E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help... my fiancee just drove my car with hand-brake pulled..

02-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #23
2FST2C
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjafari View Post
wow, so many noobs on this forum. 16-18 year olds who think they have an understanding of the mechanics of how a car works....sometimes I want to go buy an american muscle car so I can converse with people who are true gear heads...
GOOD ONE
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #24
E86S54
Major
Rep
Drives: Moupe

Quote:
wow, so many noobs on this forum. 16-18 year olds who think they have an understanding of the mechanics of how a car works....sometimes I want to go buy an american muscle car so I can converse with people who are true gear heads...
uhh...wut?

This is how I roll
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #25
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

It happens. I don't get it but apparently some people don't have any clue how cars work and don't have any interest in learning. Times like these are why you got a car with full warranty and free maintenance

Other than what others have posted, you might want to drive in reverse for a few feet with the handbrake pulled up. According to the owner's manual this 'adjusts' the parking brake so that it functions correctly.

All in all, don't worry about it
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #26
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:

sadly, just because someone owns an american muscle car, doesn't mean they possess any more knowledge about cars than someone who may own a bmw or honda. Like the guy I saw at the track with a built corvette, claiming that the porsche in front of him was smoking because, as he put it "I'm pretty sure you dropped a valve".

And in this case, many cars have an e-brake system built into the rear caliper (or drum), so it wouldn't be outrageous for someone with only general car knowledge to think that driving with the e-brake on would have an ill effect on the rear brakes. Because from a mechanical standpoint, that would be valid on most cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #27
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

dont be mad stuff happens.....

laugh it off lol
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #28
Shadow_Phantom12
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Performance Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
You are probably fine. The drum just got a really good wear on it - honestly. Unless you park your car on a hill everyday then start to worry about that handbrake - but my bet is its working just fine.

I've seen someone pull the same thing as your new wife... it was of course a women (I was just a kid at the time, but I was sitting there wondering to myself, does she honestly not smell the pads burning up or the shaking from the car? I think they are wired different then us).
Sighhhh... gives the rest of us a bad rap...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #29
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3

Well, apparently, she did notice something was wrong and thought it was the engine...

I checked the car tonight and the brake was not pulled all the way up (thank god), so it was a light pull.. I pulled it because I was too lazy to park the car in my garage last night and I have a slight inclined driveway... and hence the e-brake..

Dropping off my car this weekend, and the car looks fine at this point and drives fine at this point. But I will still drop it off, just in case..

I gave my fiancee a hug as she was feeling really bad after I picked her up from work..

Sigh.. what can you say to those teary eyes...

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #30
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNF View Post

Sigh.. what can you say to those teary eyes...
Suck on this baby!

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #31
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

sex can only repair the damaged done on your car and you don't need to be a "GEARHEAD" to know that!lolol
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #32
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Fiancée > hand-brake.

My first fiancée didn't pull the handbrake on hard enough and my 1600ti rolled down a hill into my parents garage -- smash. 2 days before we were going on a road trip to Mazatlan together. Bought BMW #2 (another 1600, had 75k miles on it) and had a pretty good trip.

Tell you what I don't like -- the weensie little e-handbrake lever on the new Z.

So why didn't your fiancée cell phone you if she thought something wasn't right?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #33
louie_perm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: *

"wow, so many noobs on this forum. 16-18 year olds who think they have an understanding of the mechanics of how a car works....sometimes I want to go buy an american muscle car so I can converse with people who are true gear heads..."

pdjafari,
Since you posted right after me, and I am a new member, I assume you're satisfying yourself by picking on me.

Let me first say that I wish I was still 18, and then let me add that I rebuilt a '66 Mustang 289 a few years back and have no problem repairing anything, as long as I have the tools and time. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) my job pays me enough that the value of my time keeps me from taking off my wheels and brake rotors just to see how the parking brake works. If that disqualifies me from the ranks of the "true gear heads," then I guess I'll just have to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #34
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Fiancée > hand-brake.

My first fiancée didn't pull the handbrake on hard enough and my 1600ti rolled down a hill into my parents garage -- smash. 2 days before we were going on a road trip to Mazatlan together. Bought BMW #2 (another 1600, had 75k miles on it) and had a pretty good trip.

Tell you what I don't like -- the weensie little e-handbrake lever on the new Z.

So why didn't your fiancée cell phone you if she thought something wasn't right?

THATS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID...........

I told her she should have pulled over and call me and etc... but then, i heard silence and I could "sense" that she is already beating herself up..emotionally...

Oh well, I'll have to just laugh it off and wait until a quick inspection this weekend.

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #35
VeniVidiVicii777
Private
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW 335i Coupe

well if it's an auto then you wont be using the handbrake a lot...but if its manual, then ya you would be using the handbrake pretty much at all times.

2008 335i Coupe|Montego Blue|Black Dakota|Sport/Premium Package|Navi - Lemon
2007 335i Coupe|Space Grey|Coral Red|Sport/Premium/Cold Weather Package|Navi - Sold
2007 335i Convertible|Jet Black|Saddle Brown|Sport/Premium/Cold Weather Package|Navi -
Current
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #36
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

had my car checked last saturday and well, I didnt tell them what exactly happened, but I asked the dealer to check out my brake pads and e-brake in general. I did tell them I hear some squeaking sound.

(Just want to make sure that they inspect the car blindingly without knowing before hand about what happened).

The check came back negative. Normal wear and tear and nothing major about the pads/e brakes.. and no squeaking sound (doh, yea, there werent any to begin with ).

anyhow, left the car there for half a day and it was a free quick check..

So, I guess the brake wasnt pulled "all the way up", just partially and hence the damage was minimal, I guess.

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #37
RiazM
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 e46 325cic

Your fiance isn't one to shine. She thought it was the engine and continued to drive?

I'll stay single for now thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #38
Avery
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i, 2010 X5

Sounds like you were lucky then. Just wait till she drives your car only to find out later she curbed two wheels or opened the SUV door into your car. I’ve learned to take it in stride and it gives me an excuse to buy new wheels. At the end of the day I have to tell myself it’s just a car. But that is easier said than done sometimes.