E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action

10-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #529
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
£36 ain't too bad I guess. That's disgusting hiw much they've tried to charge you initially. I'd have expected that before the initial admission that there was a problem by BMW. Not now! That said, it's a problem, the run out test was carried out and it was in your favour. That should have automatically gone in your favour!

I'd love to know how far you took it on the phone!!
Yeh, I could live with £36 i guess. But the thing that annoyed me is how often they "tried it on". The dealer that i went to is very well known as being one of those dealers who quote ridiculous prices and only caters to people with more money than sense.

The main thing that i learned is that everyone will tell you "sorry sir, that's not possible". Bollocks. Anything is possible, you just have to talk to the right person to make it happen, and not the initial call takers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpom23 View Post
Seriously?
Yeh, but this was also the same dealer who tried to convince me that the oil filter and microfilter were the same thing, so make of that what you will.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #530
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
Yeh, I could live with £36 i guess. But the thing that annoyed me is how often they "tried it on". The dealer that i went to is very well known as being one of those dealers who quote ridiculous prices and only caters to people with more money than sense.

The main thing that i learned is that everyone will tell you "sorry sir, that's not possible". Bollocks. Anything is possible, you just have to talk to the right person to make it happen, and not the initial call takers.

Yeh, but this was also the same dealer who tried to convince me that the oil filter and microfilter were the same thing, so make of that what you will.

Hahahaha, brilliant...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #531
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Chandlers BMW Portslade

My first cracked alloy , at 10,000mls car was in for its first MOT and I was waiting in the coffee lounge and the service guy came across and said we have some bad news sir, Failed its mot on a cracked wheel ,the good news we can try and source a replacement foc on monday if it passes the run out test,

I took the day off work and went back and had a chat and said if I understand it from the parts guys the newer versions no longer crack ! , So as it is a common fault and a known fault would it make sense to replace both to save me comming in again , NO! when it breaks we will do a runout test and go from there , he said BMWs policy is if it isnt broke it isnt replaced ,I said really we have a 6cyl petrol 325i and to my knoledge when 1 coil pack failed you replaced it with 6 and 6 inj and 6 plugs ,He said that is different it is a known fault , I said so is the wheels breaking so much so it has been on watchdog . Any way the wheel was replaced and the other rear given a clean bill of health i was sent on my way.

This week I had BMW send me a customer service satisfaction survey , So I filled it in as I felt appropriate and bugger me if The Service manager form the branch called me to almost challenge my opinions on her team ,We had a conversation and at the end of it she said ,I can fully appreciate your stance as in if a coil pack fails and the car goes in to limp mode its ok and safe to use, If a rear wheel goes and ruins a tyre and my wife and kids are stranded out somewhere im going to be so pissed off it wont be printable.

I thought it ballsy of her to call me up ,but fair play she was doing her best for her team , we agreed to disagree and she said she would have another crack at getting it sorted as in put the newer version on for peace of mind.I said I didnt expect to hear from her because she had already said she had done her best for me.

It shows the Feed back is read and fair play I have one new wheel supplied foc and now have to wait for the other to fail and go from there
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #532
Richardoe92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320 d M Sport coupe

I had the misfortune to have a blow out on Christmas Eve, got the tyre (RF) replaced, paid , got up off the floor to be told the wheel was cracked.
The tyre fitter suggested the cracks were quite old and had not been caused by the blow out, ( I had driven 15 miles tops, @ 30 mph) the run flat sensor kicked in a mile from the tyre garage !!
now I face a bit of a dilemma.
Do I go aftermarket ,(very reluctantly) or get all the wheels checked and replace as necessary with BMW replacements?
Needless to say,the run flats will be ditched either way.
The wheels are 19" 225M, on a 2009 320d m sport coupe
I bought the car in June this my first bmw and I am well dischuffed.
Don't suppose I've got a cat in hells chance of a refund as I bought the car privately, albeit with FBMWSH.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #533
kenno78
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
anyone else been told that BMWs goodwill gesture is only for 5 years? Apparently anything over 5 years "is never covered by goodwill" according to my local dealer...
Both my rear wheels are cracked and as a result of my car's age (06), BMW have refused to offer any form of goodwill.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #534
330ivert
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

my drivers rear has FOUR cracks in it which i found out on boxing day nice xmas present, towed to the dealer yesterday and they rang to say both rears are cracked the drivers failed run out test but passenger rear passed so they would change that one only, i rang bmw uk customer service, got the usual run around but persisted in having a go at the 'senior service manager' they eventually agreed to replace both after i stated that i would never buy another bmw again as they clearly arent very prestige when ford seem to make better wheels than they are capable off.

