E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > In the market.....could use some advice....

07-05-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
fattypros
Registered
Rep
Drives: shopping

In the market.....could use some advice....

I had the privledge of getting to drive my friend's loaded 07 335i sedan and loved it! So I started getting into negotiations with the dealer about the price of the vert...

I used to have an old camaro vert and loved that thing, so I was looking to revisit the memories.

Turns out the vert was a little out of my price range, asking for close to 900 on a lease...

Down, but not out, I explored other options...

Like the 135i vert, it was a blast to drive, a little awkward in the looks department, but still fun...

The price was in the low 7s, which was do-able. So i started reading a bunch of reviews on it, people really are mixed on thier feelings about it. My opinion?

Pros: Fast (if not faster than it's 3 counterpart), convertible (obviously), great handling (like all BMWs), I could go on about the comforts all day long, but seeing how I am talking to a bunch of current owners, I will just be telling you what you already know...

Cons: The styling is a little off compared to how the 3 looks, seems misproportioned, no back seat room (well, it is a convertible).

So then I started thinking about it all over again, I have never owned a car where people were ready to pile in for a trip, I have owned a 89 camaro vert (enough said about that), a 93 beretta (more room, but a coupe, and not sporty in the least), a 97 camaro (sporty, but once again, no room in the back) and an 03 frontier king cab (not king enough for people in the back seat).

So now I'm thinking about saying screw the drop top roof and just getting a sedan like my friend, it's got tons of room, still fast and people love piling in that thing.

The one I built online is sitting at 47k, thats base with montego blue, the premium pkg, sport pkg, heated seats, comfort access and ipod adapter. That's all I really need. So I am wondering what my payments will be with that, I intend to stop at the dealership today and work those numbers out.

My question is, what is a price I should expect to see? I don't know if this dealer is being honest with me or not, he's a good guy who has helped me out with this process, but my freind bought his loaded 07 new and pays about 700 a month. I was thinking it should be less than that if I'm not loading mine to the gills!

I dont know, I am really excited about the idea of this, I don't want to rush into anything. Any info is appreciated!

Thanks
Nick
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
ask for invoice on the sedan
      07-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
nomarfuego
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335xi

Research is key. I used edmunds.com and cars.com to get my invoice information, and then compared that to the dealership. edmunds was right on the money for my last two purchases.
      07-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
The Other Tom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Do you want everything that comes with the premium package ? I didn't. All I wanted was leather from the PP. So I ordered leather as a stand alone option and saved about a thousand bucks.
You can consider doing euro delivery for 7-10% savings. Of course, you have to pay for your trip to Europe, but airfaires this fall should be "ok", at least less than they are now. And...Lufthansa offeres a two for one deal if you want to take somebody with you.
Like others have said, figure the invoice cost and work up from there. Contact a couple of board sponsors for good prices.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep
Drives: Three-Three-Five

Before you do anything -

First, read a lot about leases and what the different numbers mean. There is a whole new collection of terms to learn, like money factor, residual, down payment (or cap cost reduction) versus multiple security deposits, etc., that can affect, in a huge way, your total cost. For example, money factor is essentially your interest rate on the car, so just like you wouldn't purchase a car without knowing the interest rate, you shouldn't lease a car w/o knowing the MF. And do some thinking on how long a lease you want (24 mos? 36 mos?) and how many miles you need per year (keeping in mind that going over on miles will cost you).

