E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > HID Question

10-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Hey guys I have a 2009 328i coupe and I noticed my left headlight would flicker and go out for about 5-10 seconds when I'm driving and get the low beam malfunction for a sec then come back on, the halos would stay on though. It's happened only like 4 times and then stays on normally. I believe it's just the bulb but worst case scenario I read it's the ballast. I'm looking to upgrade my lights anyways but I had a question regarding HID kits since they come with their own ballast. The HID kit I'm looking at comes with its own ballast so worst case scenario if my stock headlight ballast is out, if I get the HID kit will it just replace the stock ballast I have right now and function properly since it comes with its own ballast?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
Hey guys I have a 2009 328i coupe and I noticed my left headlight would flicker and go out for about 5-10 seconds when I'm driving and get the low beam malfunction for a sec then come back on, the halos would stay on though. It's happened only like 4 times and then stays on normally. I believe it's just the bulb but worst case scenario I read it's the ballast. I'm looking to upgrade my lights anyways but I had a question regarding HID kits since they come with their own ballast. The HID kit I'm looking at comes with its own ballast so worst case scenario if my stock headlight ballast is out, if I get the HID kit will it just replace the stock ballast I have right now and function properly since it comes with its own ballast?
Not just any old HID kit ballast will work. You need the one specific for your BMW.

I'd hit up the guys www.HighPerformanceBulbs.com as they usually have some good offerings for OEM replacements that are much cheaper then buying form BMW direct.

They also offer factory replacements bulbs with different color options.

The cheap stuff typically found on on ebay, is not only prone to errors, low quality but may not even be compatible.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

@Jeff@TopGearSolutions thanks for the reply! Let's say I get an hid kit there and the hid kit come with the bulbs and ballasts ect. If my stock headlight ballast goes out and I get this kit, will my headlights function properly after installation? Or will I still need to replace my stock ballast even if I do get the hid kit with the ballasts?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

You could technically make it work, but it's not worth it. The OEM ballast is designed to weather seal the headlight at the point where the wires connect to the ballast.

The OEM ballast also has a custom connector. You would need to cut up the wiring harness either inside the headlight or the harness that connects to the headlight to get power to the aftermarket ballast. After you do that, the aftermarket ballast will not talk to the car's computer properly so you need to code out the low beam error.

And then after all that, you have the issue of getting the bulb attached to the headlight projector. The projector is only designed to mount a D1S bulb securely. Aftermarket HID kits usually will not come with D1S bulbs because they are only used in OEM headlights, and people usually won't put an aftermarket system in an OEM headlight (for the reasons above).

TL;DR: Just get new high quality aftermarket or OEM D1S bulbs. I like the Morimoto XB35 bulbs from theretrofitsource. If it's your ballast that's the problem, you can get a used one off ebay for $100-150.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
@Jeff@TopGearSolutions thanks for the reply! Let's say I get an hid kit there and the hid kit come with the bulbs and ballasts ect. If my stock headlight ballast goes out and I get this kit, will my headlights function properly after installation? Or will I still need to replace my stock ballast even if I do get the hid kit with the ballasts?
I was recommending getting OEM replacements from HPB. Email them direct as they may not be listed on their site.

They can source OEM lighting products and get you a better rate then going to the dealer since they deal with the manufacturer.

They will be able to answer questions far better then me also.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
54VAGE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 N54 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
hes right, you actually cant use any other ballast without extensive rewiring or an adapter to fit the connections of the current existing OEM ballast. Its cheaper to just buy the replacement ballast, even check ebay for a used one. Plug that in, and itll seal the headlight and properly fit. After that you can change the bulb itself to match the color of your desire.

F30 N20 EWG
Appreciate 0