E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please don't do this to your girlfriend!

04-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #45
e90335iftw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToBavarian View Post
What an idiot. Kids these days. All they look at is the 'now', not the future or dangers.
Really? He was doing what he loves, on a track, responsibly and legally. Unfortunately he made an error and it nearly costed him his life. Doesn't make him an idiot. Just an unfortunate situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #46
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

Damn, RIP to her, thank you for sharing this it really opened my eyes and its going to make me think twice about putting my family or girlfriend in a car that im going to race/track.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 02:01 AM   #47
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuellsterR1 View Post
IMO, all decisions come with consequences and the maker shall be held accountable. SHE decided to ride passenger knowing the consequences. Unfortunately, the cards were not dealt in her favor and may she rest in peace.

AddictedToBarvarian labeled him an idiot. Why? because someone has to be held accountable? Do you really think he wanted this to happen. Dangers lay everywhere in life and sometimes, this is what defines life for some people. They take risk and in doing so, they live what they perceive is as life. Would it be appropriate to call you panzy because you seem to live your life in a box? No, not at all. If you happy doing what your doing and are satified by the decision you've made, who am I to judge?

KwlAzaKid stated an instance of "what if" and already deems the guy accountable. Remember, hindsight is always 20/20 so try not to be so quick to judge. The same "what if" can be said that if she did in fact go, that he wouldn't have crashed in the first place. Time, conditions, and said variables will ALL be different.

I'm not arguing the fact that the OP takes it upon himself to decide for others that the risk to too great to bear, in fact, I agree and this is why a majority of the time, I won't let me girlfriend ride passenger on my motorcycle.

Bottom line is, this story is very sad for all parties and instead of pointing fingers, maybe we should get the facts straight, learn from them, and enjoy life as we see fit.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 02:16 AM   #48
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335iftw View Post
Really? He was doing what he loves, on a track, responsibly and legally. Unfortunately he made an error and it nearly costed him his life. Doesn't make him an idiot. Just an unfortunate situation.
I'd guess he pushed it a little harder than usual to try to impress his GF.
      04-27-2013, 03:00 AM   #49
e90335iftw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
I'd guess he pushed it a little harder than usual to try to impress his GF.
What ever happened, happened. We shouldn't bash the guy for this by calling him an idiot. The poor guy lost his s/o.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 03:05 AM   #50
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
What ever happened, happened. We shouldn't bash the guy for this by calling him an idiot. The poor guy lost his s/o.
I didn't call him an idiot.
      04-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #51
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I don't envy folks that have inadvertently killed someone else, it has to be one of the worst situations imaginable. There is someone on my other forum who killed others incl. his friends in his car, and then I guess 5-6 yrs. later he states he's back, engaged, and has a new car (does this new woman know what happened to the last or one of the last?). I was away from the forum because I was here and on the forum for my wife's car, but it was so easy for me to google and find his story on what he had done, his jail sentence, etc. Tragic.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #52
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Quote:
Did you even read the story? He took his girlfriend and she died. That's his fault. And you're still defending him?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #53
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
I've logged hundreds of laps at Chuckwalla and have never seen anyone come close to hitting anything. I'm so confused at how he could have hit that flag station. He definitely wasn't doing something right and the result is devastating.
Can anybody post a diagram illustrating these points? I've never heard of or been to this track, and looking at the picture on the first page it looks like a barren wasteland around the course. I'm trying to picture how something this tragic is possible.

Quote:
Did you even read the story? He took his girlfriend and she died. That's his fault. And you're still defending him?
That's debatable. While I agree with nearly everybody here in saying we shouldn't take our loved ones to ride passenger at the track, as long as she was doing so conscious of the risks and of her own free will, he is not responsible for bringing her along for the ride. For all we know she was passionate about going to the track as much as him? Maybe she loved riding along and would have been pissed if he didn't take her.

