E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Water Pump on its way out? (Weird Noise)

10-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Water Pump on its way out? (Weird Noise)

So basically earlier this week i've been hearing this weird high pitched noise when the car isn't in boost. It happens mainly if the car is idling and I hold the revs between 1-1.2k or if i'm driving and coasting slowly while in gear. I brought it to the shop today and we put it on the lift and it sounds like the water pump but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this noise and can confirm its the water pump or something else. I just want to be sure before I order a new pump and have it installed... Here's some pictures of where we think the noise is coming from and also a video i took earlier this week. The noise has gotten slightly better than it was in the video but its still there. I have my fuel gauge set to show the water temp and i've been monitoring that but otherwise the car seems to behave normally. Pulls hard as it usually does, builds boost normal, etc...

Edit: Also forgot to mention on the way home from the shop (45 minute drive on the highway) I was watching the temps and they didn't really go above the 1/4 tank mark which I think is 210 degrees.

Also should mention the noise happens while the car is turning off but once the engine stops the noise is gone it doesn't continue to run afterwards.

More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ

Last edited by psmitty95; 10-20-2012 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Sounds more like a belt or pully, have you replaced that recently?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-
I agree. That is almost exactly the sound my E39 made when the power steering pulley was on its last legs.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
I agree. That is almost exactly the sound my E39 made when the power steering pulley was on its last legs.
I hope so... Is that at least cheaper than a water pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
Which belt or pully?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
I hope so... Is that at least cheaper than a water pump?

Which belt or pully?
Hard to say without the car in front of me, remove the belt tand slowly turn the pulleys to look for any play. Could also just be the belt being worn and not tight enough or if you just recently replaced the belts, maybe the tensioner was over tighten.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hard to say without the car in front of me, remove the belt tand slowly turn the pulleys to look for any play. Could also just be the belt being worn and not tight enough or if you just recently replaced the belts, maybe the tensioner was over tighten.
Oh you're talking about the main belt? Wouldn't it make a noise at all RPM's though? It only happens with the car at around 1000-1200 RPM otherwise it sounds normal. So it's definitely not the waterpump, right? I've been watching my water temp on the fuel gauge and it's been around 1/4 all night even when I pushed the car a bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh you're talking about the main belt? Wouldn't it make a noise at all RPM's though? It only happens with the car at around 1000-1200 RPM otherwise it sounds normal. So it's definitely not the waterpump, right? I've been watching my water temp on the fuel gauge and it's been around 1/4 all night even when I pushed the car a bit.

It doesn't sound like the water pump, but again it's hard to say, it really sounds like a pulley from your video but again, it's hard to tell since we aren't in front of the car listening in certain areas.

You should still watch your engine temps, I've heard of water pumps failing pretty randomly. But in this case I don't think it's your water pump and

As the pulley spins the faster it spins IE engine rotations it will in a sense "Whine" up to where you don't hear it.

Another thing that comes to mind is the alternator, on my e46 my alternator is making that noise, and has been for the last month and is now showing the battery warning light (I think failing bearing on the alternator is my issue), I've been putting it off since I don't drive the car that often.

Check the Pulleys, Belt, and check the alternator make sure it's throwing the correct voltage, not sure what the correct voltage on e9x is suppose to throw on an e46 was 14v
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't sound like the water pump, but again it's hard to say, it really sounds like a pulley from your video but again, it's hard to tell since we aren't in front of the car listening in certain areas.

You should still watch your engine temps, I've heard of water pumps failing pretty randomly. But in this case I don't think it's your water pump and

As the pulley spins the faster it spins IE engine rotations it will in a sense "Whine" up to where you don't hear it.

Another thing that comes to mind is the alternator, on my e46 my alternator is making that noise, and has been for the last month and is now showing the battery warning light (I think failing bearing on the alternator is my issue), I've been putting it off since I don't drive the car that often.

Check the Pulleys, Belt, and check the alternator make sure it's throwing the correct voltage, not sure what the correct voltage on e9x is suppose to throw on an e46 was 14v

On a side note I noticed you are also in Greenwich, are you under warranty still? Hope you don't service it with Pace, those guys are really dumb.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
On a side note I noticed you are also in Greenwich, are you under warranty still? Hope you don't service it with Pace, those guys are really dumb.
Unfortunately not still under warranty but I may take it to the dealer and have them diagnose this... Monday i'm having my injector coded in anyway at a shop so i'll see what they think while i'm there.

Pace/Greenwich BMW is terrible... When I was under warranty I got my car back with gum on the pedals, a broken cowl, and they scratched the shit out of my cold air intake piping. On top of that they refused to fix my squeaking brakes until I wound up out of warranty and I had to replace them out of pocket... Definitely not a dealership I plan on dealing with again. If I decide to have the dealer Diagnose and fix the issue i'll most likely be going to Westchester BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 01:19 AM   #10
slostjoe
NEWBICON
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is

Put your key in the ignition and press the start button with out touching the brake or clutch and floor the gas pedal for 8-10 secs I believe and that will turn the water pump on without the engine running.

