E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Question for mobile phone addicts.

02-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #23
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
I dont understand this whole "not coming to the states thing" Just order one unlocked from the factory and put your sim card in it.
Ah. Cause I don't want to spend $600+ for the unlocked version?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #24
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

my last like 4 phones have been 600 dollar unlocked phones. everyone of them is worth it. personally i dont love samsung, but that phone seems worth every penny of 600 dollars. especially if thats the only way to get it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 05:38 AM   #25
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
The iPhone looks pretty cool.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 12:52 AM   #26
Dann902
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Audi A3 TDI/Lotus Gray

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
To the OP:
I'm using the Cingular 8525. I've had it for a little over 1 mo now, and I really love it! This may be what your are looking for. It is a Pocket PC phone, uses Windows Mobile, has wi-fi, runs on 3G, and it syncs with the bluetooth. You can use your phonebook!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #27
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228 Black

oblu,

I didn't see if you have idrive -- maybe it's assumed but I thought it's worth pointing out there's a big difference in the phone choice based on whether you have idrive or not.

the on-screen directory is a fantastic feature but you need idrvie to see all of your contacts right there on the dashboard screen.

i just went from a Motorola V710 to a Motorola Q and the phone functions on the car didn't change much, but of course, the Q has a lot more features. (it's a windows mobile smart phone, so you can view movies on it, carry around your photo album, have an appointment book, etc. I don't have a data plan but that's available. I use it as a PDA/phone.)

But the fact that the Q integrates very well with Microsoft Outlook means that I now have all of my phone contacts on the phone (integration between the PC and the 710 was difficult since I could never get the Outlook sync to work well). These days, I am changing the contact list on my Q almost daily. And so that's a big help and makes the phone-car integration much more valuable. On my 710, I had about 50 contacts. Now I have over 300 (including all-important numbers like the local Chinese takeout and pizza joints; great to be able to just dial them up on the way home, and order dinner without even picking up a phone)

The only real drawback with the phones I've had is that I have not been able to get PIN codes to work from the phone directory. I can make the call and then use the idrive keypad entry. but that's not something I should do while driving.

as to iphone, it's going to work with Cingular only for a long time
      02-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #28
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverseven View Post
oblu,

I didn't see if you have idrive -- maybe it's assumed but I thought it's worth pointing out there's a big difference in the phone choice based on whether you have idrive or not.

the on-screen directory is a fantastic feature but you need idrvie to see all of your contacts right there on the dashboard screen.

i just went from a Motorola V710 to a Motorola Q and the phone functions on the car didn't change much, but of course, the Q has a lot more features. (it's a windows mobile smart phone, so you can view movies on it, carry around your photo album, have an appointment book, etc. I don't have a data plan but that's available. I use it as a PDA/phone.)

But the fact that the Q integrates very well with Microsoft Outlook means that I now have all of my phone contacts on the phone (integration between the PC and the 710 was difficult since I could never get the Outlook sync to work well). These days, I am changing the contact list on my Q almost daily. And so that's a big help and makes the phone-car integration much more valuable. On my 710, I had about 50 contacts. Now I have over 300 (including all-important numbers like the local Chinese takeout and pizza joints; great to be able to just dial them up on the way home, and order dinner without even picking up a phone)

The only real drawback with the phones I've had is that I have not been able to get PIN codes to work from the phone directory. I can make the call and then use the idrive keypad entry. but that's not something I should do while driving.

as to iphone, it's going to work with Cingular only for a long time
I use the Q too. Works perfectly. I'm not sure what you mean about pins. I can use the keypad or the idrive number pad mid-call without trouble.

I love the Q in general. Best call quality of ANY phone I've had. The fact that it works flawlessly with my ride makes it even better!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 04:08 PM   #29
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228 Black

On PINS -- I have not succeeded in getting the PINS stored in the phone directory so that if I select my office voice mail, the call goes through, logs in and begins to play messages.

I shouldn't need to work the keypad on the phone or idrive.

I got it to work that way only for the phone's Verizon voice mail account but can't get it to work with other systems.
      02-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #30
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverseven View Post
On PINS -- I have not succeeded in getting the PINS stored in the phone directory so that if I select my office voice mail, the call goes through, logs in and begins to play messages.

I shouldn't need to work the keypad on the phone or idrive.

I got it to work that way only for the phone's Verizon voice mail account but can't get it to work with other systems.
Hmmm... you programmed in your phone number and then the PIN and other key sequences and properly used pauses in between?

If you want, you can PM me since this isn't a Q forum, or you can get some answers over at http://www.qusers.com.
Appreciate 0