E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M3 Purchase, back with BMW

03-04-2015, 03:59 AM   #1
vegnomeat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

M3 Purchase, back with BMW

I was a previous poster when I had a 335i with a P Torque map. I Only sold it because the mileage was getting a bit high and I fancied a change. I replaced it with an XKR which really was a great car but the technology in it was very old and basic. I then moved house to the sticks in rural Herefordshire and bought an A3 Quattro because of the damn snow.

Here I am now having purchased an M3 from Crossflags BMW with the following Spec.

Seven-speed double clutch transmission.
High-gloss Shadowline exterior trim.
Extended storage.
Sun protection glass.
Enhanced Bluetooth telephone functionality.
Heated front seats.
BMW Assist.
Voice control system.
Electronic damper control.
USB audio interface.
19" M Double-spoke alloy wheels.
Electric folding exterior mirrors.
Front and rear park distance control (PDC)

I haven't driven it yet and neither have I ever driven an M3. So collection on Friday will be something new followed by a 260 mile drive home.

A couple of questions, will the dealer update all of the operating systems prior to delivery, will I need to purchase a cable to use an ipod touch, if so which one please and finally will the latest maps be installed?

Further, if anyone has any advice of any kind then do please post.

Regards
Current; M3 2011. Previous; Audi A3 184 Quattro, Jaguar XKR, BMW 335i coupe, Mercedes SL500, BMW 330ci, Jaguar XK8, Jaguar XK8, BMW325i, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 928 GT, Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 928 S2, Ford Cosworth Sapphire, Audi UR Quattro, Audi Quattro, Capri 2.8, Singer Vogue.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 04:03 AM   #2
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

Wow your braver than me spending all that money having not driven it, or even something similar! I hope you like it. Should be a fun trip back.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 04:11 AM   #3
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegnomeat View Post

A couple of questions, will the dealer update all of the operating systems prior to delivery, will I need to purchase a cable to use an ipod touch, if so which one please and finally will the latest maps be installed?
The dealer won't update any modules or the maps, unless you agreed it in the deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 05:04 AM   #4
BMWChap
Major
Rep
Drives: F32

I didn't drive mine either but drove other M3's before hand, I purchased mine from Ashford in Kent, I live in the West Midlands!

The dealer will update all the software related to the ECU as I believe this is mandatory now because of the vulnerabilities discovered after the recent theft of BMWS, they also upgraded my maps (CCC) and gave me the DVD also.

Get the car, have it for a week, point out all the bits your not happy with, take your car to a local BMW dealer to back up your claims then ask them to call the dealer you bought the car from and they should then arrange to come and pick up your car, the distance is irrelevant as they make money off warranty work
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #5
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

I didn't drive my 335i before I bought it.
I heard it running and did the normal checks and just bought it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

to people not driving their cars prior to handing over thousands and thousands of hard earned cash!!

Main Dealer, dealer, multi-market car dealer, private garage, private seller, or Arthur Daley.......

Surely you MUST DRIVE it? What if it drives like a dog, or has a grinding sound when changing gear etc etc etc!

Yes, you may say 'The sale of goods act say it must be road worthy and if faulty i would simple take it back'

But for fecks sake what a hassle and complete waste of time.

This is like saying Car Dealers of all ilk are VERY HONEST and would not sell a car with a problem on it

NO FECKING WAY!!

Along with the other Optical checks, and paper work checks a Test Drive no matter how short has to be an ESSENTIAL in buying a car???????

Unbelievable!! or am i of an old and bygone era
      03-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
vegnomeat
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Waspo,

I don't have any issues with not seeing the car, it's a BMW main dealer with a BMW Warranty backed up by BMW and with the dealer completing the preparation.

I wouldn't even contemplate purchasing a car like this from anyone but a BMW main dealer, regardless of test drive, proposed warranty or type of dealer.

I think I'm safe

Regards
Current; M3 2011. Previous; Audi A3 184 Quattro, Jaguar XKR, BMW 335i coupe, Mercedes SL500, BMW 330ci, Jaguar XK8, Jaguar XK8, BMW325i, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 928 GT, Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 928 S2, Ford Cosworth Sapphire, Audi UR Quattro, Audi Quattro, Capri 2.8, Singer Vogue.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy78 View Post
The dealer won't update any modules or the maps, unless you agreed it in the deal.
What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4KingUK View Post
I didn't drive mine either but drove other M3's before hand, I purchased mine from Ashford in Kent, I live in the West Midlands!

The dealer will update all the software related to the ECU as I believe this is mandatory now because of the vulnerabilities discovered after the recent theft of BMWS, they also upgraded my maps (CCC) and gave me the DVD also.

Get the car, have it for a week, point out all the bits your not happy with, take your car to a local BMW dealer to back up your claims then ask them to call the dealer you bought the car from and they should then arrange to come and pick up your car, the distance is irrelevant as they make money off warranty work
You Wish!

Would be interested to see where you gathered from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post

to people not driving their cars prior to handing over thousands and thousands of hard earned cash!!

Main Dealer, dealer, multi-market car dealer, private garage, private seller, or Arthur Daley.......

Depends on how far is the car from you.

I bought two cars without test driving them and without even looking at them (expcet in the photos). I paid all the money in dealers account when I purchased F10.

However, it is strongly recommended to see the car and drive.
My first car had minor issue which I resolved myself.
F10 required changing the batteries in both remotes and a bulb. Cheeky dealer said 'oh, it may have happened after we have done 150 point check' (or whatever it is).
      03-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #9
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegnomeat View Post
Hi Waspo,

I don't have any issues with not seeing the car, it's a BMW main dealer with a BMW Warranty backed up by BMW and with the dealer completing the preparation.

