E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Adaptive headlights have a squint again.

12-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

Adaptive headlights have a squint again.

Whilst I really like the HID lights, I think the adaptive turning component in much more trouble than its worth.
Same problem as before: They developed a divergent squint; RH headlight refused to line up straight ahead when on main beam whilst driving from Lowestoft last night. So I drove with the LH working but with the RH one pointing at 45 degrees to the right- no fault warnings appeared unlike before.
I had the same recurrent problem last year with about 4 visits to the dealers - eventually a whole new headlight was installed under warranty (they are about £800 to buy).
Last night restarted the car several times - RH headlight then re-aligned itself but takes about 3 secs to track from pointing right to straight ahead - much slower than the LH light.
Car (E91 Msport 330D) is under extended warranty and done about 30000 miles so I assume the light will be covered.
Anyone had similar problems? and how was it solved ?
      12-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

JUkes59

I had a similar problem and got new OSF headlight under warranty. It has randomly re-occurred a couple of times since.

Dealer adjusted the alignment of drivers headlight so as cut off moved left slightly and seems to have done the trick.

Hope you get yours sorted.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

thanks.

One problem is that the fault is intermittent. Last time I had to video the random beam patterns I was getting before the Dealers could do anything.
      12-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

What a peculiar problem?
I would say Glasses but all the cool kids wear contacts these days.

Hope you get it sorted.
Appreciate 0