E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > My Friend Is A Dead Man!!!!!

Closed Thread

08-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
syncro
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i (E92)/ 340i MPE (F30)

My Friend Is A Dead Man!!!!!

Like the title states, my friend is an ass hat that deserves a kick in the nuts. Roughly 4-5 days ago, my airbag/ seatbelt bulb light came on and this annoyed me. I thought that maybe it was a glitch and it would sort itself out, wrong. The next day I did a bunch of research to see what the problem could be and how much it was going to cost me. I found out it could be either the mat sensor, srs problem, a battery problem etc.

So I call up Farley (farbmw) to scan my car and see what the issue is. I throw a couple codes ( i'll post them later) and for the most part they are irrelevant to my problem ( exhaust butterfly flap code and some weird oil thermo code??) The last code to come up was a battery connection code. So I head to the trunk, lift the cover and check it out.

The day before my light came on, my freind decided to put a big ass bag of ice in my trunk and he forgot to take it out. So when i look in the battery housing there is about 3 1/2 - 4" of god damn water. I immediately go to Canadian tire and buy little hand pump to get the water out but the damage has obviously already been done. My car is out of BMW warranty but i do have a private warranty.

My question now is if i take the battery out, wipe everything down and air dry all connections and erase the code will everything be good? or do you think that there is more damage and repairs will have to be done?

I was told by farbmw that there is a new recall for our batteries and im hoping that i can take the car in under a recall and get things sorted out that way.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. My friend knows he is going to pay for any repairs that are needed but i would rather save him the money if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Syncro
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
SS e93
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Depending on what got touched, there will be evidence of water damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
syncro
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i (E92)/ 340i MPE (F30)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

Sorry for your loss,

That's a reminder to us all to use a watertight cooler to transport ice and or liquids. The battery well is exactly that, a well.

If the BMW Eng's read this, how about a 1 way valve to remove water from the bottom of the battery well?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
aberdeen
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

you should prank him back
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

He solved his problem already http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=bag+ice+trunk

UPDATE: So it has been taken in to the stealership and they uncovered the problem.
1.) There is corrosion on the st terminal
2.) The battery wiring harness had to be replaced

With Service, parts and rental fee's, everything came up to just under $800 Canadian dollars. I got the money from my retard frtiend and all is good.

BTW: i had an X1 for a rental, thought it would be gay, it was amazing.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Likwid
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 M5

This is why I have a Weathertech mat in my trunk that will hold about 10 gallons of water.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Dude, wtf is it with you and duplicating threads?

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread