E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Benefits of cdv

02-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
e90injrz
Banned
Rep
Drives: e90 335

Benefits of cdv

ok i did but no one ever explain's what are the benefits of the cdv from what i understand it stiffens the clutch

1st of all why the f would i wanna do that i like that the clutch is soft it doesent feel like iam driving a mustang witch is good

and it delays the clutch from engaging to early (from what i read) why would i want my shifts delayed

somone help me out there are to many people saying its the best 30 bucks they have ever gave.Gimme some reasons why

thx guys

btw iam not against it iam just dont understand it
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List

I totally hear ya man
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 02:48 AM   #3
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
http://www.rissracing.com/viewfull.aspx?pid=28

Maybe that'll help?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

it does not stiff up the clutch. it just is a more direct engagement of gears.

Aside from my performance exhaust, best mechanical mod on my car...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

It gives you back the real "connected to the clutch feel" that's been missing in BMWs. When I would drive my BMW after getting out of my Porsche before I knew about the CDV, I'd always wonder why I couldn't feel the clutch the same way. 1-2 was always a bit jerky unless I paid a lot of attention (working a clutch is like second nature to me usually). After the CDV mod was done, all my shifts are smooth and require no thought at all, like it should be.
      02-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
nevets1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Jet Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
It gives you back the real "connected to the clutch feel" that's been missing in BMWs. When I would drive my BMW after getting out of my Porsche before I knew about the CDV, I'd always wonder why I couldn't feel the clutch the same way. 1-2 was always a bit jerky unless I paid a lot of attention (working a clutch is like second nature to me usually). After the CDV mod was done, all my shifts are smooth and require no thought at all, like it should be.
wrickem states it perfectly...clutch(engagement) and pedal are now working in tandem Everyone should do this mod!

'06 330i/6mt/JB-Terra/Navi/ZSP/Full M-Tech/CFspitters/CF spoiler/RogueSSK/Performance Shift Knob-Boot/19"MorrVS8's/Goodyear F1 Asym. 245-275/KoniFSD-Eibach Pro/Blacklines/BMW Perf. Intake/BMW Perf. Exhaust/Matte Black Shadowlines/Perf. St. Wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
TofuTurkey
Gobble gobbledygook
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90injrz View Post
ok i did but no one ever explain's what are the benefits of the cdv from what i understand it stiffens the clutch
I think it makes it easier to press the clutch down. What the mod (or if you remove it entirely) does is to allow the fluid to flow at a greater rate. This means that when you press the clutch there's less resistance, hence it takes less effort.

Quote:
and it delays the clutch from engaging to early (from what i read) why would i want my shifts delayed
That's true, then again it delays the clutch EVERY TIME, even when you're shifting right. That's what people are pissed about.

Personally, I just want to get rid of the 1st-2nd gear shift wait. You know, when you start from first gear and you keep going till the rpms hit 4k, then when you press the clutch and have to wait almost 2 seconds before it drops to the correct rpm for the second gear to engage. I've heard people ask about this but not received any answer, but I'll know when I do the mod this weekend
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
mikeokimster
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 jerez m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets1 View Post
wrickem states it perfectly...clutch(engagement) and pedal are now working in tandem Everyone should do this mod!
I am thinking about doing this mod the next time I drive up to IL since I don't trust the shops down here. Might go to Devo Tuning.
///Mods: Xpel front clip wrap, Nokya 2500k H8 halos, matte grills, IND reflectors, scoops, MS drop-in, MS track pipes, Dinan exhaust, 240E, ESS tune, BBS CHR, s04 255x35 295x30, KW Clubsports, ceramic pads
Retired: 08' E92 328i JB 6mt 212 rwhp 190 rwtq
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
micah
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Without removing the CDV, you cannot modulate the clutch effectively. Typically, the symptom is that you will thunk on the 1-2 shift when you have the stock CDV, especially when you're shifting fast. That's because even though you've shoved the pedal all the way in, the hydralic fluid is still slowly swirling through the very narrow aperture of the valve when you yank the shifter out of first. THUNK. You've effectively pulled the car out of gear without fully engaging the clutch. That CAN'T be good.

Do this mod. I can't believe the clutch on my Subaru was superior to the BMW until I fixed this thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
drZ
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: black sapphire e92

Quote:

1st of all why the f would i wanna do that i like that the clutch is soft it doesent feel like iam driving a mustang witch is good

somone help me out there are to many people saying its the best 30 bucks they have ever gave.Gimme some reasons why

thx guys

btw iam not against it iam just dont understand it
maybe you havent got the idea of the cdv mod..what all the guys are actually saying is you need to either a)get the cdv deleted or b)buy a modified one from a vendor eg RR..and what either of this does is,make the gear changes smoother and more in line with acceleration..hope this helps mate..
You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.
Appreciate 0