E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Car randomly shutting down. Please help!

07-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #1
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Car randomly shutting down. Please help!

Hello all,

Hoping my fellow Georgians can assist.

Here's the situation. When i come to a complete stop after driving for a short period of time the RPM's on my vehicle will bottom out causing my engine to shut down. The radio, power options, etc will be working fine when this happens. Due to this, I have to put the car back in park in order to fire the engine back up again. Maybe its my imagination, but for some reason it only seems to happen when i am using my AC. The check engine light has been on for a short period of time as well. I went and got it coded when it first appeared and it was associated with an EVAP leak. I took it to a local indy (Rocco's in Marietta), because it is close to where i work. They said the purge valve and vanos fault codes were pulling in. They repaired the purge valve, cleaned and swapped the vanos solenoids, and repaired a transmission pan leak. Everything appeared to be ok in the short term. That is until my check engine light reappeared and my car suddenly turned off at a complete stop again, this time in downtown Atlanta . I took it back to my indy and they told me to leave it with them for a day so they could run some more tests. Unfortunately, they were unable to figure out the issue. Everything is still pointing to the vanos, but they swapped the solenoids with new ones and that still didn't fix the problem. Now they are saying that they have to remove the valve cover and it could be the timing chain or something associated with it. Due to this lengthy service, I was quoted almost $800. I paid $1600 in repairs just last week into this supposedly bulletproof engine, and i would prefer to not have to pay another $800 just for a diagnosis. Should i look into a different Indy? Bad timing since, I've only been in Atlanta for a month. I am hoping somebody has a lead here. Looking forward to your thoughts.

2007 BMW 328I coupe 71k

Thanks All
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #2
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update - I got my DME updated over the weekend hoping this would fix the problem. No luck. Car stalled on me again while pulling into a parking garage. Anyone know of a good, trusted BMW master mechanic in the Atlanta area? If I am going to spend $800+ just for a diagnosis I would prefer to take it to someone with a lot of experience. I live in the Midtown area. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed017 View Post
Update - I got my DME updated over the weekend hoping this would fix the problem. No luck. Car stalled on me again while pulling into a parking garage. Anyone know of a good, trusted BMW master mechanic in the Atlanta area? If I am going to spend $800+ just for a diagnosis I would prefer to take it to someone with a lot of experience. I live in the Midtown area. Thanks!
Here are my fault codes: 2A87 (exhaust vans, mechanism) and 2A82 ( Vanos Intake). My Indy replaced the vehicle camshaft solenoid adjusters with good solenoids, and cleared the faults. A road test was performed and the check engine light returned. The car was re-scanned and they received the same faults. They are thinking they need to do an engine timing inspection. Possible stretched timing chain or failed Vanos units? Plus, I thought the engine would only stall while the AC was running. I was wrong, it shut down the other evening without AC. Anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 m3

Have you checked the ATLbimmers page on Facebook? There are a lot of people out there who can give you input. Also, I always go to Nivedh who lives in Lawrenceville. He can definitely help you out. Not sure if he is here but I can find out.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkalyanapu View Post
Have you checked the ATLbimmers page on Facebook? There are a lot of people out there who can give you input. Also, I always go to Nivedh who lives in Lawrenceville. He can definitely help you out. Not sure if he is here but I can find out.
I will look into the ATLbimmers page. Yes, if you could find out if Nivedh is in the area that would be great. Seems like he has a lot of knowledge. Appreciate all of the help!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
MikeE90NC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

My car would behave similarly when I had a bad low pressure fuel sensor. It would run fine when the engine was cold, but if I tried to restart the car after the engine got hot it would start... idle... then die. I replaced the sensor and the problem has been gone ever since. I would try and locate another Indy, there should be codes that will indicate the problem. I am sure some some locals could point you in the right direction. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

I highly recommend Harrison Motorsports in Alpharetta, but since you are in Midtown you might try:

RWL German Imports
520 Edgewood Ave
Atlanta, Georgia 30312
(404) 588-1624
www.rwlgermanimports.com

or

Bavarian Imports Inc.
1505 Howell Mill Road, NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 351-2002
www.bavarianimports.net
      08-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE90NC View Post
My car would behave similarly when I had a bad low pressure fuel sensor. It would run fine when the engine was cold, but if I tried to restart the car after the engine got hot it would start... idle... then die. I replaced the sensor and the problem has been gone ever since. I would try and locate another Indy, there should be codes that will indicate the problem. I am sure some some locals could point you in the right direction. Good luck!
I'll look into this. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tony View Post
I highly recommend Harrison Motorsports in Alpharetta, but since you are in Midtown you might try:

RWL German Imports
520 Edgewood Ave
Atlanta, Georgia 30312
(404) 588-1624
www.rwlgermanimports.com

or

Bavarian Imports Inc.
1505 Howell Mill Road, NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 351-2002
www.bavarianimports.net
thanks!