E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > NEED TO RAISE RIDE HEIGHT 2006 E90 330i sport

11-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #1
Autobarn234
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Couldn't find via search.

I love the current handling but roads here aren't so forgiving. I need a serious raise. I can't tell if the car was lowered by its previous owner.

What can I do to get this raise? need 3 - 5 inches.
Car is already on 18" rims.

Am I asking the wrong question?
Pardon my noobing out.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

3-5 inches?! Are you turning it into an X3?!
Post a picture and we can tell if it was lowered by the previous owner.
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawshankNG View Post

I love the current handling but roads here aren't so forgiving. I need a serious raise. I can't tell if the car was lowered by its previous owner.

Pardon my noobing out.
You maybe asking the wrong question.
It seems you are concerned that the poor quality roads are causing rough, uncivilized, and possibly damaging ride quality.

If that is your issue, a set of Koni FSD shocks will fit you perfectly, while maintaining the handling that you love. The FSD shocks use damping that is firm for braking, cornering, and acceleration. But they soften dramatically when you encounter rough roads, patches, bumps, potholes and expansion joints.

A quick search here on the forums will tell you all you need to know about them.

I ran these shocks on my 330i Sport and loved them.
With FSD's you know longer feel that the road is beating up your car.
No more bangs, thumps, and crunches over rough pavement. The suspension sounds are muted and road noise diminishes as well. No more pothole explosions either.

Also, be aware that an e90 with worn shocks can look lowered. I've seen plenty 100k mile examples looking quotes slammed.
Appreciate 2
dwashy64.50
      11-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

+1 for Koni FSD's!
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
Autobarn234
Private
Rep

Are these pictures clear enough to show how low it is?
Attached Images

Last edited by Autobarn234; 11-28-2015 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Added images
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Autobarn234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22
Quote:

Pardon my noobing out.
You maybe asking the wrong question.
It seems you are concerned that the poor quality roads are causing rough, uncivilized, and possibly damaging ride quality.

If that is your issue, a set of Koni FSD shocks will fit you perfectly, while maintaining the handling that you love. The FSD shocks use damping that is firm for braking, cornering, and acceleration. But they soften dramatically when you encounter rough roads, patches, bumps, potholes and expansion joints.

A quick search here on the forums will tell you all you need to know about them.

I ran these shocks on my 330i Sport and loved them.
With FSD's you know longer feel that the road is beating up your car.
No more bangs, thumps, and crunches over rough pavement. The suspension sounds are muted and road noise diminishes as well. No more pothole explosions either.

Also, be aware that an e90 with worn shocks can look lowered. I've seen plenty 100k mile examples looking quotes slammed.
Ride quality is perfect.

There are so many uneven roads and high entrances here. So the scraping will be too much. It is already too much.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is stock ride height.
Where are you scraping?

Front bumper? In the wheel wells?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #8
Autobarn234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is stock ride height.
Where are you scraping?

Front bumper? In the wheel wells?
The underside of the car - the region under the driver and front passenger seat. The front bumper too. Especially when reversing (I know reversing Should be done slowly on uneven surfaces)

Not the tyre rubbing the wheel well.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The underside of the car - the region under the driver and front passenger seat. The front bumper too. Especially when reversing (I know reversing Should be done slowly on uneven surfaces)

You can switch to non Sport springs. That will give you a half inch more ground clearance.
You can also switch to 225/45/18 front and 255/40/18 rear tires. This will get you almost another half inch. In addition, your speedometer will read closer to true speed, rather than the 3 to 5mph fast BMW programs in.

How. Many miles are on your car? My 330i at 128k miles was a bouncy mess. Speed bumps, pavement height changes ast freeway speeds, and potholes used wayyy too much suspension travel. New shocks tamed this. If your car is bouncing on bumps, your car is getting closer to the ground than it has to, adding to the scraping.

That being said, the bottom of my 330i never contacted the ground. Do you have something loose, or hanging low? I'd look. Well, I did scrape once. I was pulling off the road and the shoulder was about 3 inches ower than the road. When the passenger wheels dropped onto the shoulder, the car scraped down the middle of the underside. Sounded painful, but no damage.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
Autobarn234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You can switch to non Sport springs. That will give you a half inch more ground clearance.
You can also switch to 225/45/18 front and 255/40/18 rear tires. This will get you almost another half inch. In addition, your speedometer will read closer to true speed, rather than the 3 to 5mph fast BMW programs in.

How. Many miles are on your car? My 330i at 128k miles was a bouncy mess. Speed bumps, pavement height changes ast freeway speeds, and potholes used wayyy too much suspension travel. New shocks tamed this. If your car is bouncing on bumps, your car is getting closer to the ground than it has to, adding to the scraping.

That being said, the bottom of my 330i never contacted the ground. Do you have something loose, or hanging low? I'd look. Well, I did scrape once. I was pulling off the road and the shoulder was about 3 inches ower than the road. When the passenger wheels dropped onto the shoulder, the car scraped down the middle of the underside. Sounded painful, but no damage.
Thank you very much for your elaborate answer.

