E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B6 Adjustable 10

04-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Question Bilstein B6 Adjustable 10

Guys, these things look interesting.

http://www.bilstein.de/en/products/h...stible-10.html

Anyone tried them yet?

Yves
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Bump - I asked several months ago and also didn't receive any feedback. Someone try these and report back, they are not available in the states right now. Only available for a limited number of cars, but the e90 IS one of the applications.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I asked Turner Motorsports about these just a few days ago, and they confirmed they are still not available in the U.S. If they were, I'd order a set if the price was OK. Hopefully we will see them soon here.
      06-04-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep

Guys,

We can get them here in the UK but they are quite expensive, £800+ for the set.

Probably cost you $1500+ to import?

Yves

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt97m3 View Post
I asked Turner Motorsports about these just a few days ago, and they confirmed they are still not available in the U.S. If they were, I'd order a set if the price was OK. Hopefully we will see them soon here.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
caliban413
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post
Guys, these things look interesting.

http://www.bilstein.de/en/products/h...stible-10.html

Anyone tried them yet?

Yves
I recently installed these on my 2006 320SI. The 320SI comes stock with the m-sports suspension and in europe the m shocks costs about the same as the B6 adjustable 10's. My m shocks were worn and needed replacement so i figured I would try the adjustables. I take the car to the track from time to time and recently I drove it on the Nürburgring.

Overall I am very pleased with the shocks. They handle uneven roads better than the stock shocks and have really made the car a lot smoother. The adjustability works just as advertised 1 click either way is clearly noticeable.

However I suspect that the shocks have been valved for the stock suspension springs since i have settled on a setting of 8 for day to day use and full on 10 when riding on the track. I had hoped for a slightly more aggressive setup . If you plan on running harder lowering springs I think the dampening will be inadequate. (B8 adjustables would make more sense imho.)

It's also worth noticing that the gas filled bilsteins provide some spring effect themselves and the ride height of my car has actually increased about 1 cm. To compensate I am considering a set of eibach pro's (or is it sport line? I forget... the softer option anyway.) This of course means removing the struts again - which isn't so easy on the e90.

If you are looking for a replacement for stock or msports shocks and your primary objective i getting the day to day ride just perfect i would highly recommend the b6 adj. However I personally would shell out the extra cash and go straight for the B16 PSS10 coilovers if I had to do it over again.

/Thomas
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

THANK YOU Caliban! We have been waiting along time for a review. Sounds like they would be perfect for what I am looking for - slight improvement to a daily driver on the stock (non-sport) suspension, with the adjustability taking the fear of creating too firm a suspension away. Thanks Again!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
caliban413
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
THANK YOU Caliban! We have been waiting along time for a review. Sounds like they would be perfect for what I am looking for - slight improvement to a daily driver on the stock (non-sport) suspension, with the adjustability taking the fear of creating too firm a suspension away. Thanks Again!
You're welcome. Another reason I chose the adjustable b6 over the nonadjustable b6 og b8 was to avoid the mistake i made once on a mazda3 where I installed a set of nonadjustable B8's on a car that was already dropped with a set of vogtland springs (they are very hard). The ride became completely unbearable. Probably lost a cm or two due to spine compression.. ;-).

With the adjustable shocks this wouldn't have happened.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Cali do you know what setting on the A10 is comparable to the non-adjustable B6?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep

Sounds like a very good product, thanks for all the feedback.

B8 is a very stiff shock, agreed.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
caliban413
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti
Cali do you know what setting on the A10 is comparable to the non-adjustable B6?
No idea. but setting the dampers to 1 Will make your car float around like a 70'ties cadillac. Amusing for about a minute or two...
2-6 is too soft I my opinion. 7 is about as soft as I can live with. 8 is about perfect. 10 rides very flat but a little choppy
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Looks like Turner can get these now... but the price.. ouch.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...shock-set.aspx
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti
Looks like Turner can get these now... but the price.. ouch.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...shock-set.aspx
Anymore feedback on these? I just scored some b6 shocks for the rear, but would like to go with something adjustable for the fronts. Anybody know if they will sell fronts separately?
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

I wish they made the b8 in an adjustable version...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
@Caliban
I searched for B8's adjustable earlier this year, and couldn't find it. Doesn't exist.
Instead I got the B8's combined with a set of Eibach's. Works perfect and not to harsh in my opinion....
Differnce from B6 and B8's are only the actuaters lenght. B8's are made especially for lowering springs and B6's are for std OEM springs.