That will at least let you rule that our.
      10-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slostjoe View Post
Put your key in the ignition and press the start button with out touching the brake or clutch and floor the gas pedal for 8-10 secs I believe and that will turn the water pump on without the engine running.

That will at least let you rule that our.
Thanks. I'm going to try this along with watching the belt during idle today and i'll update with what happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Thanks. I'm going to try this along with watching the belt during idle today and i'll update with what happens.
What he said, but make sure your air's heat is on full blast.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Wait but if the Heat is on won't not be able to hear the pump?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ok so I just did what both of you said along with looking at the belt and didn't notice anything odd. I held the gas for around 10 seconds then got out and listened in the engine bay but didn't hear anything other than the heat fan? I tried to get a video of the belt while the car was idling so i'll try to post that later.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately not still under warranty but I may take it to the dealer and have them diagnose this... Monday i'm having my injector coded in anyway at a shop so i'll see what they think while i'm there.

Pace/Greenwich BMW is terrible... When I was under warranty I got my car back with gum on the pedals, a broken cowl, and they scratched the shit out of my cold air intake piping. On top of that they refused to fix my squeaking brakes until I wound up out of warranty and I had to replace them out of pocket... Definitely not a dealership I plan on dealing with again. If I decide to have the dealer Diagnose and fix the issue i'll most likely be going to Westchester BMW.
If you decide to bring the car to a dealership take it to BMW mount kisco, they are fantastic. I dealt with Rick with my turbos and I got follow ups nearly everyday through the process. Engine bay came back clean, and I was very happy.

Pace also broke my cowl. They have zero respect for anything. I had a big fight with the manager of Pace and they absolutely hate me in there since I reported them 4 times to BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you decide to bring the car to a dealership take it to BMW mount kisco, they are fantastic. I dealt with Rick with my turbos and I got follow ups nearly everyday through the process. Engine bay came back clean, and I was very happy.

Pace also broke my cowl. They have zero respect for anything. I had a big fight with the manager of Pace and they absolutely hate me in there since I reported them 4 times to BMW NA.
Same situation as me... Dealt with the manager and they probably hate me. Wound up emailing the head of BMW NA northeast in regards to the brakes and then got another email from the manager of Pace then he stopped responding to me... Is Mt. Kisco fine with mods?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Same situation as me... Dealt with the manager and they probably hate me. Wound up emailing the head of BMW NA northeast in regards to the brakes and then got another email from the manager of Pace then he stopped responding to me... Is Mt. Kisco fine with mods?
Not really sure but you can give them a call and explain the situation I don't think they care so long as it's not the cause of the damage. Specifically speak with either Vince the manager or Rick the sa you can tell them I recommended you.

Pace parts department tried to charge me 36.00 for 4 wires... I was like really? went to Darien BMW and got the same 4 wires for 8.00
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not really sure but you can give them a call and explain the situation I don't think they care so long as it's not the cause of the damage. Specifically speak with either Vince the manager or Rick the sa you can tell them I recommended you.

Pace parts department tried to charge me 36.00 for 4 wires... I was like really? went to Darien BMW and got the same 4 wires for 8.00
Ok will do. I'll either be going to Mt. Kisco or BMW westchester if I decide to have them do the work.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Any other ideas on things I can try to diagnose it? I really would rather not bring it to a dealership just to pay and have the issue diagnosed...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
Fendamonky
RX-7 phag
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
I'm fairly certain you need to have the heat temperature setting at it's highest (80 degrees) while the fan speed is set to it's lowest (1 bar) setting.

Turn off anything else in the car that is a drain on the battery. After your 10-15 second initiation period you should be able to hear clicking and bubbling from your coolant reservoir area.

The coolant flush takes about 13 min iirc, and it will cycle through several periods of pushing liquid and resting. If you start the car before then you won't hurt anything, you just won't get a full flush.

Also, I'd advise doing this on a cold engine, BEFORE the coolant system has built up pressure.
2014 Aprilia RSV-4 R - toy
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #21
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendamonky View Post
I'm fairly certain you need to have the heat temperature setting at it's highest (80 degrees) while the fan speed is set to it's lowest (1 bar) setting.

Turn off anything else in the car that is a drain on the battery. After your 10-15 second initiation period you should be able to hear clicking and bubbling from your coolant reservoir area.

The coolant flush takes about 13 min iirc, and it will cycle through several periods of pushing liquid and resting. If you start the car before then you won't hurt anything, you just won't get a full flush.

Also, I'd advise doing this on a cold engine, BEFORE the coolant system has built up pressure.
I thought that just made the waterpump run. I don't want to do a coolant flush...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
Fendamonky
RX-7 phag
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
I thought that just made the waterpump run. I don't want to do a coolant flush...
Hmm...I guess I misunderstood the posts than. Either way I'm thinking it's not your water pump that's breaking. When mine died I didn't have any indication or forewarning until I was driving into work and my car went into limp mode. Freaked me the hell out.

It does sound a little like a belt though.
2014 Aprilia RSV-4 R - toy
Appreciate 0