E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Even I didn't think it would be this quick

01-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #89
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
No matter what you think about the car they do sound like God

I've chased a few footballers down my local by-pass in them, unsuccessfully I'll add, and the noise they make is just staggering. Could even tempt me to buy an automatic Merc .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #90
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

urgh way way way too late
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #91
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post

Thanks...is the finally a car that's as fast as the Datsun? (although my turbo might have just managed that!). Funny eh, you have to go right to the top of some car ranges to get close to the GT-R's performance!

I'm on Stage 4/650R but in reality i use a 1/4 of the performance (if that) most of the time. So it wouldn't bother me about top end figures. Just how much you enjoy driving it and love getting into it in the morning. Must admit with my budget i couldn't do any better. But if i were to go up a level (in a few years hopefully) i would find it very difficult go choose. But the SLS is a great looking/sounding car. I've never driven one, but being a Merc i can imagine it's a lovely place to spend time in. And then there's the sound!

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #92
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

If you are really wanting to save money on the second car why not go for something much cheaper, some mega cheap deals on diesel SLKs for half of your budget and gotta be easy on the fuel.

Having said all that changing a car to save money on fuel is an often used excuse that rarely works out financially. Once you factor in depreciation and profit someone else is making on your trade in and new purchase it generally would be much cheaper to keep using the gas guzzler. If you truely work out your annual diesel costs in the RRS and the costs in an E350 is it really massively different?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #93
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Quote:
Mate, I'm sorry for not saving come round...had a manic and quite unpleasant few months If for whatever reason the Jag doesn't sell today, I'll pop it round on Sunday otherwise I'll pop round in a couple of weeks with the SLS.
I'll keep an eye on your write ups and give you a call when then kettles on
Don't know what your going to be able to have after an SLS that's better without winner the lottery
      01-05-2013, 03:47 AM   #94
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Errr careful there Davy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
If you are really wanting to save money on the second car why not go for something much cheaper, some mega cheap deals on diesel SLKs for half of your budget and gotta be easy on the fuel.

Having said all that changing a car to save money on fuel is an often used excuse that rarely works out financially. Once you factor in depreciation and profit someone else is making on your trade in and new purchase it generally would be much cheaper to keep using the gas guzzler. If you truely work out your annual diesel costs in the RRS and the costs in an E350 is it really massively different?
That's dangerous ground you're treading, undermining one of the very best reasons for trading a perfectly good car.....along with;

"lower taxes", "lower monthly payments", "its got a new car guarantee", "its a great deal" and "anyway, ours needs new tyres and a service".

If it had to make financial sense, this would be a Micra forum

But undermine these great reasons and all you're left with is

"because I love that feeling of driving a new car"
"I have an irrational need to change"
"I need another new car fix"
"I can't get that new coupe out of my head"
"I have £5000 burning a hole in my pocket"
"so little time, so many great cars"
"I'm bored with what I have and no longer enjoy washing it"
"we're only here for a short time"
"you never know what might happen"

Now who's going to understand those flakey reasons?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #95
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Yep I'm there
      01-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #96
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Now we could have all helped you with that problem
      01-05-2013, 04:42 AM   #97
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Wonder if Andrew got what he wanted for the XKR-S from wewantyourcar.com (or whoever they were)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #98
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
That's dangerous ground you're treading, undermining one of the very best reasons for trading a perfectly good car.....along with;

"lower taxes", "lower monthly payments", "its got a new car guarantee", "its a great deal" and "anyway, ours needs new tyres and a service".

If it had to make financial sense, this would be a Micra forum

But undermine these great reasons and all you're left with is

"because I love that feeling of driving a new car"
"I have an irrational need to change"
"I need another new car fix"
"I can't get that new coupe out of my head"
"so little time, so many great cars"
"I'm bored with what I have and no longer enjoy washing it"
"we're only here for a short time"
"you never know what might happen"

Now who's going to understand those flakey reasons?
Get's my vote for 'post of the year'!

Onto whether the change from the RRS to the E-coupe will save money, one needs to consider that I'm aiming for NO cost to change (no deposit and no negative equity), a saving in monthly payments and much improved economy. So, will I save money by buying the E-Coupe? I think so.

Well, I put hardly any deposit (£1k) on the RRS and I've paid £3.5k in monthly payments. In my ownership period, it's cost me 4.5k....that money has 'gone', it's 'spent' as far as I'm concerned so, as long as I get back what I owe on it (£37k), then potentially changing it is a viable option as long as the Merc costs at least £100 less per month and has no deposit.