Btw we have a Danish tread under Europe subforum. Feel free to join us :-)

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #15
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
@Caliban
I searched for B8's adjustable earlier this year, and couldn't find it. Doesn't exist.
Instead I got the B8's combined with a set of Eibach's. Works perfect and not to harsh in my opinion....
Differnce from B6 and B8's are only the actuaters lenght. B8's are made especially for lowering springs and B6's are for std OEM springs.

Btw we have a Danish tread under Europe subforum. Feel free to join us :-)
Yes thats the Bilstein B12 kit. B8 shocks combined with eibach pro-kit. Its an excellent suspension setup! I highly recommend it to anyone in need of new dampers and/or wants a handling upgrade. They even give you more ride comfort than stock while handling alot better.

How would you say it compares to oem sport package and any other setups youve tried? I like to hear others opinions. Its more of what you find as acceptable ride comfort. Obviouslt you can go all put with stiff coilovers and have amazing handling but theres always a trade-off. It seems like the B12 kit somehow upgrades both comfort and sport handling!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #16
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

But if they made the B8 sport shocks in an adjustable version i would absolutely buy those and pair them with eibach pro kit coil springs.

Hwoever they pretty much do have that but it steps it up into coilover range. I believe the bilstein PSS-10 is stainless steel adjustable b8 struts up front with stainless steel adjustable b8 shocks out back. With bilsteins own coil springs and adjustable spring collars for height adjustment. Also a very good setup but more than double the price! Ouch

At that point i would go with either KW street comfort coils or AST4100, tckline single adjustables or even koni yellows with hpa koni yelllows rear externally adjustable rear shocks with swift springs or eibach springs.

Hmmmm...

Last edited by AWDBooSTIn90; 06-06-2015 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #17
jfranci3
Private
Rep
Drives: Not yet

Bringing this back up. I just ordered a set for my 2009 328i 2wd sport pkg. Didn't want to lower or stiffen my car more than the Sport package.

I'm looking for low-speed dampening (basically handling) adjustment, hopefully these deliver. I've seen PSS9s dyno where you really only adjust mid (tire vibrations) and high speed damping (bumps), which is basically useless unless you are adjusting springs. It's not clear, but these and the PSS10 have a better valving. ( http://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-s...-family-2.html )

Everywhere in the US has them for $1500ish. You can find them in Europe for 800eur or so. The trick is getting a place to sell outside of the Euro zone, not charge VAT, and ship for reasonable costs. I'm going with this place http://x1-autoteile.de/ we'll see if they deliver.

For the lowered suspsensions... Can't you just use the pss10? http://www.x1-autoteile.de/index.php...ch&carId=25472 It'll cost more, but will probably work better.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #18
jfranci3
Private
Rep
Drives: Not yet

Finally got these installed after waiting 6 weeks for delivery (bilstein's delay). I'm pretty darn happy with them. Adjustments make a real difference. Rolls like a boat in soft, everything in super controlled in 10 - a lot of low speed dampening adjustment.

Compared to 50k mile stock Sachs w/ the sport springs, a lot more body control. I had to pick up my kids from day care while the car was 3/4 finished with the driver front being still on the Sach. Huge difference in roll control and ride.

Car rides better than the 50k Sachs even on full firm. As the Sachs loosened up, I felt like a terrible stick driver, these made my shifting feel much better. If your shifting feels like you don't know what you're doing, it could be the dampers not stopping the boat from rocking. No more tiss tiss at the Sachs kneel over!
Appreciate 0