E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > +1mm Modified Intake Lift Valvetronic Supports- 'MILVs' N52

Closed Thread

10-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #837
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

It's very straight forward if you don't mess up. But if you mess up you need that tool.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #838
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
I still don't understand what is the big deal with installation? It was straight forward.
Couple folks seem to have stripped bolts or holes in the head.

I am not planning on doing this without a spring removal tool of some kind, be it the real deal, this Alibaba version, or Hass's method.
      10-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #839
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Any test on a N55 yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #840
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Been running it on my N55 for 10 months. Don't have a dyno, but running 2 psi less and the butt dyno says it's just as fast. Also run out of fuel at lower boost.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 10:25 PM   #841
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Been running it on my N55 for 10 months. Don't have a dyno, but running 2 psi less and the butt dyno says it's just as fast. Also run out of fuel at lower boost.
You turbo guys and your logs.

I’d like to see a dyno. And I’m not so worried about the torque gains (actually, I’d want LESs torque) and more worried about having more power at 6k+ RPM.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #842
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
You turbo guys and your logs.

I’d like to see a dyno. And I’m not so worried about the torque gains (actually, I’d want LESs torque) and more worried about having more power at 6k+ RPM.
You have been so instrumental on the N52 development and now you are on to the N55. You need to do your same approach on the N55.
Add 'bolt-ons' and dyno for results.

Air intake and exhaust, then add MILVs.
PM me and I will set you up with a deal if you can do before and after dynos.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #843
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
You have been so instrumental on the N52 development and now you are on to the N55. You need to do your same approach on the N55.
Add 'bolt-ons' and dyno for results.

Air intake and exhaust, then add MILVs.
PM me and I will set you up with a deal if you can do before and after dynos.
Thank you, hopefully soon, but I’m not to interested in more power on this car (right now)

Tunes are SO expensive and there are so many options. I see myself working with Bob@BPC again, but I l’m particular with what I want - linear powerband that carries to redline.
I’ve been reading N55 graphs and builds all night, and I hate the huge increase in torque at 2000RPM that drops off at 5000.

On the S55 MLIV dyno, it added 35whp to top end, which was nice, I’m going to see (eventually) what it can do on the N55. It’s likely going to have to be a custom tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #844
F31cruisin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

So I just cleaned out my Vanos solenoids, and it has made a pretty dramatic difference in smoothness and performance with the MILV's up top, and at idle. Highly suggest this is done along with the install to try and get the most out of them.

I used this video for the DIY which instructs you to open and close the Solenoids with a 9 volt battery. It is the only real way to fully clean them out. I also checked the vanos filtes, but those were spotless. The solenoids let out some grime that has accumulated over 120k miles.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:39 PM   #845
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Quote:
Buy These Things.

I found the valvetronic spring compressor/removal tool on Alibaba from china. for under $150 shipped. Not the 'vise grip' style tool.
This tool makes install and dealing with the spring a breeze.
I'm thinking about getting a few to loan out for installs.
Any thoughts or ideas.

Do you have this on your hand, is there a way you can take a picture of it in use? I haven't started on my car yet, but I feel it's getting pretty close. Before I start, I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into. If this tool is good, I'll definitely be buying it no matter what.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:16 AM   #846
RJC612
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
Quote:
Buy These Things.

I found the valvetronic spring compressor/removal tool on Alibaba from china. for under $150 shipped. Not the 'vise grip' style tool.
This tool makes install and dealing with the spring a breeze.
I'm thinking about getting a few to loan out for installs.
Any thoughts or ideas.

Do you have this on your hand, is there a way you can take a picture of it in use? I haven't started on my car yet, but I feel it's getting pretty close. Before I start, I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into. If this tool is good, I'll definitely be buying it no matter what.
This tool is very good and it's what I used. Not sure why, but in my case no matter what cam position I used for the cylinder I was working on (I tried many), I was able to get the stock support out with ease by prying carefully with a screwdriver but there was no way in hell I could slip the milv support back in on my engine the way I have seen others do on this forum and YouTube. in my book, no reason to attempt the install without this tool. It's easy to use:
      11-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #847
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC612 View Post
This tool is very good and it's what I used. Not sure why, but in my case no matter what cam position I used for the cylinder I was working on (I tried many), I was able to get the stock support out with ease by prying carefully with a screwdriver but there was no way in hell I could slip the milv support back in on my engine the way I have seen others do on this forum and YouTube. in my book, no reason to attempt the install without this tool. It's easy to use:
Thanks so much for your video. You're right, for me there's no way I'm going to even attempt to do the swap without this tool. I'm buying mine next week.

Thanks again bro.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #848
RJC612
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC612 View Post
Thanks so much for your video. You're right, for me there's no way I'm going to even attempt to do the swap without this tool. I'm buying mine next week.

Thanks again bro.
You're welcome! This seems to me like the "right" way to do it, there is no reason to place those tiny screws under undue stress by backing them out under spring tension. If money was a huge issue, then I suppose. But this way you just remove and take the spring totally off, change the support and reinstall. At least that's how I did it. The springs kind off keep everything in place in there so don't freak once they are off if things come loose and need to be repositioned i.e. the intermediate rocker arms or whatever those things are called, it's very simple to reposition and everything has an obvious home. The hardest part for me was just making sure the spring "feet" are in their homes when reinstalling the spring because the notches the sit in are a little hard to see. I used a mirror for this and it was no big deal. Been running my milvs with BPC tune and FBOs for about a month now and turns out my 325 can hang
Closed Thread