other forum that deals with n54 technology.... he said the boost is only marginally increased, basically all the gains just come from more fuel. Not having an ignition system sure makes tuning easier!

I'm wondering if that can cause problems with too much soot overloading the DPF, but I'm sure there's some headroom engineered into that.

Anyway the 2nd gear launch is really how this car shines. It's kind of bizarre how the engine just goes to 2000rpm and stays there for a while, and you just feel the g-forces building. Definitely a different kind of power delivery but it's awesome!
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #26
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post

I'm wondering if that can cause problems with too much soot overloading the DPF, but I'm sure there's some headroom engineered into that.

Anyway the 2nd gear launch is really how this car shines. It's kind of bizarre how the engine just goes to 2000rpm and stays there for a while, and you just feel the g-forces building. Definitely a different kind of power delivery but it's awesome!
DPF does regenerate but it can be replaced too and i'm sure its very expensive. I could imagine DEF draining out REAL quick. I know the car can burn it off as well.

I love second gear launches and the power delivery on this car. i love it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #27
Sailor737
Rep

First off i wanted to thank you guys for all the knowledge that i'm already learning from this site. I bought my first BMW about two weeks ago and already purchased the JBD chip. I installed it last night and then put it up to 100% I was concerned that i wouldn't be able to really tell a difference but it really smoothed it out even more than it already was AND it pulls like a CHAMP! It put a huge grin on my face and i almost giggled. i also took some of you guys' advice and did a few 2nd gear launches and that does the trick. I'm excited to have a 6 hour drive out to Vegas today so i will really test it out on the highway! Thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #28
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor737 View Post
First off i wanted to thank you guys for all the knowledge that i'm already learning from this site. I bought my first BMW about two weeks ago and already purchased the JBD chip. I installed it last night and then put it up to 100% I was concerned that i wouldn't be able to really tell a difference but it really smoothed it out even more than it already was AND it pulls like a CHAMP! It put a huge grin on my face and i almost giggled. i also took some of you guys' advice and did a few 2nd gear launches and that does the trick. I'm excited to have a 6 hour drive out to Vegas today so i will really test it out on the highway! Thanks everyone
Awesome Glad you're enjoying your new toy!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #29
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Greetings tuned diesel fans. I feel that I should share a tuned diesel experience that I have had. Not a BMW, but the same principles apply. If you are not interested in the back story, just jump to the last paragraph.

My brother and I put a full Banks kit on a Ford F350, it is a very good quality complete kit, tuning, intercooler all new intake and exhaust piping , gauges and fail safes. It also has a dial from 1-6, so you can select how much power you want. Naturally I put it on 6 and left it there.

For its size and capability we don’t use the truck that hard (my company owns the truck, so I am not the only driver, hence the I/we). After about 40,000 miles the truck had some mechanical issues (a HPFP) that required a trip to the dealer for an expensive tear down. ‘While they were in there’ they found that the turbo was ‘coked up’ soot had accumulated on the exhaust side of the turbo and was almost to the point of interfering with the turbo’s operation, it had to be rebuilt.

The truck was rarely smokey even on ‘6’ and the mechanics did not blame the tune and said they had seen this on lightly used heavy duty trucks. It is obvious to me that dumping more fuel on a regular basis isn’t helpful.

Here is what I have done, and what I would recommend. I no longer leave the tune pegged, it is on ‘3’ now rather than ‘6’ and it never smokes even when you floor it on freeway on ramps (the only place it ever smoked a little on ‘6’). The 335d should never smoke with all its high tech-ness so this isn’t a reasonable test for it.

For the 335d I would definitely remove the tune or dial it to its lowest setting before any long road trips. It is important for these modern diesels to get up to temperature and work a little as designed to keep soot from accumulating. I would also dial it down for mountain driving where the engine will be under constant load and have the opportunity to work a little as it was designed to without having excess fuel put into the system.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #30
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor737 View Post
post a review please and thank you! on the highway of course! vids too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Greetings tuned diesel fans. I feel that I should share a tuned diesel experience that I have had. Not a BMW, but the same principles apply. If you are not interested in the back story, just jump to the last paragraph.

My brother and I put a full Banks kit on a Ford F350, it is a very good quality complete kit, tuning, intercooler all new intake and exhaust piping , gauges and fail safes. It also has a dial from 1-6, so you can select how much power you want. Naturally I put it on 6 and left it there.

For its size and capability we don’t use the truck that hard (my company owns the truck, so I am not the only driver, hence the I/we). After about 40,000 miles the truck had some mechanical issues (a HPFP) that required a trip to the dealer for an expensive tear down. ‘While they were in there’ they found that the turbo was ‘coked up’ soot had accumulated on the exhaust side of the turbo and was almost to the point of interfering with the turbo’s operation, it had to be rebuilt.

The truck was rarely smokey even on ‘6’ and the mechanics did not blame the tune and said they had seen this on lightly used heavy duty trucks. It is obvious to me that dumping more fuel on a regular basis isn’t helpful.