I wouldn't even contemplate purchasing a car like this from anyone but a BMW main dealer, regardless of test drive, proposed warranty or type of dealer.

I think I'm safe

Regards
Not having a go at you personally OP, but Main Dealers Honest???????

Yeah Right!!

Maybe it is just me!!??
      03-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #10
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

The word there is "think"

I wouldn't risk it but as long as your happy then that's the main thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
vegnomeat
Private First Class
Rep

I have an unshakeable faith in BMW main dealers, don't often hear those words in the same sentence

Regards
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #12
BMWChap
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
What he said.

You Wish!

Would be interested to see where you gathered from.

Depends on how far is the car from you.

I bought two cars without test driving them and without even looking at them (expcet in the photos). I paid all the money in dealers account when I purchased F10.

However, it is strongly recommended to see the car and drive.
My first car had minor issue which I resolved myself.
F10 required changing the batteries in both remotes and a bulb. Cheeky dealer said 'oh, it may have happened after we have done 150 point check' (or whatever it is).
A friend of mine has just purchased an M3 59plate, all software updated before he picked up his car, he didn't even mention it, they informed him what they had done as part of the handover process , they informed him that all vulnerable cars are now updated, maybe this at the discretion of the dealer..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #13
BMWChap
Major
Rep

If the car turns out to be a right shitter then you don't buy it and your deposit is returned.

Quote:

Surely you MUST DRIVE it? What if it drives like a dog, or has a grinding sound when changing gear etc etc etc!

Yes, you may say 'The sale of goods act say it must be road worthy and if faulty i would simple take it back'

But for fecks sake what a hassle and complete waste of time.

This is like saying Car Dealers of all ilk are VERY HONEST and would not sell a car with a problem on it

NO FECKING WAY!!

Along with the other Optical checks, and paper work checks a Test Drive no matter how short has to be an ESSENTIAL in buying a car???????

Unbelievable!! or am i of an old and bygone era
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:31 AM   #14
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

agree with Waspo. it is essential you test drive it. could have knocking under the feet. gear changes etc and so much more the feel. when you sit in passenger while the seller drives it alot could be hiding.

guy who brought my car off me last month. i had to force him to test drive it as he looked at it and said ill have it after 10minutes and he said to me nah dont worry i trust you but regardless if he trusts me i want him to drive it so he can feel himself
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:32 AM   #15
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
A friend of mine has just purchased an M3 59plate, all software updated before he picked up his car, he didn't even mention it, they informed him what they had done as part of the handover process , they informed him that all vulnerable cars are now updated, maybe this at the discretion of the dealer..
I will not trust that....Unless bmw is treating M3 differently.
      03-04-2015, 08:36 AM   #16
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
agree with Waspo. it is essential you test drive it. could have knocking under the feet. gear changes etc and so much more the feel. when you sit in passenger while the seller drives it alot could be hiding.

guy who brought my car off me last month. i had to force him to test drive it as he looked at it and said ill have it after 10minutes and he said to me nah dont worry i trust you but regardless if he trusts me i want him to drive it so he can feel himself
Sometime others think that beamers are bullet proof.
My E90 and E91 were not test driven and they were bought by first buyers who showed interest. I may be wrong but both cars went without being test driven so I take it that some of them think that beamer will be fine. Again, that is wrong perception and car should be test driven.
      03-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #17
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
If the car turns out to be a right shitter then you don't buy it and your deposit is returned.
But like i said, yes i know this, but what a ballaching waste of time and money that a simple test drive would have spotted!

Guess like most things in life, everyone has different opinions, but i would NEVER buy a car without me driving it, even when i bought from my 530d from Car Giant in London, i went for a 5 min run around their block, just to see, feel, hear it was not a dog!

As long as your happy, you do's what you think is best.

BTW i have a great car for sale, Great Runner and if you send me £5k you can pick it up next weekend
      03-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #18
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
But like i said, yes i know this, but what a ballaching waste of time and money that a simple test drive would have spotted!

Guess like most things in life, everyone has different opinions, but i would NEVER buy a car without me driving it, even when i bought from my 530d from Car Giant in London, i went for a 5 min run around their block, just to see, feel, hear it was not a dog!

BTW i have a great car for sale, Great Runner and if you send me £5k you can pick it up next weekend
i will send you 5k right now for that 330i of yours
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #19
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
i will send you 5k right now for that 330i of yours
Raj, i was think more of my Wifes SEAT
      03-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #20
_Ascension_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - Sophisto Grey

Quote:

I guess the other way to look at it is that if the car is at the other end of the country, if you are going to have to drive all the way there to look at it and find out it's no good, then you've wasted a fair bit of time (and money on the trip) anyway.

If it's from a main dealer then I can see why someone would choose not checking it beforehand as an option in that situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #21
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension335i View Post
I guess the other way to look at it is that if the car is at the other end of the country, if you are going to have to drive all the way there to look at it and find out it's no good, then you've wasted a fair bit of time (and money on the trip) anyway.

If it's from a main dealer then I can see why someone would choose not checking it beforehand as an option in that situation.
When i bought my M3 i drove from Southampton to Wigan to test drive and look at it and also check all paperwork was as it should be 100%. (Bought it)

Before i bought this one i had driven to Leeds, Colchester and London, turned these down as they did not meet the description of the car, another thing only an onsite inspection can verify!
      03-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #22
Stev443
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dark side Audi TTS

Enjoy your M3 I bought my E92 unseen I am in Scotland and the dealer was in Devon. Main dealer FSH car bmw warranty he email me all the details and sent me a video of the car inside and out under bonnet etc. car delivered had a couple of pernickety things but only because I like things perfect taken to my local dealer and sorted. No probs
Appreciate 0