E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90, At start up weird noise when turning in cold mornings.

10-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
kilinko
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

E90, At start up weird noise when turning in cold mornings.

Starting to get cold in VA. 50 degrees in am. When I start up e90 in the morning and turn away from the curb is when I hear a ticking sound. Sounds like a motor slipping. It only happens when turning steering wheel moving or not. The noise goes away shortly after. I have stock wheels.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

I have the exact same noise, except it's ticking in/around the engine area. Never happened over the summer, and ONCE during April when the weather was around this time. Same mid-40's to 50's too!

I recorded a few vids as proof to the dealer when I take it back next week for this and other issues. From what i've been looking at around this forum, it's the valve lifters...?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
I have the exact same noise, except it's ticking in/around the engine area. Never happened over the summer, and ONCE during April when the weather was around this time. Same mid-40's to 50's too!

I recorded a few vids as proof to the dealer when I take it back next week for this and other issues. From what i've been looking at around this forum, it's the valve lifters...?
I am not sure about the OP's issue, but yours is the valve lifters. I had mine replaced under warranty. I showed a couple of video's to my SA at the time and they did the bleeding procedure but the ticking was back again in a couple of days. They ended up replacing the cylinder head under warranty and it has been about 2 years now. I must mention though that, my car ticked all the time the engine was running and ambient temperature didn't seem to matter at all.
Appreciate 0