E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Custom Internals

04-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #67
n52330i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i

The N52 can have more then 300WHP..

Rev limit 8500RPM!

Motec ECU, alot of internal work inc custom cams!!

I saw it @ RMP Motors in canada

check there website

www.RMPMotors.com

www.RMPCompetizione.com
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #68
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

A properly setup MOTEC is going to cost you $8,000-$10,000 by itself. LOL.

Anything is possible, but is it even remotely cost effective? You can get 300whp from a JB1 on a 335i for $99
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #69
n52330i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i

Yes , you right. i never said it is cheap , ha ha ha..

But in class they race, you cannot use N54. Must be all engine only up to 3.0.

I was just saying that N52 can make some horse powers!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #70
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
United_States
Rep
Drives: OEM+ 330i

So what's goin' on with this, gents?
      04-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #71
berserkerx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Hello everyone, sorry I have not had an update for a little while. But I work two weeks on and two weeks off. After working 12+ hours in one day its not easy to shower, eat and then sit down and get on the computer.

But I have still been in contact with a few people with the project. I am thinking of buying a stock conn rod and ex and in valve. I would then have the specs that they need and then I could have them made as soon as I can get the dollars. I am also waiting to see how that Gavin is coming with his SC kit. If it seems viable and reasonably priced I would still get the internals done but just build it for a boosted application.

Thanks for the links to those companies. I tried to get in contact with RD and buy just the cams for the motor but they wont sell them as just cams.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #72
berserkerx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So I am looking for some opinions on what to get as far as specs on things go.

I have been asking around and getting some different answers on this. But as far as compression goes what would be the highest a lot of the members here would go on an N52 staying NA? Not running race gas of course but on pump gas like 91 or 93.

Just for fun since Gavin is working on it what compression would everyone run with a supercharger?

I personally believe we could run a 12:1 or possibly a 12.5:1. I say this because motorcycles do this all the time or even get higher. The S54 ran and 11.5:1 compression from the factory and it did fine.

I have been told a lot of it has to do with the construction and shaping of our cylinder heads.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #73
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

I think I understand what you are trying to say. 12:1 compression is just below the limit on our engines and probably a good marker/goal to set. It should be just fine.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #74
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Interesting to see this pipe dream work out
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:28 AM   #75
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
I'll trade in for a 335 when hell freezes over.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:27 AM   #76
berserkerx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
I personally agree. There was a local guy not on the forums that the 335 issues all the time. That it continually was losing power and had to be in for carbon buildup and electrical issues. I ran into him at a tire shop asking me if I had the same issues with my 330i.

Alpine let me ask you, would you ever boost your N52? you have the 328 So you have the same bore and stroke as me right?

I think if we can get a stock rod, piston, and possibly a crankshaft from our engines Wiseco and K1 can build everything to what we want if we give them the specs. Wiseco and K1 ar partners so they would make it work well. As far as valvetrain RMP most likely has cams and even headers. I know schrick can build them also but the Rep that I was speaking with says the system is not good for cams. But I have seen two or three companies with cams for the N52.

No offense to the Naysaying crowd but when people come in here saying that its like what your mother told you. If you do not have anything nice to say don't say it at all. So if you don't have something to contribute then please go and tell the other members that they can only use BMM LL01 oil and they can delete their muffler and charcoal filter but don't do anything else as it is a complete waste of time and they are stupid for wanting to customize their BMW.

Thanks

Nate
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #77
Handsome_Rob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i w/6spd!

I've often wondered why the 335 guys even come in the NA part of the forum. I would like a bit more power from the 5 but am a little hesitant about a FI setup. This sounds like it could possibly come to fruition and be a bit safer than an aftermarket FI kit. I figure a EU airbox, three stage intake, some cam work and a tune, you might could get about a 40-50 hp increase. I think that's a reasonable expectation. Keep going with your project man. I think you might be on to something.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #78
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerx View Post
So I am looking for some opinions on what to get as far as specs on things go.

I have been asking around and getting some different answers on this. But as far as compression goes what would be the highest a lot of the members here would go on an N52 staying NA? Not running race gas of course but on pump gas like 91 or 93.

Just for fun since Gavin is working on it what compression would everyone run with a supercharger?

I personally believe we could run a 12:1 or possibly a 12.5:1. I say this because motorcycles do this all the time or even get higher. The S54 ran and 11.5:1 compression from the factory and it did fine.

I have been told a lot of it has to do with the construction and shaping of our cylinder heads.
I would suggest going 11.5:1 just because this is a custom build and not from the factory - err on the side of caution. As compression ratios go up, you'll need to pull out timing to prevent detonation. A slightly lower compression ratio may give you a little more freedom.

Have you tried VAC Motorsports? I would think they could do the entire build. I'll try to contact them today. They're not too far from me either and I've been to their facilities. Very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #79
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome_Rob View Post
I've often wondered why the 335 guys even come in the NA part of the forum. I would like a bit more power from the 5 but am a little hesitant about a FI setup. This sounds like it could possibly come to fruition and be a bit safer than an aftermarket FI kit. I figure a EU airbox, three stage intake, some cam work and a tune, you might could get about a 40-50 hp increase. I think that's a reasonable expectation. Keep going with your project man. I think you might be on to something.
I hit the wrong link on the bimmerpost app since it's right below the turbo section.
You guys seem dead set on ignoring anything 335 and blowing a ton of money. I'd like to see it happen but I really doubt any of you have the cash or balls to go through with it.
Id like you all to Prove me wrong .
If you wanted to do something reasonably priced why not just spray the crap out of it with nitrous?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #80
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
or when you have enough money pumped into this where you could have had an m3?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #81
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
or when you have enough money pumped into this where you could have had an m3?
Never that much. If I wanted that extreme I would throw the M5 motor in this mofo.