I'd suggest test driving the convertible, the coupe and the sedan. They will all feel different, so get a sense of what you prefer to drive, what type of space you need (I mean, the E90 isn't "huge," so don't assume you are ready for a long road trip with 5 people with it). Then work from invoice prices on the cars, using a lease calculator to input all the different numbers and figure out what it will cost you for the monthly payment. But don't just work backward from a monthly payment, because dealers can always use that as a way to sneak things in or rip you off.
      07-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
Tatsu
Rep
Drives: Space Gray 135is

When it comes to price, do like Edmund's says and get email quotes from the internet sales department at several dealers. The closest dealer to my wouldn't budge much on a 335i coupe. Offered me at best 1K below MSRP. Another dealer about 10 miles away offered me invoice for a built to order car and a dealer about 15 miles away offered me $100 over invoice for a car they had on the lot with almost exactly the options I wanted. I have the advantage of living in LA so there are more than enough dealers to shop around at. I got my best price on a car sitting on the lot by showing the sales manager an email with a quote from another dealer. Doing that little bit of extra work before you go sit and talk numbers can save you a bunch.
      07-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
fattypros
Registered
Rep

alright.....

thanks to those that responded with your advice. I called the sales rep expressing interest to talk about financing the 335i sedan, left him a voicemail and i am waiting for a call back.

in the meantime, I went and researched the mechanics of leasing, got the invoice price from edmunds with the options I wanted(~44k compared to ~48 MSRP), as well as sending out dealer qoutes to various dealers, edmunds only returned 2 in my area however....

So in helping compute my monthly payment, where can I go to get the current money factor and residual value of the car? Is that something I request from the dealer? Or is there another source?

Once again, thanks!
Nick
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
lowcash_dreamcar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: his bimmer like it should be

Garage List
2008 328i Coupe  [0.00]
Smile Let me tell you my story...

Like in your case, I test drove an used BMW(only that it was a 2002 model and it still drove like the Ultimate Driving machine) and loved it from the moment I got my hands behind its wheels.

Before I tell you my story, let me answer your question regarding the source for the residual rates and money factor are dealers. Those are attributes that are set by BMW NA and is common for all dealers. It is the selling price of the car that is to be negotiated as much as possible.

I recently(June 20th exactly) placed an order for BMW 328i Coupe. I was in the same situation as yours before doing that. And I did what most of the others have advised. Researched a lot, negotiated with dealers all over the country(yes, I live in Kansas where there is only one dealer and hence contacted dealers from IN, IL, MA, IA) and took my time and I was rewarded with one of the best prices on the car from my local dealer based on what other members on the forum told me. All I did was shoot emails to dealerships requesting for quotes from their websites. Initially my dealer gave me only $1800 off MSRP. A couple of other dealers gave me near Invoice prices and I went back to my local dealer and asked them to match or beat it and they beat it and I got $3570 off MSRP finally and that's close to double of what I had initially gotten. So, take your time!

With all the options I built it with, the MSRP was $41070 and the Invoice price on Edmunds.com(Yeah, that's where you've got to go) $37,890 and I got mine for $37,500.

So, take your time and do it as this is a big investment.

PM me if you need any other information.

GL!

Lokesh
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

+1 on the European Delivery suggestion. The only thing about this is that while you're paying less monthly on a lease, you have to pay for the trip up front. So you're essentially paying about the same amount but you're saving the interest on that $3,000 or so with ED.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #10
fattypros
Registered
Rep

several more questions for you guys......

does anyone have the actual numbers for residual value and money factor so i can complete my calculations?

It seems like black leather/alum trim with montego blue is an odd choice, i just spent some time searching the preowned vehicles for that match and closest i got was gray/alum with montego...

I assume the certified preowned vehicles search does not include what the dealer has in stock, but not sold yet? Would going in and talking to the dealer allow me to see whats in stock new? In hopes of finding that configuration mentioned above?

I am supposed to get a call from my sales rep tomorrow afternoon, he has been on vacation.....

If I could find the right set up already built, it would really benefit instead of having to wait 4 months from order to delivery!! (The dealer orig told me it would only take 6-8 weeks!)

Well, as always, any info is appreciated....
Nick

Oh yeah! In response to those european delivery suggestions, being in the military, I have a friend stationed in Naples, Italy, and I can take a MAC flight there and back for cheap...but how do I work it from there? Do I have to go to Germany or something? I guess I can just go find a thread regarding it...

Thanks again guys....
Appreciate 0