Here is what I have done, and what I would recommend. I no longer leave the tune pegged, it is on ‘3’ now rather than ‘6’ and it never smokes even when you floor it on freeway on ramps (the only place it ever smoked a little on ‘6’). The 335d should never smoke with all its high tech-ness so this isn’t a reasonable test for it.

For the 335d I would definitely remove the tune or dial it to its lowest setting before any long road trips. It is important for these modern diesels to get up to temperature and work a little as designed to keep soot from accumulating. I would also dial it down for mountain driving where the engine will be under constant load and have the opportunity to work a little as it was designed to without having excess fuel put into the system.
I've heard those older F series diesels give lots of problems. I know a guy who had a full tune on his and be blew a rod through his oil pan. I totally agree with what you are saying which is why I go against tuning my 335d.

In the meantime, I will live vicariously through you gentlemen!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #31
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:

I've heard those older F series diesels give lots of problems. I know a guy who had a full tune on his and be blew a rod through his oil pan. I totally agree with what you are saying which is why I go against tuning my 335d.

In the meantime, I will live vicariously through you gentlemen!
My two biggest concerns are the DPF and the transmission.

The ZF box in our diesels is a wonderful unit but only rated to an input of 443 lb/ft of torque. Even on the lowest settings, these chips are greatly exceeding that. Even a little bit of slippage can eventually cause some big issues.
What's more, I'd be willing to bet no one is planning on changing their transmission fluid every 30-40k.

I'm not hating, I think the premise of the chips is sweet! Just wish there was more that could be done to reinforce the surrounding parts.

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport |'09 335d Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #32
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
My two biggest concerns are the DPF and the transmission.

The ZF box in our diesels is a wonderful unit but only rated to an input of 443 lb/ft of torque. Even on the lowest settings, these chips are greatly exceeding that. Even a little bit of slippage can eventually cause some big issues.
What's more, I'd be willing to bet no one is planning on changing their transmission fluid every 30-40k.

I'm not hating, I think the premise of the chips is sweet! Just wish there was more that could be done to reinforce the surrounding parts.
I'd like an "M" button in my car. Ok I need an extra push of power, push the button and its there. Turn if off when I don't need it and I'd be more than happy...

however power corrupts and once you get a little taste of it you want MORE!!! I don't blame you guys though haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #33
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
‘While they were in there’ they found that the turbo was ‘coked up’ soot had accumulated on the exhaust side of the turbo and was almost to the point of interfering with the turbo’s operation, it had to be rebuilt.

MSM, thank you for relaying your experience - this should be a cautionary tale for all of us. Did the truck have a DEF system? I'm wondering if the action of the DEF in our cars would tend to diminish the sooting you described in the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #34
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
MSM, thank you for relaying your experience - this should be a cautionary tale for all of us. Did the truck have a DEF system? I'm wondering if the action of the DEF in our cars would tend to diminish the sooting you described in the turbo.
It does not, however this issue occurred upstream of where any DEF system would be. I would be even more cautious with these sequential turbos then the big single on the Ford.

I am going to leave my X5d stock
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #35
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I've heard those older F series diesels give lots of problems. I know a guy who had a full tune on his and be blew a rod through his oil pan.
I bet he had an early Bully Dog tune, one of the more dimwitted products IMO.

The old 7.3L are pretty bullet proof (and loud as hell). The 6.0L (the one I have experience with) and the 6.4L (I believe that is the correct displacement) have been known to be problem children. I think they are good engines, and for the most part the problem engines are not getting the service that they need.

Everything in the modern diesel is related to everything else. For example in the 6.0L engine oil is used to pressurize the HPFP, which feeds the injectors, and there is a ‘module’ that controls the injectors. If one of those things goes bad (leaking oil in the HPFP, the problem that my truck had) it can kill one or more of the injectors, and screw up the module (I don’t know exactly what it does to the control module, I suspect it overheats it due to requiring a longer pulse). You have to keep your oil clean, you must use the correct oil etc or bad things that you would never expect can happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #36
JhnR
Laker Land
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

did anyone dyno they 335d after the tune?

how much hp/tq do you get?

how bout a 1/4 mile? any numbers.

my 335 is in service, and they gave me a 335d and OH my GOD this thing drives soo nice, and feels as fast as my 335?? sooo niceee
      12-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #37
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhnR View Post
did anyone dyno they 335d after the tune?

how much hp/tq do you get?

how bout a 1/4 mile? any numbers.

my 335 is in service, and they gave me a 335d and OH my GOD this thing drives soo nice, and feels as fast as my 335?? sooo niceee
not sure about dyno, i beleive its about 100 extra torque. not sure if its at the wheels or engine.

as per quarter mile, a guy did it on here stock 14.2, chipped it and got a 13.6 i believe trap 105mph. insane. look for it. Thread is called "My diesel review" enjoy the d, shame they use d's as loaners....
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #38
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
shame they use d's as loaners....
Its the best way to spread the good news.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #39
JhnR
Laker Land
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

i absolutely love this 335d. i never thought in my life they drive this nice. and so much power..its insane!!