Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Question re: TPM

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-21-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
Agent007
Private
Rep
Drives: xdrive40i X5

Question re: TPM

My e92 was delivered mid-Nov 2007. Never checked tire pressure as the TPM never said anything... Everything was fine until...

Last night i drove it pretty aggressively for 15-20 minutes. Didn't hit anything in the road or potholes or anything - all smooth roads. Got home around 9:30-10pm and didn't take the car out again.

Get into the car for the first time today at 7pm and my driver's side front tire is low according to TPM. It shows up as yellow on the TPM when all the other wheels are green. The tire doesn't look any different than the other 3 tires from the outside, but I have heard that runflats don't show being when the're low or flat as much as other tires.

Go to the gas station and test the pressure. Drivers side rear is 32-33 and the other 3 tires, including driver's side front (low one) are 30-31.

I inflate the front tires to 32-33 and the rear to 35. I use idrive to reset the TPM and drive off to let the monitor reset. It resets and all 4 wheels are green. I drive another 6-8 miles at 20-40 mph and everything is fine. Park the car while I have dinner/drinks and about 3 hours later, get in and everything is still green and there is no (!) sign or anything.

Question is, any chance my tire was just low or for some reason the TPM had an error, or am I going to go back out tomorrow and find out its low again (meaning i have a small puncture in it)?

A friend of mine with the e46 M3 said he went through the same thing and also though the tire was just low, but when it did it again the next day he took it in and there was a nail in the tire.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it actually possible that my tire was low without a puncture or do you think I'm going to be unpleasantly surprised tomorrow?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Sorry no one helped you on this thread sooner. I would look for a nail, and keep monitoring it every 3-4 hours or so. If its a nail, even a slow leak, it should be noticeable after 4-5 hours that you're leaking. Try to catch it and patch it so that you can at least use it to get to work and to a tire shop asap. If you don't notice a nail or any odd deflation issues, then it was just a tpms malfunction.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
Same exact story happened to me. The shop I go to even said nothing's wrong so I think it might just be glitchy...

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

Just had a big red "!" in the TPMS symbol lit up today. Went into a local tire shop and checked pressure on all 4 wheels and seem to be proper pressures in all 4 wheels. Yet I cannot reset the TPMS system. When I tried resetting it says "Tire Low" and would not allow me to complete the reset. Anyone with similar situation and what did you do? Is there a way to reset the system or just bring the car in to the dealer? Thanks.
      08-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
anonemouse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Santorini Blue F80 M3

Just switched out the RFTs for PS2's and I am having the same issue. Tire pressures are correct and I cannot reset the TPMS as it says the tire pressure is low.

Anyone find a solution to this, or is a trip to the dealer required?

Thanks,

A.
Appreciate 0