but they did come good in the end just a shame it turned into a stressful argument, but does show they will budge in the end
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #535
Mole
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Coupe E92

Hi Everyone,

Please can somebody provide clarity on the following - Will BMW replace cracked alloys without a valid warranty? I have a 2007 330d M Sport Coupe and on my 3rd cracked alloy now failing my MOT

On a positive note, now fully serviced and no other issues re MOT.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 03:09 AM   #536
eddiem74
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 325i M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole View Post
Hi Everyone,

Please can somebody provide clarity on the following - Will BMW replace cracked alloys without a valid warranty? I have a 2007 330d M Sport Coupe and on my 3rd cracked alloy now failing my MOT

Thanks
Is it the same alloy? and were previous cracked wheels replaced by BMW? If yes, it is possible the wheel is even under part warranty after being replaced previously.
      01-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #537
Richardoe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardoe92 View Post
I had the misfortune to have a blow out on Christmas Eve, got the tyre (RF) replaced, paid , got up off the floor to be told the wheel was cracked.
The tyre fitter suggested the cracks were quite old and had not been caused by the blow out, ( I had driven 15 miles tops, @ 30 mph) the run flat sensor kicked in a mile from the tyre garage !!
now I face a bit of a dilemma.
Do I go aftermarket ,(very reluctantly) or get all the wheels checked and replace as necessary with BMW replacements?
Needless to say,the run flats will be ditched either way.
The wheels are 19" 225M, on a 2009 320d m sport coupe
I bought the car in June this my first bmw and I am well dischuffed.
Don't suppose I've got a cat in hells chance of a refund as I bought the car privately, albeit with FBMWSH.
Just an update on this one, had the run out test done yesterday, and the Dealer replaced the the cracked alloy foc, and gave the other 3 a clean bill of health, only had to pay for the run out test, superb service I have to say.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #538
chriz1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d?

What year is your car mate? And is it under any bmw warranty
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #539
Richardoe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi mate. 2009 as per my earlier e mails, the car is not under warranty as I bought it privately, so I reckon it was a bit of a result to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #540
gdotp
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D Sport E93

I have e93 on an 08 plate. Followed this thread since I got the car but was hoping that I would not need to. Well just before Xmas left rear went down and after checking it I found a crack in the rim. The cars done 47k. Got in touch with the dealer and they confirmed the crack and said they would have to check the wheel alignment to see if they could replace it. In the mean time I forked out £550 to have a new rim and two new tyres put on that I'd already got new (spares having had to wait two weeks last time I replaced the rears). Anyhow today the dealer said the wheel failed the test and was 2.5mm out while the limit is 2mm +/- .3mm, I.e mine was .2mm too bent......I pointed out the wheel was perfect no scrapes at all and showed no visible signs of damage. Still they held out saying they could not refund.

I then got in touch with the BWM helpline (number on BBC watchdog site) who after a few hours came back and said that they would agree to refund the wheel fully as a goodwill gesture which was nice.

Now although I have a result I'm not totally pleased.
1. Why should have to argue about a product that is not fit for purpose
2. what happens when the other rear goes....as it will
3. When it does where will I be stranded next time and what happens when it ruins the tyre

Another interesting snippet or two.
1. The service mgr admitted he'd seen far far too many of these
2. He admitted it had beed redesigned
3. He also said that for cars over 5 years old only BMW could make goodwill gestures while with younger cars it was within his gift

Finally I sent a complaint back through to the BBC as I don't think that BMW are living up to their commitments to replace wheels independent of the runout test if they are clearly I un-damaged.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #541
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

gdot - I think your last point is crucial. The response to Watchdog was that all wheels would be replaced independent of run out, in fact that the test would be scrapped and only a visual inspection would take place.

