E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Buying used coilover

05-09-2015, 12:55 AM   #1
BMSE92_Harry
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Buying used coilover

I've been thinking bout lowering my car to get rid of the gap betweent the wheel and fender. Thought bout just getting H&R Springs, but I heard the ride quality suffer.
Trying to stay under 1000 dollar budget, been thinking bout the ST X coilover or the BC coilover new. Or should I buy a used set of better quality coilovers?

What is the lifespan of aftermarket coilover? Beside looking for rust, is there anything else to look for?
If you were in my position, would you spend the same amount of money to buy a used quality set with 30k miles? or NEW but not a great brand like BC coilover?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 01:33 AM   #2
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

I think you'd be solid either way. You can pick up a used set of KW V1's for under 1k. Stainless steel; great product. It's not that other brands are "not great;" rather, there are just some differences (i.e. Material, coating, adjustability). ST is actually made with KW components by the way - but are not stainless steel iirc.

Just do some searches. There's ample information on here.

EDIT: Additionally, coilovers could likely outlive your ownership of the car - granted that they are properly maintained. Expect to rebuild them as well, which should be considered maintenance.
Appreciate 0