Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > AAARGHH. So annoyed. Mechanic screwed up installing my winter wheels

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

AAARGHH. So annoyed. Mechanic screwed up installing my winter wheels

So I just took my car in today to have my winter wheels (stock 335xi sport package 18" style 162s) put back on my car. Now, unlike my summer wheels, which are visibly different and have 255s in back and 225s up front, my winters have 225s all around. With that being said, the rear wheels are a half inch (8.5) wider than the fronts. I specifically mention this to my mechanic and ask them to make sure that they check to make sure the wider wheels are on the back since the tire size is the same. They assure me that they will.

I pick up my car after work and drive home. Steering feels a little weird. I notice a lot of brake dust from last year on one of the rear wheels which is odd because the fronts usually have way more.

I break out the old tape measure and realize that on my right side, the wheels are reversed.

So now I have to go back tomorrow and get this dealt with. At least the train is right by their garage. Just fucking annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Titanium3Series
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

You really should just buy a jack and just change the wheels yourself so you know it is done correctly....
      11-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Man, that sucks. Something so rudimentary should never happen, but if it makes you feel any better, once I took my staggered summers in to get new tires mounted and the bonehead crew at the time mounted my 235's for the front(8.5") on my rear wheels that are 9.5". I even had to be sure they got the tire rotation correct! After that first tire I became the interim supervisor until they were all good to go. Suffice it to say, I still go to this place as the Manager and I have become friends and thankfully he fired those momo's and got a seasoned crew.
      11-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium3Series View Post
You really should just buy a jack and just change the wheels yourself so you know it is done correctly....
Funny I was just thinking that to myself today. I have a garage too.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
Man, that sucks. Something so rudimentary should never happen, but if it makes you feel any better, once I took my staggered summers in to get new tires mounted and the bonehead crew at the time mounted my 235's for the front(8.5") on my rear wheels that are 9.5". I even had to be sure they got the tire rotation correct! After that first tire I became the interim supervisor until they were all good to go. Suffice it to say, I still go to this place as the Manager and I have become friends and thankfully he fired those momo's and got a seasoned crew.
Ha. Yeah, it does make me feel a little better. I'm just glad I noticed. Us e90post guys probably pay more attention to that than the average person. If I was the average motorist, I probably would have driven like that all winter long.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Also when you have the wheels off for the season is a good time to clean off that brake dust.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I know. I got lazy. Now it'll take some elbow grease. Kinda glad though. It's what made me think that the wheels were reversed in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
brewnami
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe

Do you not have a jack? This would have probably taken less time to do yourself in your driveway/garage than it would to drive somewhere to pay someone else to do it; and do it incorrectly. It used to take me 10 mins or so to change to my winter wheels on my Audi in a dirt driveway using the widow maker jack that came with the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

lol you used a tape measure when you could have just read the tire sizes on the sidewall. if your mechanic screws that up.. its time for a new mechanic.

also, you can swap wheels in your garage in under 20minutes with a jack and stands.
      11-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
WachYourBac
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
lol you used a tape measure when you could have just read the tire sizes on the sidewall. if your mechanic screws that up.. its time for a new mechanic.

also, you can swap wheels in your garage in under 20minutes with a jack and stands.
Someone needs to

His Winter tires are 235 all around, while his wheels are staggered 18X8 in front 18X8.5 in the rear. Looking at the sidewall of the tire would not help, since all the tires are the same size. Hence him measuring the wheel.

Anywhoo.

I'd say just go buy a jack and do it yourself. Then you can always check your wheels for cracks etc. It's one of the basic tools you should have in your garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WachYourBac View Post
Someone needs to
doh! got me.

well. he still needs a new shop since they didnt read the rim sizes on the inside of the wheels. If he continues to have a shop do it. blue painters tape and a black marker for where they should go.
      11-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
WachYourBac
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
doh! got me.

well. he still needs a new shop since they didnt read the rim sizes on the inside of the wheels. If he continues to have a shop do it. blue painters tape and a black marker for where they should go.

Indeed, that is an extremely silly mistake to make, especially for a shop...
Appreciate 0