IIRC. that is the current tyre configuration.

Mileage is about 132K currently, just got it from Texas.

Shocks seem fine, no excessive bouncing on bumps. They seem pretty stiff enough.

Do you know about a certain rubber material usually added to the shock mounts?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 02:42 AM   #11
Autobarn234
Private
Rep

I fear for the propeller getting scraped, hence damaged. is that possible?
Asides the bumper, are there things that could get damaged under the engine?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #12
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
I fear for the propeller getting scraped, hence damaged. is that possible?
Asides the bumper, are there things that could get damaged under the engine?
Yes the engine oil pan.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

See this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1092007

The easiest thing to do to at least, most importantly, get the front of the car up a little higher is to add some shims:
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES49751/

Beyond that, non-sport springs, shims of different thickness, e30 spring perches, taller tires, etc. can all be used separately or in combination to get you where you need to be. I imagine that not all those parts are the easiest/cheapest to source in Nigeria though, but at least you have some options.

Anyone know how much higher an average set of coilovers can be adjusted over stock heights?
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #14
Autobarn234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94
See this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1092007

The easiest thing to do to at least, most importantly, get the front of the car up a little higher is to add some shims:
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES49751/

Beyond that, non-sport springs, shims of different thickness, e30 spring perches, taller tires, etc. can all be used separately or in combination to get you where you need to be. I imagine that not all those parts are the easiest/cheapest to source in Nigeria though, but at least you have some options.

Anyone know how much higher an average set of coilovers can be adjusted over stock heights?
Those parts (except tyres) are probably not available and I'll have to pay for shipping. I don't mind, as kong as I get desired results.

Do you know if there's a way to stack multiple shims on each other? I see the shims give an easy 20mm raise. Maybe I should try those alongside some higher profile tyres.

TBH I went through that thread, and I'm not too conversant with the terms as I have little or non existent experience with suspension parts and names (probably need to find a good guide explaining such).
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see the shims give an easy 20mm raise. Maybe I should try those alongside some higher profile tyres.
I see you have found some of my posts how to raise the front.
Here is one how to raise the rear:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...07&postcount=3
With little work you can get the car to sit about 2cm higher front and back and still utilize the original springs.
However, you want 2 inches or more.
I'm afraid that is not possible without serous customization.
2cm on the other hand you can do very affordable and even by yourself.
Appreciate 2
      11-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #16
Autobarn234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer
Quote:
I see the shims give an easy 20mm raise. Maybe I should try those alongside some higher profile tyres.
I see you have found some of my posts how to raise the front.
Here is one how to raise the rear:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...07&postcount=3
With little work you can get the car to sit about 2cm higher front and back and still utilize the original springs.
However, you want 2 inches or more.
I'm afraid that is not possible without serous customization.
2cm on the other hand you can do very affordable and even by yourself.
Thank you for this insight.

I will try the 2cm raise and higher profile tyres to see where it gets me.

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #17
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Pardon my missing it if it's been posted but where is here? I see you spell tire tyre so it must not be the Usa. That looks like stock sport suspension ride height. I've only hid the undercarriage on mine occasionally on a speed bump and that's after lowering it 12" past sport in the rear and 1" in the front.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #18
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i 6MT

You must have some really bad roads to be scraping so bad that you want to raise the car from stock height.

Personally I would suggest a different car or suv for that matter. X3 would better suit your needs if you want to stay with BMW.

If not, then the next best thing is to learn how to drive a car that sits lower than what you're used to. The means taking angled entrance ramps or exit ramps at angles. If their is a steep crest you need to go over, take it at an angle. And last thing, be patient and take it slow.

There's not a whole lot you can do to raise the car a lot besides going to non sport springs and bigger tires.
      12-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #19
Autobarn234
Private
Rep

Camman,

Thanks. Actually, the major roads are ok. I do know to take steep points at an angle and drive slow on rough roads, aiming the tyres to roll on the highest points on the road surface etc. However, sometimes I may have to go to untarred roads.

You're right. The best solution would be an SUV.
Getting a second car is oit of the options for now, and I am not willing to let go off the handling I get on good roads. So I guess I will make do with the maybe 1 inch raise I can get.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #20
Stream
T667YM86
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 05'

It doesn't looks like sport suspension. Looks like eibach pro-kit or performance springs.

P.s. You need to know what springs and shocks are installed on your car.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #21
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Go regular spring height and koni shocks.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #22
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream View Post
It doesn't looks like sport suspension. Looks like eibach pro-kit or performance springs.

P.s. You need to know what springs and shocks are installed on your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Go regular spring height and koni shocks.
Is stock sport suspension. The photos are taken in a way that appears to be lower than it is. If OP doesn't want to invest in different spring setup I believe that we have exhausted all other alternatives.
Appreciate 1