Perhaps this will be a cautionary tale to any significant others who are of the same mind as she possibly could have been.
      04-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #54
SwissCheeseHead
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328it

Quote:
You can't fault they guy for wanting to do something that he enjoyed with his girlfriend. If you wanted to go skydiving, bungee jumping, hell even skiing or snowboarding, wouldn't you want to take your g/f with you too? Like others have said, there is risk in everything. People die on the motorway in accidents all day every day, with their loved ones. You don't blame those folks do you? He was the only one on the track at the time. The conditions all took a turn for the worse and he and his g/f paid the ultimate cost for it. I feel terrible for them and their families. There's no need to crucify him for it. He's already in so much pain and this is something that he will have to live it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #55
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
A sad tale, but a good reminder to all of us how quickly things can change in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #56
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

The course was being run CCW, and coming out of the bowl is a right-left kink going uphill, so the apex is blind. you can carry a lot of speed through here, especially if you have a car with decent grip and power. I'm thinking maybe he dropped a wheel or 2 off on the outside of corner exit and it rotated the car back toward the inside an into the flag station on the left side of the track.

The kind of car he was in was not the issue (for ignorant people saying that FWD or integras are unsafe or incapable at the track). Any car could have ended up in the same place. I've seen all kinds of cars wreck at the track, including BMWs. It's an accident, and they happen. Unfortunately, for this guy, the consequences were much worse than a typical off track excursion.

I've run on the track with this outfit before, and believe I was on the track with this driver and his friends late last year. I never felt that anyone was being "unsafe" around me, everyone was driving hard and having a good time. It's unfortunate that these things happen, and I feel for the families of the driver and his gf.

it is the nature of the sport. Car racing in any form is dangerous - including "having fun" on the street, like many people on the forum probably do. At least this guy was at the track in a controlled environment, and not on public streets.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #57
BCeagle08
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
No. It doesn't. Ride alongs happen ALL the time at the track without any incident. This was a sad and unfortunate exception. If ride alongs were so much riskier, they would be banned everywhere which they aren't. If its not for you, that's fine but make that your own personal choice and not one that you feel needs to be forced on everyone else.
Personally I think any "club" that allows passenger ride alongs is asking for trouble and should not be doing it. I know a lot of HPDEs do allow it, but it's moronic. I know NASA permits passengers, but it 100% discretionary and they outline the dangers very clearly in the rules. If it wasn't dangerous, they wouldn't put so many restrictions on it. If it wasn't dangerous, sanctioning bodies would allow it during race events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derp
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you've never ridden along with a skilled driver at the track. If you did, you would know you learn tons that you can't get from video or in track side instructions. In a ride along, you feel the car and how the driver is making it move. You can feel braking force, turn in and exit aggressiveness, body roll, chassis vibration, etc. You can't get that from a video, a lap time or someone watching from the pits.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I've drive a full blown formula car with full data and video, so I am pretty confident that I know what can be learned and what can't be learned through post sessions analysis.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #58
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
Damn..
      04-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #59
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

RIP. I really want to do track days but I would probably never take my girl. This just solidifies that decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #60
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCeagle08 View Post
Personally I think any "club" that allows passenger ride alongs is asking for trouble and should not be doing it. I know a lot of HPDEs do allow it, but it's moronic. I know NASA permits passengers, but it 100% discretionary and they outline the dangers very clearly in the rules. If it wasn't dangerous, they wouldn't put so many restrictions on it. If it wasn't dangerous, sanctioning bodies would allow it during race events.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I've drive a full blown formula car with full data and video, so I am pretty confident that I know what can be learned and what can't be learned through post sessions analysis.
I'm very happy for you! Your opinion is noted.

As a postscript, I can't help but think the real issue with this tragedy is not the ride along but the ride along in the absence of real safety gear. Had these two been in a caged car with SFI belts and helmets, etc. this debate would likely not be happening.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #61
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

SAD.........RIP.

I think we all have been a bit stupid at times.... in the heat of the moment stupidity can cloud your judgment.

To all here be safe specially when your loved one are riding with you
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0