E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > New to detailing

04-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
bonnie335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

New to detailing

Hey guys I bought a 11 335i special edition last November and this will be my first summer with the car. This is my first car and I really want to take care of it. I'm new to detailing and was wondering if someone can guide me on the right direction to what I should use to keep the car and rims in great condition and what are recommend brands to use. Any input would greatly be appreciated thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
jbas93
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Meguirs makes decent car care products. You can find then at any auto shop. (autozone) if you want more high end products search the forum lot of people use different products OPTIMUM or Chemical Guys. For beginners I guess you can start off with washing the car, claying it, polishing, and waxing. When washing i usually clean wheels first. And for the body always wash from top to bottom. You don't want to carry all the dirt from the bottom of the car to other areas. Search around and you can get some more ideas!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
drmdvl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2015 Macan Turbo

Garage List
I'm an amateur DIY'er as well. I learned everything you need to know from this site and from detailed image's step by step guide...
http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
bonnie335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey thanks a lot for the help guys. I'm going to do some more research because I realized my question is quite broad and I'll let you guys know for more specifics!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie335i View Post
Hey guys I bought a 11 335i special edition last November and this will be my first summer with the car. This is my first car and I really want to take care of it. I'm new to detailing and was wondering if someone can guide me on the right direction to what I should use to keep the car and rims in great condition and what are recommend brands to use. Any input would greatly be appreciated thank you!
Kudos to you for taking pride in your first car and wanting to maintain it. I can't believe some of the crap some people do to their cars.

DetailedImage ftw! They have great guides. To put it generally:

1. 2 bucket system for wash -- use a stripping wash (CG Citrus) if you are doing a full detail, if not you can use a cleaning wash (CG Maxi Suds). If you are going store bought, I recommend Meguiar's Gold Class.

2. Clay bar -- Store bought, can be about $20 for the kit. I used Meguiar's Clay Kit. Since then, I've bought bars and clay lube at DI.

3. Polish -- if you get serious, get a PC Polisher. Invest in some polishes, Meguiar's lower end but still great, Meznerna higher end.

4. Wax -- The list goes on and on.

5. Sealant -- Again.

I do the above at least twice a year. But for maintenance washes, I'll do 1, 4, 5. And I'll usually do 5 instead of 4 because sealants last longer.
      04-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
bonnie335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks a lot, i plan on starting my full detail in late april when the roads and snow fully clear here in alberta. i will inform you guys if i have any more questions, which i probably will haha. thanks again, all you guys are really helpful and friendly, really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

I know it was linked above but I'd highly recommend the Detailed Image detailing guide. It has a great step by step guide for all the major steps in the detailing process. I would also HIGHLY recommend our Ask a Pro Blog. This blog has top notch detailers from around the country providing insight on products, how to guides and their professional work. It's a tremendous resource that can help both brand new detailers and experienced pros. Hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0