So far, I'm £1k under where I need to be on trade-in (I think I can get the extra £1k...it's a desirable and in-demand car). Broadspeed, with their c.£7k discount, combined with Mercs 5% APR finance, means I could probably get an E350CDI with around £4k's worth of options for £550 per month with no deposit....which is still £50 too much I will however get at least an extra 12mpg from the Merc which, on 20k miles pa is a saving of around £1.2k in fuel.

So, what to do?

I actually really (really!) like the RRS so am categorically not paying to sell it and I think I'm going to hold out for an extra few quid off the monthly payments (I doubt I'll get another £50 though). My mind at the minute is to keep the RRS, despite the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Wonder if Andrew got what he wanted for the XKR-S from wewantyourcar.com (or whoever they were)
Well, heres what happened:

1. On Wed PM, get an online quote from weBUYanycar.com and get offered £71k.

2. I never in a million years believe that I'll get £71k given a quick search on this internet thing brings up 2012 XKR-S's, with similar miles than mine for sale at Jag dealers for high £60k's/low £70k's (and thats before negotiations!). So, in line with WBAC's T&C's, I anticipate a call from them telling me that the price is different. In my head, I'm holding out for a realistic, but challenging mid-high £60k's for the car.

3. On Thu PM, I get a call from WBAC offering me.....wait for it......remember, they offered me £71k......hold it..........£63k

4. I say thanks but no thanks to WBAC as, whilst I expected the price to differ from the first offer, an £8k variance is them taking the piss.

5. On Thu PM, I do an online quote with weWANTanycar.com and get offered £69k.

6. Straight after I get the quote, I call WWAC and explain how I've been messed around by WBAC and queried how accurate their on-line system is. They tell me that my car is a little 'new' and 'unusual' for the online system to give a fair market valuation so they will check with their underwriters and get back to me.

7. They call me back after 10 mins and offer £67k. I accept and book appointment.

8. On Fri PM, I drive to their Notts office the next day and a very nice man spends 15 mins explaining who they are (they are in fact Motorhouse in Cannock, apparently the 'original' car supermarket ), explains the process, checks my paperwork and then goes out to see the car.

9. He physically checks the car more thoroughly than I've ever seen a car checked (with real attention to detail on the various VIN numbers dotted around the car...he tells me a couple of horror stories from his experiences!)...and he finds nothing wrong other than the kerbed wheel, which I had declared previously. He drives it for 10 mins and then confirms the price he is willing to pay is.....£67k He never attempted to knock a penny off, except the £79 admin fee I have to pay (which I can't complain about as it's plastered all over their site when I asked for quote)

10. I sign a few forms, he signs a few forms, I walk away

Extremely pleasant and easy experience - it seems that if the car is as described, they have no reason to knock down the price.

In comparison, I was offered between £63k and £65k from Jag dealers so not only am I happy that I got what I expected, I also did better than I typically could have done elesewhere.

I'd also unlikely have a scooby-doo's chance of selling it privately given a) the price of similar cars at main dealers and b) the sheer quantity currently for sale (the good news with the SLS is how few are for sale - 10 on PH last time I looked)

Last edited by Palmnuts; 01-05-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #99
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Very excited for you Andrew, I love the SLS (although I was very keen on the Jaaaaaag, as well)
The E coup you're looking at - will that be the new facelifted model? I think the facelift vastly improves the front-end appearance and turns a nice looking car into a genuinely very good looking car...

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #100
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

£4k of options on an E Class Coupe? Given that you will likely sell it after 4 months what's the point? I can understand COMAND and maybe metallic ( but white is good and free), but other than that what options do you want/need? The spec isn't too bad anyway, and the artico trim is as good as leather.

You're welcome to take over the lease on my 640d if you want to (£470/month). I don't use it anymore as am about to go back to sea for 3 months and then start a new job in London in the summer and will be using the train.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #101
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
Very excited for you Andrew, I love the SLS (although I was very keen on the Jaaaaaag, as well)
The E coup you're looking at - will that be the new facelifted model? I think the facelift vastly improves the front-end appearance and turns a nice looking car into a genuinely very good looking car...
Really??? I'm not sure. I also didn't think they were facelifting the coupe? I've so far only seen pictures of the saloon and really don't think it looks better. However, I will hold judgement until I see one in real life as so many times a car looks much better in real life than on initial pics (for instance, I disliked the e92 on the first pics then HAD to buy one as soon as I saw one on the road!).

