E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help! Walnut blasting sandblaster failure

10-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
335IAF
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: na

Help! Walnut blasting sandblaster failure

So I Took off work today to get my intake port cleaning done finally. I got all the stuff, bought nearly everything that was listed on the DIY everyone seems to reference http://www.bimmerhelp.info/DIY_N54_Valve_Blast.html. I got everything torn down to the intake ports, covered everything and i was testing the sandblaster before i got started and i cant seem to get the shells to come out of the wand. instead they blow out of the little port next to the adapter at the bottom of the HF Portable standblaster kit. Pulled the hose off the bottom on the sandblasting gun and it seems when i have the wand on the end of it, it's so restrictive its blowing air into the container with walnut shells instead of sucking them through. If i pull the wand off it sucks through but obviously this doesnt do me any good. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2008 E90 335I | Sport | Premium | Cold Weather | CA | Logic7 | Black/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
335IAF
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: na

General Setup:

Instead of hammering in a barb and using 3 different adapters, i actually got a pipe threater and threaded the head of the sandblaster tip so i could still use the ceramic tip if i ever need to. This way i could also thread the adapter (in this case bav auto's version) right into the end of the sandblaster.

Blaster head pulled apart:

Hole that shoots walnut shells when i put the wand on the tip of the sandblaster:

I also got a flare fitting initially because flare threads arent tapered, if i screw it in most of the way without the want i get the same effect, but i dont need it with the setup i have.

2008 E90 335I | Sport | Premium | Cold Weather | CA | Logic7 | Black/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
messar
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93

check to make sure there isn't anything in the path the shells take through the gun - I had a big chunk of rubber there, and took me forever to figure that out.... Worked great afterwards.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
KeepRidingDirty
Professional Monkey Trainer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

That things a piece a crap. I did mine with that, took forever because i kept having to pick up the container and shake it. The metal nipple that holds the rubber hose kept clogging. I ended up just cleaning the final two ports with carb cleaner, brushes and picks. Took me 20 mins to get the manifold off and 5 hours to clean the ports.

Last edited by KeepRidingDirty; 10-20-2014 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #5
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRidingDirty View Post
That things a piece a crap. I did mine with that, took forever because i kept having to pick up the container and shake it. The metal nipple that holds the rubber hose kept clogging. I ended up just cleaning the final two ports with carb cleaner, brushes and picks. Took me 20 mins to get the manifold off and 5 to clean the ports.
You were probably using the wrong grit size. It takes about a minute per port for me, and I use the same setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
volcom8190
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 Sierra 1500

were you using the coarse or fine media, the coarse clogs even the nice BMW blaster
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
KeepRidingDirty
Professional Monkey Trainer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
You were probably using the wrong grit size. It takes about a minute per port for me, and I use the same setup.
Hmmmmm, I suspected that but the place I bought my media from only had one size of walnut media. Annoying. I also bought the bavauto plastic vacuum attachment and it broke on the 3rd port. So i suggest getting the metal one.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
The_Dude
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Evo VIII, n54 135i 6mt

Start at post 17

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953039
Appreciate 0