E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Switching from standard 335 exhaust tips to is tips

11-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Switching from standard 335 exhaust tips to is tips

Hey everyone,

I managed to snag some 335is exhaust tips and I'm looking to install them on my car. I know most folks just have the old tips just off and the new ones welded in place. I would like to avoid that as it opens me up to misalignment issues. Plus the tips came with precious little piping attached to weld on.

I did notice when I was examining the tips though that the outer "skin" of the tip appears to be separate from the rest of the regular tubing. It looks like the skin is tack welded at the forward edge of the tip (the part you can't see). I am thinking if I can cut that tack weld I can get the skin loose from the inner tubing. If I do the same with the tips on the car I can simply swap the skins. I would use something like JB weld to attach the is skins to the tubing and I should be set.

Has anyone done something like this before? I will post some photos of what I am thinking later on today but I figured I would ask the collective consciousness about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here is one of the tips close up. You can see the two welds on either side of the skin. I am thinking if I cut those I can slip the skin off the inner tubing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well I guess I answered my own question. The fun part is going to be doing this again on the car (or rather under...)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Be sure to let us know how it works! Pictures are worth a 1000 words.
      11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well the job is done. I opted to forgo the JB Weld and instead used a single screw and nut. The skin fits so tightly over the exhaust tubing that all you really need to do is lock it on. Hence the screw. I may take a sharpie to the head if it bugs me but you can't see it from the top anyways.

And yes, the car is FILTHY! It is difficult to keep a car clean around here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0