E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Alloys- peeling lacquer

01-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Reggie-g75
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

Alloys- peeling lacquer

Guys,

I've had my e92 for just 6 months now and noticed while washing today that I have a few small areas where the lacquer has started to peel.

Would this be covered by the AUC warranty?

The car is a 57 plate, 70k and I've never used acidic/ harsh cleaners.

Cheers...... Rich
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Very unlikely but you can only ask.

Wheels have a really tough time with brake dust, salt etc and most will be showing signs of wear and tear after 4.5 years and 70k.

Too many people still attack wheels with harsh chemicals and it's likely somebody has in the cars life.

They are not covered under bmw warranty and buying a used car you do have to accept imperfections.

Are they that bad, or is it just now you've spotted it you are looking for it?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
ComputerKnowHow
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

I had this happen a couple of months after I bought my E90 via AUC. It does come under wear and tear but I argued that the car hadn't been properly prepared under the AUC checks.

The car I part-exed was nearly 5 years old from Vauxhall and showed no such signs of wear. In the end the used car sales department offered to meet me half way and they paid for 2 wheels to be relacquered and I paid for 2. I think it was the cheapest repair you can possibly get on an alloy wheel but I got all 4 done so they matched. I recently got a buckled wheel after 85k miles and had to replace 1 wheel with a box fresh brand new 1. The colour match of the existing wheels isn't too bad though. I've only ever washed the car by hand since with standard Autoglym shampoo and the problem hasn't reoccurred.

As stated above, it's a used car and I had to accept there would be some cosmetic damage on a car that's done 40k miles as long as there weren't dented panels etc. Same with stone chips etc - they appeared to have been touched up and therefore I wonder if the alloys had seen a bit of cosmetic treatment.

I wonder if I could stand the wear and tear if I'd bought it brand new i.e. would I wince every time a stone rattled off the bonnet on the M1?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Reggie-g75
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

Thanks both for your comments. I may email the dealer and see what the score is. It's only two little areas but they do spread quite quickly.

My experience of the AUC warranty and wear and tear auguments isn't great. Had a bonnet catch on my zed fail and they argued wear and tear on that!
Appreciate 0