E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Stock Intake vs Burger DCI Temp Tests on 335i

10-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
zafeniak
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Stock Intake vs Burger DCI Temp Tests on 335i

Hi Guys -

I bought a Burger DCI (Dual Cone Intake) for my 335i last week and decided to test the intake temps for myself to determine whether the heat soak myth is true.

I thought I might share my results with you guys which may help you make a decision on whether to go for a DCI setup or not.

Here it goes -

Scenario:

i) 19-20 degree (Celsius) day
ii) Tests were performed within 30 mins of each other
iii) Car was warmed up on both (Standard intake and DCI) tests to ensure oil temp was just below 120 degrees Celsius
iv) A 15 minute drive (same route) was performed with both the standard intake and DCI to measure the driving temps (not my main focus)
v) After the 15 minute drive, I measured the intake temps while the car was stationary and idling for 2 minutes (simulating a traffic light) plotting the temps every 5 seconds

Things I found using the stock intake:

* Driving normally (i.e. not thrashing the car) the intake temperature was usually between 27 - 30 degrees Celsius.

* The harder you stepped on the gas pedal, the cooler the intake temps were (due to the air being sucked in is from the outside)

* The car was quieter compared to the DCI setup

Things I found using the Burger DC Intake:

* Car sounded great (nice turbo spool sound)

* Driving normally (i.e. not thrashing the car) the intake temperature was usually between 37.5 - 40 degrees Celsius.

* The harder you stepped on the gas pedal, the hotter the intake temps were (due to the air being sucked in being from the engine bay

Heat soak results:

After driving the car for 15 mins (same route) with both set-ups, I measured the temps while the car was stationary and idling for 2 minutes (graph speaks for itself) simulating traffic light stop.

Not only was the starting intake temp about 9 degrees hotter with the DCI compared to the standard intake, the intake temps accelerated at a quicker rate (i.e. Starting temp of stock intake was 29 degrees, starting temp of DCI was 37.5, ending temp of stock intake was 34 degrees, ending temp of DCI was nearly 48 degrees after 2 minutes)

Conclusion:

Heat soak is real (both when driving and stationary)!

Now, I am sure the DCI can suck in air more efficiently compared to the stock intake given the greater surface area, however, this advantage is really crippled by the fact that the intake temperatures are significantly higher compared to the stock intake.

The only real way to measure whether the benefit of the DCI sucking in air more efficiently outweighs the con of the increased temps is to put it on a dyno... which is something I don't have.

But in any case, I hope this helps you guys in making a decision

I also have for sale a "Near new" set of Burger DCIs for a 335i (only used for about 15 minutes) located in Australia Canberra - PM me if interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

Good test. Lower iat more timing can be achieved yea?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
ZiggyJJ
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MSport

Good write up - will have to rethink getting these with Perth summers!

What's the best next option after the BMS DCI's?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

Will you stay with the DCI or go back to stock?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Subway

Good write up! Thanks! Alternative would be a replacement flat panel filter?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 02:50 AM   #6
zafeniak
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Thanks guys. I put the stock intake back on for a peace of mind. Maybe a k&n panel filter will have better flow compared to the standard one..? I think they sell for around $60. I have my DCIs for sale if anyone wants them $90
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
M-Four
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 DCT

Good testing. AFE has a cold air intake system with dual scoops that may be worth a look at.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

OP, good effort on above. But, I feel like you've gone to the trouble to explain something people already know - it's widely accepted that DCI's will have higher IATs compared to a stock (or enclosed) intake and no one is debating this.

A point (missing) from above that I find misleading is that when driving, the intake air barely has a chance to heat up before it's already sucked into the engine. Hence your graph is great for talking about stationary IATs but that's largely irrelevant in the real world.

Both the Burger DCI and aFe intakes do make more power than stock. The slightly higher IAT when driving is offset by the greater surface area of the intake which allows more flow.

In addition, high flow panel filters are useless. They offer no greater surface area than the stock filter and have lower filtration capabilities. Skip the panel filter and do a dual cone intake (or an enclosed dual cone intake if you want it to be road legal)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Good write up but I'll be sticking with my DCI.. I'm in Canberra too so temps aren't too bad; however if I lived up in QLD or WA, I'd probably stick with the OEM box.

I'd be interested to see the same tests with an intercooler upgrade before and after.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

that's what intercoolers are for, to make up for that heat.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Subway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post
OP, good effort on above. But, I feel like you've gone to the trouble to explain something people already know - it's widely accepted that DCI's will have higher IATs compared to a stock (or enclosed) intake and no one is debating this.

A point (missing) from above that I find misleading is that when driving, the intake air barely has a chance to heat up before it's already sucked into the engine. Hence your graph is great for talking about stationary IATs but that's largely irrelevant in the real world.

Both the Burger DCI and aFe intakes do make more power than stock. The slightly higher IAT when driving is offset by the greater surface area of the intake which allows more flow.

In addition, high flow panel filters are useless. They offer no greater surface area than the stock filter and have lower filtration capabilities. Skip the panel filter and do a dual cone intake (or an enclosed dual cone intake if you want it to be road legal)
Did Pete end up finishing that enclosed DCI Stu?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:26 AM   #12
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes

+10

Great diligence in gathering IAT's, however they need to be taken with a grain of salt as there is no comparative data to IAT's vs HP/KW's

Stationary IAT's are always going to be horrendous.. However once the car is moving it's all relative.

In saying this, I have read/seen posts where ppl have claimed a loss in power with an intake - however the sound they produce is worth the negative ~5kw's if that.

Not all intakes are made equal either, the AFe dual cone comes with a heat shield to provide a layer of separation from the engine block in an attempt to lower IAT's.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
naynay
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E92 335i FBO

have a look at Stett Performance CAI. i have one in my car =]
Appreciate 0