E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Average cost/time to code?

03-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
th3h3ro23
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Average cost/time to code?

I just ordered a new CCC unit because mine fried a few months back (Took time to get the money saved up) I'm trying to estimate how much it'll cost me to code it at a dealership if anybody has any good guesses, or has had the job done already?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3h3ro23
I just ordered a new CCC unit because mine fried a few months back (Took time to get the money saved up) I'm trying to estimate how much it'll cost me to code it at a dealership if anybody has any good guesses, or has had the job done already?
Dealership will charge you to update the software ilevel the car.. Possibly 2hrs or less.

It may be in the dealers discretion as well to even code your vehicle with another unit not authorized by BMW.
      03-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
th3h3ro23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Dealership will charge you to update the software ilevel the car.. Possibly 2hrs or less.

It may be in the dealers discretion as well to even code your vehicle with another unit not authorized by BMW.
Thanks for the estimate It's an authorized BMW unit. It's the exact unit I have in the car just not fried. I ordered it through the dealership for $950. It's not the upgraded CIC unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3h3ro23 View Post
If it's a brand new CCC (not a used CCC), then usually about 2hrs labor at the shop if it's already been fitted to the vehicle and all they need to do is program it.

If it's a used CCC (come from another vehicle), the dealership most likely won't touch it because officially, used navigation systems cannot be transferred to another vehicle. Their programming system will refuse to load the activation codes into the vehicle because another set of activation codes already exists.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
th3h3ro23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
If it's a brand new CCC (not a used CCC), then usually about 2hrs labor at the shop if it's already been fitted to the vehicle and all they need to do is program it.

If it's a used CCC (come from another vehicle), the dealership most likely won't touch it because officially, used navigation systems cannot be transferred to another vehicle. Their programming system will refuse to load the activation codes into the vehicle because another set of activation codes already exists.
I believe the dealership said they only sell refurbished units, which would mean that they've prepped it for installment aside from coding to the vehicle, or is that incorrect? It comes with a warranty and all, so I'm assuming it shouldn't be an issue? I read something similar to what you're saying though, that's why I couldn't get the cheaper version of the radio without iDrive, it wouldn't work properly with my car. But BMW themselves gave me the exact unit my car had leaving the factory, so it should match.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:13 AM   #6
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe the dealership said they only sell refurbished units, which would mean that they've prepped it for installment aside from coding to the vehicle, or is that incorrect? It comes with a warranty and all, so I'm assuming it shouldn't be an issue? I read something similar to what you're saying though, that's why I couldn't get the cheaper version of the radio without iDrive, it wouldn't work properly with my car. But BMW themselves gave me the exact unit my car had leaving the factory, so it should match.
Yeah, if it's from the dealership, it's fine. Because it would have been reflashed, all the activation codes removed and returned to a virgin state just like a factory fresh unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
th3h3ro23
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, if it's from the dealership, it's fine. Because it would have been reflashed, all the activation codes removed and returned to a virgin state just like a factory fresh unit.
Awesome, so about 2 hours give or take? And what's the average going rate for labor per hour? $130ish?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome, so about 2 hours give or take? And what's the average going rate for labor per hour? $130ish?
Sounds about right. Where are you located? You can probably even find a decent coder in your area that can recode and program it a lot cheaper than the dealership.

If you're in the Nashville area, I could do this easily for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
th3h3ro23
Rep

Quote:
Sounds about right. Where are you located? You can probably even find a decent coder in your area that can recode and program it a lot cheaper than the dealership.

If you're in the Nashville area, I could do this easily for you.
I'm in the southern end of New Jersey :/ I'm trying to find somebody, but everybody is a remote coder, and I don't have a laptop to bring to my car for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm in the southern end of New Jersey :/ I'm trying to find somebody, but everybody is a remote coder, and I don't have a laptop to bring to my car for that.
Not sure how far south, but if you can even find a independent shop with an Autologic, they could do it easily as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
th3h3ro23
Rep

Quote:
Not sure how far south, but if you can even find a independent shop with an Autologic, they could do it easily as well.
I'll definitely be looking around. It won't be in stock at the dealer for another day or two, so I'll look into it over the weekend to see if I can find someone to do that. That would save me a TON of money right there lol
Thanks for your help and input, I appreciate it
Appreciate 0