Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Need your help to understand wheels and selection

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Need your help to understand wheels and selection

Hi,

I know there are plenty of threads on wheels selection, and I do need help understanding the wheel selection process better.

First, I have a 2011 328xi base model, is there a limit to what size wheels I should be getting or can I go up all the way to 19" or 20"s as well?

Second, what does it mean by staggered? different sized wheels front and back? Or different sized tires?

Do all the wheels have same specifications? Like I can buy a specific wheel, that can be put on either an e90 or e92?

Lastly, link where you purchased your wheels from, if possible?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
ALUFELGEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Hi,

I know there are plenty of threads on wheels selection, and I do need help understanding the wheel selection process better.

First, I have a 2011 328xi base model, is there a limit to what size wheels I should be getting or can I go up all the way to 19" or 20"s as well?

Second, what does it mean by staggered? different sized wheels front and back? Or different sized tires?

Do all the wheels have same specifications? Like I can buy a specific wheel, that can be put on either an e90 or e92?

Lastly, link where you purchased your wheels from, if possible?

Thanks.
To answer your questions:

1. There is always a limit. On a 2011 328xi you can go with 17", 18", 19" and 20". + 21" is not suitable for this car.

2. Staggered setup means the front wheel size is a different width than the rear. Square setup means they are all the same width. For an XI you can run either an 8.5" and 9.5" Staggered setup for a 8.5" Square setup. The tires are commonly dependent on the wheel width so if you stagger the wheels you`ll typically stagger the tires as well.

3. Every wheel/brand/model has a different specification. The E90 (Sedan) and E92 (Coupe) can fit most of the same fitments, however, the E90 LCI and the E92 LCI share different fitments (more conservative).

There are several vendors you can purchase your wheels from on E90Post. Check the Sponsors Wheel & Tires section for availability.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Gerry@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E30

1 - Yes, you can wheels in up to 20 inch in sizing. But the most common size is 19 inch, and you will find the most selection of wheels in that size as well.

2 - Staggered is a wider rear wheel. If it is a staggered offset, then that is usually specified.

3 - Most cast wheel manufacturers will have their wheels fit both the E90 & E92 chassis. Multi-piece wheels will be built to your desired specs.

You can check out our wheel selection on our website at www.bavarianx.com or you can call me at the office at 714.672.0576.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUFELGEN View Post
To answer your questions:

1. There is always a limit. On a 2011 328xi you can go with 17", 18", 19" and 20". + 21" is not suitable for this car.

2. Staggered setup means the front wheel size is a different width than the rear. Square setup means they are all the same width. For an XI you can run either an 8.5" and 9.5" Staggered setup for a 8.5" Square setup. The tires are commonly dependent on the wheel width so if you stagger the wheels you`ll typically stagger the tires as well.

3. Every wheel/brand/model has a different specification. The E90 (Sedan) and E92 (Coupe) can fit most of the same fitments, however, the E90 LCI and the E92 LCI share different fitments (more conservative).

There are several vendors you can purchase your wheels from on E90Post. Check the Sponsors Wheel & Tires section for availability.

Matt
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry@bavarianx View Post
1 - Yes, you can wheels in up to 20 inch in sizing. But the most common size is 19 inch, and you will find the most selection of wheels in that size as well.

2 - Staggered is a wider rear wheel. If it is a staggered offset, then that is usually specified.

3 - Most cast wheel manufacturers will have their wheels fit both the E90 & E92 chassis. Multi-piece wheels will be built to your desired specs.

You can check out our wheel selection on our website at www.bavarianx.com or you can call me at the office at 714.672.0576.
Thanks, do you ship to Canada? I tried getting a 'shipping' quote, but it seemed like you don't ship to Canada.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also, given that its an awd, does it matter whether the wheels are staggered or square? Is one preferred over another?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Gerry@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E30

Yes, we ship to Canada. I sent you a PM with some further info.
Appreciate 0