Quote:
I personally agree. There was a local guy not on the forums that the 335 issues all the time. That it continually was losing power and had to be in for carbon buildup and electrical issues. I ran into him at a tire shop asking me if I had the same issues with my 330i.

Alpine let me ask you, would you ever boost your N52? you have the 328 So you have the same bore and stroke as me right?

I think if we can get a stock rod, piston, and possibly a crankshaft from our engines Wiseco and K1 can build everything to what we want if we give them the specs. Wiseco and K1 ar partners so they would make it work well. As far as valvetrain RMP most likely has cams and even headers. I know schrick can build them also but the Rep that I was speaking with says the system is not good for cams. But I have seen two or three companies with cams for the N52.

No offense to the Naysaying crowd but when people come in here saying that its like what your mother told you. If you do not have anything nice to say don't say it at all. So if you don't have something to contribute then please go and tell the other members that they can only use BMM LL01 oil and they can delete their muffler and charcoal filter but don't do anything else as it is a complete waste of time and they are stupid for wanting to customize their BMW.

Thanks

Nate
Yes, same engine. I really am up in the air right now to be honest. I'm looking to do headers and the AA tune this year so anything beyond this is completely unplanned at the moment.

For instance, a 75 shot a devil juice.

If I can snag some cams at the very minimum for my build then I'll be happy. If I do boost on this engine I'm going with lower compression and obviously forged components.

I'm in college trying to balance a mod budget so the more time I spend planning and researching rather than spending, the better.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #82
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Okay,
I've sent an email off to VAC Motorsports. It could take a couple days for them to get back to me.
We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #83
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
Rep
Drives: Naturally Aspirated

find me a busted cylinder head and I'm sure I can get the N52 to make over 300 hp.

For Sale: Jet Black pre-LCI front bumper/hood/trunk lid, oe tail lights, 2 oe 16 inch rims w/ good tires. PM w/ offers.

Last edited by allmotorh22; 04-26-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #84
berserkerx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
I would suggest going 11.5:1 just because this is a custom build and not from the factory - err on the side of caution. As compression ratios go up, you'll need to pull out timing to prevent detonation. A slightly lower compression ratio may give you a little more freedom.

Have you tried VAC Motorsports? I would think they could do the entire build. I'll try to contact them today. They're not too far from me either and I've been to their facilities. Very impressive.
I actually fly over to work in PA. I am not sure how close I am to where Vac motorsports is. I work near Mansfield. I would love to see them be able to do the entire build as that would make certain that there is not going to be a valve coming in contact with a piston and what not.

Thanks for shooting them an e-mail I hope that you hear good news back from them. Keep us posted.
Quote:
I hit the wrong link on the bimmerpost app since it's right below the turbo section.
You guys seem dead set on ignoring anything 335 and blowing a ton of money. I'd like to see it happen but I really doubt any of you have the cash or balls to go through with it.
Id like you all to Prove me wrong .
If you wanted to do something reasonably priced why not just spray the crap out of it with nitrous?
I personally don't like nitrous. I had thought of water methanol yes but not nitrous. I just want something different and I would love to prove you wrong but its just going to take a bit of time to get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorh22 View Post
find me a busted cylinder head and I'm sure I can get the N52 to make over 300 hp.
I am just curious, do you port cylinder heads or build parts? I have found an N52KP cylinder head on ebay for about 1000. I wanted to buy it and send it off to have it reworked and use that head to put in the valves springs and retainers in it.

Side note RMP Motors has made these cars with just headwork make 300 I have been talking to a guy from there. They have cams and headers for the car. They don't have them now but they have done it in the past.

Also where and what are you going to school for? I am trying to do this on a decent budget. I am still caught in the middle of boosting or leaving NA. I believe I will do as AW325 suggested as the guy from JE did and go with 11.5:1 compression and change the compression with gaskets and other ways from there.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #85
guerilla twang
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually fly over to work in PA. I am not sure how close I am to where Vac motorsports is. I work near Mansfield. I would love to see them be able to do the entire build as that would make certain that there is not going to be a valve coming in contact with a piston and what not.

Thanks for shooting them an e-mail I hope that you hear good news back from them. Keep us posted.

I personally don't like nitrous. I had thought of water methanol yes but not nitrous. I just want something different and I would love to prove you wrong but its just going to take a bit of time to get it done.

I am just curious, do you port cylinder heads or build parts? I have found an N52KP cylinder head on ebay for about 1000. I wanted to buy it and send it off to have it reworked and use that head to put in the valves springs and retainers in it.

Side note RMP Motors has made these cars with just headwork make 300 I have been talking to a guy from there. They have cams and headers for the car. They don't have them now but they have done it in the past.
Also where and what are you going to school for? I am trying to do this on a decent budget. I am still caught in the middle of boosting or leaving NA. I believe I will do as AW325 suggested as the guy from JE did and go with 11.5:1 compression and change the compression with gaskets and other ways from there.

Thanks for the input everyone.
This is really exciting to me. It would be nice to have a decent supply of headers that didn't involve a hackjob to get them installed with virtually no back end support. *cough cough* ...OBX...
      04-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #86
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was under the impression Gavin's headers didn't need hacking to get them to fit right?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #87
guerilla twang
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was under the impression Gavin's headers didn't need hacking to get them to fit right?
AFAIK Gavin's headers are just OBX. IIRC he addresses the issue in the DIY install thread.
      04-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #88
berserkerx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah you had to cut the motor mount to get it to fit correctly. But RMP has the headers I think they just need to know when to ship them so they can get them for you. I will email the guy again and ask.
Appreciate 0