E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Alignment with Active Steering

08-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Alignment with Active Steering

Did some searching but didn't see a definitive answer. If you have active steering do you have to take it in to the dealership to get an alignment? I've read there may be some sensor updates that only the dealer can do with their systems but not sure if this is true.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

No one on here has a 335 with active steering and has gotten an alignment?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Projekt_BooGie
Average Car Exceeding Expectations (ACEE)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
I got it and i took mine to the dealer b/c they have to recalibrate the active steering headlights so the A.S. works properly. I had this same question and the only answer I got was "so the AS works properly"
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
tom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

I searched and found this post : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...18&postcount=5

I'm pretty sure that the alignment is agnostic of AS, but the AS unit might need to be reset/recalibrated because of the alignment.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
I searched and found this post : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...18&postcount=5

I'm pretty sure that the alignment is agnostic of AS, but the AS unit might need to be reset/recalibrated because of the alignment.
Thanks, I think that post was in relation to an alignment of a lowered car. That's not the case for me. I guess I'll see if an indy shop can do the alignment and see if anything seems to be out of whack.

ACEE, what did you pay for alignment at the stealership? Was it higher because you have active steering?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Thanks, I think that post was in relation to an alignment of a lowered car. That's not the case for me. I guess I'll see if an indy shop can do the alignment and see if anything seems to be out of whack.

ACEE, what did you pay for alignment at the stealership? Was it higher because you have active steering?
I think mine came out to be like $175. But normal price was $199 which I thought was pretty, considering most alignment shops was charging like $100+
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEE View Post
I think mine came out to be like $175. But normal price was $199 which I thought was pretty, considering most alignment shops was charging like $100+
Did you watch them do it? Did they mention doing anything special with the AS sensors?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Projekt_BooGie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
Quote:
Did you watch them do it? Did they mention doing anything special with the AS sensors?
no I didn't watch them to do it...and they didn't say anything about doing anything special
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Quote:
No one on here has a 335 with active steering and has gotten an alignment?
I had mine done by the dealers, and I have AS with PSS10s....Supposedly, they had trouble making my car 'communicate' with their computer when it was time to reset the AS sensors.....They used ISIS(spelling?), which was the newest calibration machine, it didn't work. Then they used the GT1, which was not used anymore according to them, it didn't want to communicate either.

So the tech said he spent an extra 1.5 hours trying to figure out what's wrong with the car and couldn't figure it out. So they gave the car back to me with the ABS, Brake, and AS lights on....Drove home like that, and it felt like crap, like a Civic with no power steering. They were going to charge me the extra hours spent on figuring out what's wrong with my car......But the SA ended up calling me back and telling me that they'll waive that, ya, go figure....In my mind, I was thinking, ok so you're gonna charge me more for NOT being able to get those lights to go off, and make me drive home like that and said they've exhausted all options? Hell no!

But I eventually figured out how to get those lights to turn off myself after I got home.....I even made a post about it, look it up. It's like paying the dealer to get my alignment done, and having to finish the work myself while still being charged the same? How does THAT make sense? I should have gotten a discount, LOL......

On top of it all, I asked my SA how long the mechanic has been working on cars, and he assured me that he knew what he was doing, and has been there for a good number of years.....right......I had this car for four years, and had to figure out how to turn off those lights myself? LOL

Anyway, they said they couldn't get my driver side rear wheel's camber to be like the passenger side rear, I didn't know why, and they didn't know either, but my SA assured me that the camber was 'within' spec.....But to me, there should be NO reason why they can't get the two rear wheels' camber to be the same, or very close at least......

I have the alignment specs from them as well, if you're interested, I can scan it and post it up, and maybe other members will be able to tell me why that is?

Ever since the suspension upgrade and the alignment, my steering still feels off to me, I'd say it still pulls slightly to the left, and the AS seems a bit weird in feeling, like it's not as lively.....When I have the steering wheel centered, it pulls to the left, as that was the problem before and after I had new driver side tie rod replaced due to a slight 'popping' noise when going over slightly imperfect roads. Now, the noise is gone, and I think another one has come up, more so to do with the suspension I think, and it still pulls to the left a tad bit....I don't know WTF is wrong with it.....It's annoying to say the least. I think I have good choice in aftermarket parts and the people who works on my car, so IDK.....

p.s. holy shit, I didn't know I wrote a novel on explaining this, sorry, lol.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0