(Heads off now to check the interweb for pics of facelift coupe )

All the prices are for current shape as Merc are putting in £3.3k's worth of deposit contribution...which Broadspeed add another £3.5k.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #102
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
£4k of options on an E Class Coupe? Given that you will likely sell it after 4 months what's the point? I can understand COMAND and maybe metallic ( but white is good and free), but other than that what options do you want/need? The spec isn't too bad anyway, and the artico trim is as good as leather.

You're welcome to take over the lease on my 640d if you want to (£470/month). I don't use it anymore as am about to go back to sea for 3 months and then start a new job in London in the summer and will be using the train.
Comand is nearly £2k of the £4k's worth of options! The rest is simple....metallic, electric memory seats and HK. That's it....relatively light for me!

Can one really take over someone else's lease (legitimately?)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #103
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Andrew:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/de...?storyId=26905

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #104
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I've always thought memory seats are a waste of time, particularly if there is only one main driver of the car - the 640 has them though

Not sure about the legitimacy of taking over a lease, am sure it can be done with the approval of the lease company - BMW finance in my case. There are companies that facilitate lease swaps so presumably it isn't out of the ordinary.

http://www.swap-a-lease.co.uk/index.cfm
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #105
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
Ahhh....damn you! That looks good doesn't it!

Is it worth £3k more than the current shape though......

Quote:
I've always thought memory seats are a waste of time, particularly if there is only one main driver of the car - the 640 has them though

Not sure about the legitimacy of taking over a lease, am sure it can be done with the approval of the lease company - BMW finance in my case. There are companies that facilitate lease swaps so presumably it isn't out of the ordinary.

http://www.swap-a-lease.co.uk/index.cfm
I would agree, but Vicki and I swap out of each others cars regularly (yep, she will probably drive the SLS more than me, depending how often I have to be in the big smoke!). And I hate the process of finding my comfortable driving posiiton over and over again (it's an OCD moment again I'm afraid )

Now Peter, I am mildly intrigued by your 640d given the low cost - is there LESS than a year left on the lease (now THATS commitment from me!)?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #106
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Electric memory seat are a must in my view, absolutely hate if my seat position changes. My wife never drives my car but even when it goes for service or anything someone will move the seat and having memory gets it straight back to place.

Taking over the lease on the 640d sounds a great option, a current model car, great pace and economy and cheapish monthlies.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #107
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Now Peter, I am mildly intrigued by your 640d given the low cost - is there LESS than a year left on the lease (now THATS commitment from me!)?
Lease runs through to 31 March 14 and there is about 12000 miles left on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #108
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The time period is acceptable (just) but I'd hit that mileage by July/August this year so would exceed the overall limit by probably 18k miles. I guess that would be around £2k in charges which is equivalent to another £140 per month

This is the problem with me and leases - not only do I not like committing to more than a year (that alone would be a result) but, unlike PCP's, leases do require you to set a realistic mileage limit, which then seems to bump up the cost considerably.

On a PCP, the actual mileage come trade-in (or sale of the car) has much less of an impact for me because I don't keep cars long enough to do really big mileages on them. So, whilst I may set a 6k pa limit to keep the monthlies lower, as I only keep the car 6 months even if I do 10k miles in that time, the mileage has hardly impact on the value in comparison to other factors such as year/age/market forces etc).

I'm still favouring keeping the RRS at this moment in time (you can all pick your jaws up off the floor...this will probably change by next week )
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #109
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Andrew, definately not for you if you exceed the miles by 18000. That would cost an extra £4300! Excess mile charge is 20p ( or maybe even 22p) per mile plus VAT.

It will just have to sit on the drive!

My bet is that you won't keep the RRS, your powers of negotiation and persuasion will get you a 350 sport coupe on budget!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #110
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Andrew, definately not for you if you exceed the miles by 18000. That would cost an extra £4300! Excess mile charge is 20p ( or maybe even 22p) per mile plus VAT.

It will just have to sit on the drive!

My bet is that you won't keep the RRS, your powers of negotiation and persuasion will get you a 350 sport coupe on budget!
Ooooeeeee.....£4.3k!! That mileage charge is twice what it would be on a PCP.

I'm not having any more bets with you
Appreciate 0