E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VIP CAI installed!!!

01-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
VIP CAI installed!!!

Give you guys a little update:

Just got my VIP Tuning CAI in yesterday and finished installing it late last night. Customer Service by VIP is incredible!! Without a doubt, some of the nicest guys ive talked to when it comes to vendors. Had a question during the install, called them right up and Jacque walked me through the process.

Install....I will admit, was a bit PITA for 1 reason. The Stock DV hose gets in the way during install. Since everything is so compact in the engine bay already, it was a bit hard to work with the piping and DV connection. Luckily i fit the CAI in while still keeping the stock DV connection, which was what i wanted. I would have taken the DV hose off and capped it, but we could not figure out how to work the connection clip on the hose

Now the sound...... LOUD!!! Invigorating Loud!! Good Loud!! Even better, it was low 40s last night and that thing was sucking in like there was no tomorrow. I still need to reset the ECU to let it readapt to the different airflow, but i could already tell an increase in response and power. Dont worry though... Ill get it to the dyno soon and give you actual numbers instead of sitting here giving you bench numbers.

Here are a few quick pics. My camera battery is dead so i had to use my phone for now.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
That looks sweet! What'd ur "butt dyno" tell you?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zameergill View Post
That looks sweet! What'd ur "butt dyno" tell you?
My butt and my friends butt dynos both reported an increase in power.. No doubt
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

could you get a sound clip of a rev or two and a few take-offs??? would be awsome to hear this thing! congrats btw
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hov333 View Post
could you get a sound clip of a rev or two and a few take-offs??? would be awsome to hear this thing! congrats btw
Of course!! Once i charge my camera, i will take flybys, revs, pulls, ect.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Looks sweet man. Looking forward to the numbers

Not sure if its possible, but how much did it cost?
      01-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Very cool...take it to the dyno and let us know the increase in tq/hp.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Nice! Intake looks great.

Too bad that wouldn't clear my BOV... oh well.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

cant wait to see dyno numbers!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

It's nice and all, but seriously, there is no design in that what so ever. They just welded pipes together to fit into the stock ones and down into the wheel well. It's something you would see on a civic or integra, and I could make it out of PVC pipe for about 30 bucks and wrap it with reflective coating.

And may I point out again, those two pipes you connected to it, independently connect to one turbo each. I don't know if you know the huge volume/velocity of air that goes through that tube under WOT but it's a whole lot. Having the intake so that the air shoots straight through to one of the turbo inlets, and makes a 180 degree turn to get to the other, was an extremely poor design.

If that were a water pipe, and water is not that different, the one with that 180 degree turn would see a HUGE drop in water pressure in a free flowing situation.

At the very least the intake should have split before that point and then gone through a bend.

and straight pipe, have fun.
      01-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Ocha...you might be right about that...The straight pipe would see more air than the one that splits...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
You should design an intake and sell it then if you can build it better.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Ocha...you might be right about that...The straight pipe would see more air than the one that splits...
Not might, am. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. It's going to be more difficult for the front turbo to intake then the back.
      01-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #14
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Not might, am. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. It's going to be more difficult for the front turbo to intake then the back.
There should be a piece right between the split where it divides the air coming throught the straight pipe...a divider of some kind to make both passages see the same amount of blown air...Ocha dude..your a gearhead i see, but can't you be a little more polished and stop acting like a Neanderthal MAN!!!! LOL But you are right about the intake.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There should be a piece right between the split where it divides the air coming throught the straight pipe...a divider of some kind to make both passages see the same amount of blown air...Ocha dude..your a gearhead i see, but can't you be a little more polished and stop acting like a Neanderthal MAN!!!! LOL But you are right about the intake.
Crap, boostedBMW is failing as my proxy poster man.

Quote:
There should be a piece right between the split where it divides the air coming throught the straight pipe...a divider of some kind to make both passages see the same amount of blown air...
Yea it would be like pointing a hose at the ground and trying to drink water with a straw from above, sure you could drink, but it would be a hell of a lot easier if you were under it.
      01-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #16
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's nice and all, but seriously, there is no design in that what so ever. They just welded pipes together to fit into the stock ones and down into the wheel well. It's something you would see on a civic or integra, and I could make it out of PVC pipe for about 30 bucks and wrap it with reflective coating.

And may I point out again, those two pipes you connected to it, independently connect to one turbo each. I don't know if you know the huge volume/velocity of air that goes through that tube under WOT but it's a whole lot. Having the intake so that the air shoots straight through to one of the turbo inlets, and makes a 180 degree turn to get to the other, was an extremely poor design.

If that were a water pipe, and water is not that different, the one with that 180 degree turn would see a HUGE drop in water pressure in a free flowing situation.

At the very least the intake should have split before that point and then gone through a bend.

+10
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #17
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Crap, boostedBMW is failing as my proxy poster man.
I'm still waiting for my first check to arrive.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
I'm still waiting for my first check to arrive.
Oh yea, I forgot to tell you. The job comes with no monetary concessions. However, it does come with constant harassment and verbal abuse with vulgar language.
      01-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #19
BoLaS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

yea at first glance the intake is looks great!.... then after you really look at it... well its just caca...besides that airflow restriction to the other turbo, has anyone noticed the weld job on this thing... pretty barbaric... give me a couple of weeks... u guys can start getting excited.... now!
      01-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #20
Rugs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

AU335...Congrats on the CAI. Sounds like there is a definite power improvement. Keep us posted when on you're upcoming dyno...

O-cha...when I fist saw this CAI design I thought the same thing, but after some thought I've changed my mind. I don't think the 180 degree turn is as detrimental to airflow as we might think.

Think of it more like Air being sucked through the pipe, rather than Water being poured through it. I've studied Hydrodynamics and Air has Way less resistance that Water! Plus you have more of a pulling in or suction of outside Fresh-Air from the Filter to the Turbo's, than you do a ram-air effect from the outside airflow.

If you've ever lived in a house with an attic fan you'll begin to see what I mean. When the attic fan is on and it's pulling air from the furthest window in the house, that air is not moving in a straight line to get back to the fan. It goes around corners, under doors and up the steps because the Pull of the fan and the low pressure it creates draws it up and through the fan...

But IMHO I think a splitter/divider might improve the airflow on this 180 degree turn (highlighted in Red). At least each Turbo would be delegated HALF the incoming Air...

SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...

Last edited by Rugs; 01-12-2008 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #21
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

brb im going to home depot.....

im jk lol
      01-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #22
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugs View Post

Think of it more like Air being sucked through the pipe, rather than Water being poured through it. Air has Way less resistance that Water! Plus you have more of a pulling in or suction of the outside Fresh-Air from the Filter, to the Turbo's than you do a ram-air effect from the outside airflow.
[/IMG]
Who said anything about ram air, the simple FACT is that the back turbo will be intaking a straight path at the discussed point, and the front turbo will be pulling AGAINST the back turbo as well as pulling against the general restriction from the intake.

Anyone who doesn't think it takes increased energy to change the direction of air flowing faster than you would believe by 180 degrees is a fool.

This is not a house fan, 100s of times more air is going through that intake then through your house, If you had a hurricane flowing through your house I guarantee low pressure zones would develop from architecture exactly like this.