E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Key programming

11-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
sd01
Rep
Drives: 328i

Key programming

Hello, does anyone here have experience programming keys? If so could you let me know what tool you used? Did you get the radio remote working? Did you use one of the aftermarket/clone keys or unlocked oem key?

I started trying to do it a couple years ago, but at that time I had trouble finding sources for unlocked/blank keys. Now there seems to be a lot more sources, but most of the programmers don't have real good documentation. I've heard about a lot if issues where for example the key will start the car, but the remote doesn't work, etc. I've also found some places that will program, but their price isn't that much cheaper than a new key from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

It depends on:

Your skills with BDM programmers vs what you are prepared to pay.

Basically you need to read the CAS eeprom and retrieve the secret key (ISN). Once you have the ISN you can reprogram a virgin key using any cheap HITAG2 programmer.

One all in one solution is something like BMW Multi Tool which uses the OBD port and is basically plug and play. This is very expensive however. I know people that pay out for the device, use it to program their key, then return it or sell it on eBay.

Cheapest was would to read the CAS eeprom directly using something like R270 or XPROG. This option depends on your soldering skills of course.
Appreciate 1
DaZuc202.00
      11-12-2016, 08:11 PM   #3
sd01
Rep

I do have an AK300, and I successfully read the CAS eeprom. I can load the file and see the CAS data. The issue is, I've read that some have programmed keys with the AK300 and it will start the car, but the remote doesn't work (unlock doors, etc.). Perhaps though, they could have been using Chinese cloned keys or chips that weren't fully fuctional.

Have you programmed keys with a Hitag2 and gotten the remote to work? If so which version of the Hitag2 do you have? I saw some older posts from Mashman, it looks like he got it to work with FVDI, but if it does in fact work with Hitag2 that would be great as those are much cheaper. Just trying to kind of get an idea of what does and doesn't work before I spend more on blank keys or a different programmer.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 01:59 AM   #4
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
it depends if your CAS is encrypted or not,
if your tools are clone or not,
etc
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 04:19 AM   #5
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Just to add FVDI is complete rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
sd01
Rep

CAS is not encrypted
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #7
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

This one seems ok...

http://www.vipprogrammer.com/v31-hit...programmer-874
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #8
sd01
Rep

Has anyone used this one and confirmed it is working, specifically with the remote? It seems like the seller's claims are usually overstated on these. I haven't really been able to find much of anything on anyone that has actually used one.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

I can't comment, the only one I've used is BMW Multi Tool. However it clearly states it'll do both, so if it doesn't just send it back...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:57 PM   #10
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post
it depends if your CAS is encrypted or not,
if your tools are clone or not,
etc
100%
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 07:08 PM   #11
sd01
Rep

Mashman - CAS is not encrypted. It is mfr date 10/06. I already read the eeprom, and the SW version matches the label on the box.

I'm mainly trying to figure out if the AK300 will program the key so that the remote works without burning through a lot of blank keys. I sent some to get unlocked and when I get them back I will probably just try it. I can't find much online in English, but I found one or two short posts that says the car will start but the remote doesn't work. The SW has a function to read and write the BMW remote codes, but it can't read the codes off a locked remote. Am I supposed to get the remote codes out of the eeprom bin file and write them before I program the key, or is the key maker supposed to take care of all of that?

If it doesn't work with the AK300 (I think it is same software as Hitag2 but may be older version), will Hitag2 3.1 work or is that essentially the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #12
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd01 View Post
Mashman - CAS is not encrypted. It is mfr date 10/06. I already read the eeprom, and the SW version matches the label on the box.

I'm mainly trying to figure out if the AK300 will program the key so that the remote works without burning through a lot of blank keys. I sent some to get unlocked and when I get them back I will probably just try it. I can't find much online in English, but I found one or two short posts that says the car will start but the remote doesn't work. The SW has a function to read and write the BMW remote codes, but it can't read the codes off a locked remote. Am I supposed to get the remote codes out of the eeprom bin file and write them before I program the key, or is the key maker supposed to take care of all of that?

If it doesn't work with the AK300 (I think it is same software as Hitag2 but may be older version), will Hitag2 3.1 work or is that essentially the same thing?
Sorry, I don't have experience with AK300, but Hitag2 should work, as long as the eeprom is not encrypted.

Have you joined digitalkaos? They have a 'locksmith' forum under 'the garage'. There is tons of information there, and if you don't find what you are looking for ask. But be careful how you ask, I made sure to mention that I could not find a locksmith in my area who was able to help me.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #13
sd01
Rep

Just an update, I finally got around to trying this, and both remote and transponder programmed with the AK300 are working, and I was able to program 3 spare keys. I did not have to get the Hitag 3.1. I suspect the trick to getting the remotes to work is getting the right, properly prepared blank keys. It sounds like some of the Chinese cloned keys and cloned PCF7945 are not working.

The only issue I noticed is getting a low key battery warning on the dash. The batteries must be at least somewhat working though as the remote buttons do work, and measured approx. 2.99V. Hopefully it is just a result of the old keys sitting around for a while without being used and the batteries will charge in the key slot (manual states keys charge in the slot, but not specific on whether car needs to be running, ignition on, etc.).
Appreciate 1
Levanime192.50
      12-30-2016, 01:48 AM   #14
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=903551
comfort access keys have a battery .
You can try putting the other type in an inductive
charger such as a toothbrush charter for out of
car charging.