I'm also growing increasingly concerned at this >5yrs lark, mine is now over 5yrs old and I would be fuming if I was refused a replacement despite having only 40k on the clock
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #542
khurmit
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole
Hi Everyone,

Thanks
yes. had a replacement in Aug on a 56 plate registered Jan 07
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #543
TigMik
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Back in an M3!

I have just had 2 new rear wheels replaced FOC. 2009 335i e93 25k. And they fitted 2 new non run flat tyres that I took with me free of charge as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #544
S114HED
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport - 2009

So just to confirm BMW do replace the 19 225 alloys foc?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #545
gdotp
Rep

My experience yes but I had to bypass the dealer after they refused.went straight to customer service who replaced as a good will gesture.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #546
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

Totally and thoroughly p****d off, called at my tyre chap on Friday as I need two new rears, only to find that the o/s rear had 3 cracks on inside rim. This is 18 months after the dealer replaced the rear two under warranty.
Had to delay the tyres and booked my car in this morning, dealer rang back at lunchtime saying that both rears had cracks and a front one as well. They wouldn't do the check as they weren't willing to put my tyres back on as they were on limit.
They also said as car is now over 4 yrs old (but wheels only 18months old), they doubted if BMW would even consider free replacement.

I have spoken to my tyre guy who will fit some part worn ones so I can go back to dealer tomorrow and let them do the test.
Not hopeful though but surely this can't be right ?.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #547
Dragon88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320i M-Sport

I would pushback and as others have mentioned, go to BMW CS if your dealer says no.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #548
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Can someone tell me what problems there would be with putting regular tyres on these crap alloys instead of RFT's? Will they refuse to cover any subsequent alloy probs/claims against other related components like suspension etc?

My car is 5yrs old now and whilst I have no cracks I'm tempted to switch given that they are cheaper/more comfortable and less likely to crack the alloys BMW are reluctant to replace?!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #549
gdotp
Rep

Just a thought. If someone could X-ray a wheel (or ultrasound) that had not yet cracked do you think there would be any sign of stress cracking. If so this would go someway to proving that at we are not all hitting potholes !

G.P
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #550
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

We'll update on my problems,and I must stress that I don't question anyone else's advice on here so please don't take offence it my own experience.

As said the car had 3 cracked wheels, 2 rear 1 front. The dealer said I would have to pay for all three which was over £1500. I wasn't going to even consider this, so my task began following advice from this great site.

I rang BMW customer service, spoke to a lad who tried his best to fob me off and saying that as my dealer had found excessive wear to the inner edge of the tyres he couldn't help.
I went back to dealer and pointed out the wear was because of the wheels, and they came back with an offer to pay 50% -£800.
Rang BMW CS back and spoke to the same lad who tried to convince me to take the offer as the tyres had been the cause (yeh right!), so I firmly asked to speak to his supervisor. A young lady came on and said exactly the same thing. I demanded they speak to the service manager at my dealer as something wasn't right. They tried to say my car was to far out of warranty, I reminded them they had replaced the rear wheels 18 months ago so they where younger than the car. The girl even tried to question my service history as a reason.

By now I was about to explode, rang trading standards and the gov consumer advice line,to describe these as friggin useless is an understatement, the ca woman was more interested in the cars finance than the problem. My advice is don't bother with these clowns.

BMW CS rang back and said they had emailed the dealer and as far as they were concerned case closed. So again my advice is don't bother with these useless, pointless wasters unless you are in need of an address for your local sushi bar via the connect thingy.

So went back to dealer ready for a row, to my utter amazement the service manager was waiting for me. A pleasant chat about what he thought of the CS dept which wasn't much. As I was a decent previous customer he offered to intervene and get back to me, today he rang and said that that BMW had agreed to let me pay £360 (not sure how they worked that out) and that he would pay the £160 so I have 3 wheels for £200.

Now some will say I should have held out for nil, but I was getting nowhere and my 5 year old car was on a ramp waiting. So my experience is that they will no longer just replace unless in warranty, BMW CS and consumer advice are totally useless and that at the end of the day finding the right person to speak to is the only way.
Appreciate 0