E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Transmission Hardware Differences Between Alpina B3 and 335i?

11-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #23
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Well in europe we actually run hard ALL gears.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      11-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #24
enrita
Major General

Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Is 4th, especially 5th gear runs that overheat the trans .
enrita is offline   Sweden
      11-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #25
135Pats
Can't decide....

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Is 4th, especially 5th gear runs that overheat the trans .
The 1 mile type run certainly seems to be more popular in Europe. I could count on one hand the number of complete 3-4-5 pulls Iíve done, and I donít baby my car.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/RB Turbos/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
      11-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #26
WedgePerformance

Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Garage List
I took my car to a track day at PIR in Portland OR a few months back and ran 5 20 min sessions. My car was so hot it smelled like it was going to burst spontaneously into flames. Ended up burning through two full tanks of E85 that day. Also used a liter of oil and 5 gal of meth. On the last session, an Audi TTRS showed up. I pushed my car to the point the tires were greasy trying to keep up with that AWD toy... My car ended up going into a reduced power mode due to oil temps, so I had to shut her down a few minutes early. My rotors actually got so hot, they turned blue. Also, the carbon in my exhaust tips turned white. I wonder if I have any carbon on my intake valves? hmmmm

BTW, A new set of high performance rotors and Hawk pads went on last week at CWarren's glass shop.... Thanks Carl...
WedgePerformance is offline   United_States
      11-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #27
lfelunden
First Lieutenant

Drives: Alpina B3S Biturbo Coupe

Garage List
I won't believe that Alpina uses the normal trans from the BMWs.
If you talk about overheating, this should prove that it's not the fact

Watch last clip at 2 min, 4 people 200 MPH.
      11-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #28
135Pats
Can't decide....

The transmission is identical, you could swap it with a “normal” N54 6AT and it would bolt up 100%. There’s just no other way to put it. What does 200mph with a heavy car prove regarding different hardware? There are dozens of cars on this board that would hit 200 provided sufficient downforce and stability. The ZF box is pretty damn strong, it’s the software side of things that is screwing us over.

Does the B3 have additional/dedicated trans cooling? That I could certainly believe.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/RB Turbos/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
      11-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #29
rismo
Captain

Drives: BMW E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
The 1 mile type run certainly seems to be more popular in Europe. I could count on one hand the number of complete 3-4-5 pulls I’ve done, and I don’t baby my car.
1 mile? :-)

What about 200-250km/h for 500-1000km in a row in Germany....with lots of braking and pulling....very often? Happy to be living 150km from the German autobahn...

Seriously, I should have added a trans cooler, and performed oil changes the proper way... by really cleaning out all old oil film/residu with appropriate fluids... instead of emtpying and refilling the box.

My 2th up to 5th gears were gone, first was harmed, 6th was in normal shape. Funny thing, the car was driving still normal with some noticable slip now and then. Seems that the TCU was adjusting quite well.

I did not had the Alpina flash...

By the way, the DCT seems to keep up very well, running FBO+RB's meth and Ethanol... for more then 30k km's... still spot on...
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - Procede Rev 3 - Vishnu Meth and Chargepipe - Forge Diverter Valves - Vishnu Flex Fuel Kit- AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - EBC Yellow Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PSS - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
      11-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #30
135Pats
Can't decide....

Yea…we don’t have those types of roads here haha.

DCT box has continued to surprise me in terms of how much heat it will take. Early results were not promising, but I’ve seen some pretty strong cars running DCT boxes. We’ll see how it holds up long term, at this point we more or less know the ZF 6AT will hold hybrid turbo type power so long as you don’t live above 140mph (which many of you in Europe do, so I guess different life spans for the trannys)
      11-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #31
WedgePerformance

Garage List
Quote:
YeaÖwe donít have those types of roads here haha.

DCT box has continued to surprise me in terms of how much heat it will take. Early results were not promising, but Iíve seen some pretty strong cars running DCT boxes. Weíll see how it holds up long term, at this point we more or less know the ZF 6AT will hold hybrid turbo type power so long as you donít live above 140mph (which many of you in Europe do, so I guess different life spans for the trannys)
Well, we do, you just can't get caught going that fast. Do you know why I pulled you over?
      11-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #32
135Pats
Can't decide....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
Well, we do, you just can't get caught going that fast. Do you know why I pulled you over?
No i'm serious...in the DC area....we don't have those types of roads

Get 20 miles outside the beltway and you can find some good spots. But inner loop, you aren't clearing 80mph unless its between say midnight-5am.
      11-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #33
WedgePerformance

Garage List
Quote:
No i'm serious...in the DC area....we don't have those types of roads

Get 20 miles outside the beltway and you can find some good spots. But inner loop, you aren't clearing 80mph unless its between say midnight-5am.
I know the feeling. We have 6 lane highways here, but the people out here can't drive and everyone wants to be in the left lane doing 50 mph. I actually stay in the right lane because I can drive faster. haha
      03-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #34
07tundra
Major

Drives: TUNDRA

So everyone is hell bent that no hardware changes occur.....right? But there has been fresh 6hp21's with all kinds of work done to them to include the alpina flash and they still slip. so whats the difference? Do their cars not have as much hp or torque than ours.........just because it's not said or noted on some sheet doesn't mean it didn't happen. There has to be something different
07tundra is offline   United_States
      03-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #35
Jeffman
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
I have 48K miles on my 08 335xi and haven't noticed any tranny slip yet. I do feel DSC intervention (timing pulls?). How can you tell the difference between tranny slip and DSC intervention?
      03-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #36
Jeffman
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
Second question: is there a way to use INPA to diagnose AT tranny health? If not, are there any other software tools that can?
      03-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #37
Dmacc
Colonel

Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman
I have 48K miles on my 08 335xi and haven't noticed any tranny slip yet. I do feel DSC intervention (timing pulls?). How can you tell the difference between tranny slip and DSC intervention?
You could turn off traction control no? See if the slip still persists?

thanks to MGallop
      03-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #38
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

If DSC/DTC is on and revs rise but not speed, likely it's slipping.