E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Automatic transmission on 335i won't shift

03-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
geshsoft
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Exclamation Automatic transmission on 335i won't shift

Hi guys, I've been having 335i AT with 07 production date. So far it has been running fine and I got no tunes on it or anything else yet. I do get, however, a weird jerk on first gear. When I press the accelerator it would rev freely up to maybe 1.5k RPM and then the torque converter engages sharply and pulls hard... It does that when it is cold or warm. Yesterday night I left the car for about 4 hours after a short ride (no pushing hard). The oil appeared to be completely cool when I started it after these 4 hours of rest and I noticed that it was a bit harder to shift it in reverse and D. After about 3 min on my entrance to the FW the car would not shift up at all. It was on D and it appeared to be locked in 2nd gear. No warning light came up either. it just stayed there in D. I tried to go into DS but the screen would not even show me DS - it was literally frozen on D. Same applies to manual mode - no manual shifting action. I completely stopped, reversed - it worked, put it again on D - same thing as before. I shut the car down and restarted it and voila - it all works fine now... (why does that remind me of windows...) I don't know what to make out of this. Is there anyone here with similar experience? Any help is appreciated. I am pretty sure that I will be dropping the car in.

Last edited by geshsoft; 03-15-2010 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by geshsoft View Post
Hi guys, I've been having 335i AT with 07 production date. So far it has been running fine and I got no tunes on it or anything else yet. I do get, however, a weird jerk on first gear. When I press the accelerator it would rev freely up to maybe 1.5k RPM and then the torque converter engages sharply and pulls hard... It does that when it is cold or warm. Yesterday night I left the car for about 4 hours after a short ride (no pushing hard). The oil appeared to be completely cool when I started it after these 4 hours of rest and I noticed that it was a bit harder to shift it in reverse and D. After about 3 min on my entrance to the FW the car would not shift up at all. It was on D and it appeared to be locked in 2nd gear. No warning light came up either. it just stayed there in D. I tried to go into DS but the screen would not even show me DS - it was literally frozen on D. Same applies to manual mode - no manual shifting action. I completely stopped, reversed - it worked, put it again on D - same thing as before. I shut the car down and restarted it and voila - it all works fine now... (why does that remind me of windows...) I don't know what to make out of this. Is there anyone here with similar experience? Any help is appreciated. I am pretty sure that I will be dropping the car in.
Lifetime fluid.

Seriously though, have you checked for leaks? How many miles? Out of warranty?

Might be Mechtronics(sp?) sleeve that's leaking.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
geshsoft
United_States
Rep

I have not seen any leaks - the garage is as clean as it gets. I got to look under the car 2 days ago - same thing as the garage. It is just clean and no oil appears to be leaking (appears being key word here). I am at 30k miles and just had it serviced for 30k and they literally did nothing. I can do that too . I am under warranty - in fact the car is certified preowned so this is up to 100k miles for them to serve . At least the guy before me had the HPFP replaced before it got repossessed. Maybe a transmission reset would do a difference? I should still take it in so they record this in case sh*t happens later...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

Sounds like a software issue to me. Seems like the computer does not know the proper timing to shift gears, and also your DS functionality is gone. Hopefully your dealer can do a software update that will alleviate this problem. If that doesn't work, your next best hope is to do a complete ATF flush and refill (could be something stuck or gunked up in the transmission oil). If that still doesn't work, I think it would be time for a new transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
geshsoft
United_States
Rep

I also think it is most likely a software freeze up as it did not appear to be a hard core failure and got reset after restarting the engine. Also it did not throw any code as far as I am aware which would mean that either the transmission monitoring was off or the sensors that provide the info are malfunctioning. I will have them scan it most likely this friday and see what comes up, but the car drove normally after engine restart and I've been driving it for 2 days now with no issues. A properly programmed MCU should always have implemented brownout reset and watchdog timer active especially on machine like the one we drive, and I am pretty sure it does, so I am really puzzled. Hopefully it is not a mechanical failure...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
newto335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had the same thing happen to me (38k). The idrive informed me of Transmission Error and that driving is possible but to report to BMW center. I pulled over, shut it off and turned it on. No problems for 2 weeks now. Let me know what they tell you when you take it in. I have a service schedule coming up and will be letting them know.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Quote:
I have not seen any leaks - the garage is as clean as it gets. I got to look under the car 2 days ago - same thing as the garage. It is just clean and no oil appears to be leaking (appears being key word here). I am at 30k miles and just had it serviced for 30k and they literally did nothing. I can do that too . I am under warranty - in fact the car is certified preowned so this is up to 100k miles for them to serve . At least the guy before me had the HPFP replaced before it got repossessed. Maybe a transmission reset would do a difference? I should still take it in so they record this in case sh*t happens later...
Take the car in. I had a small drivability issue when the car was cold. Turned out to be a communication issue between the transmission EGS and the car DME. Result was a completely new transmission and DME. This was done at ~88K miles on the the extended BMW warranty. Do it.
      03-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

When I had some jerky shifting previously I just cleared adaption values of my AT and it solved the problem.

Maybe somebody with the BT cable can chime in and tell you if there is an option to do the rest.
I used some different software and hardware to do it.

The software approach is always easier to try, so even if it doesn't help it is worth to try it before you change anything.
You dealership might do what I did or just update the software in your gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
geshsoft
United_States
Rep

I did the transmission reset and now the weird jerking is gone. I was not able to drop the car off to the dealer as they were totally out of loaners so it will be done 2 weeks from now. Meantime I got to fix this seat squeaking plastic piece on the passenger side... Now that the weather is warming up it was so bad it's not even funny. Before it used to do it only when someone was sitting there and now it was all over the place. Anyways, back to transmission... The dealership did mention something in the tone of "yeah it could be a major transmission problem but we won't know until we run complete diagnostics on it". I hope their techs know what they are doing. Anyone with recent experiences at McKenna in SoCal?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
geshsoft
United_States
Rep

Thumbs down

Ok, I finally had the car dropped of at Crevier BMW and they run inspection on the transmission. They literally found nothing when it comes down to fault code, which I told them may happen... Basically since it was one time thing that happened and it was not hard failure they wash their hands off, which is understandable as anyone could walk in with similar to my claim. Next time if this fault ever happens again I am recording a video of it though so they can't just get off the hook. Stupid me for not doing it back when it happened... A little remark - the car seats were dirty as hell when I picked it up and it was down to 17 mpg after 10mi they put in testing when my average prior to leaving it there was 24.5, so they have been literally reving the living sh*t out of the car...
I'm not happy...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
InCityPhoto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' 335I

I had the same problem, a few days later the high pressure fuel pump went out, took it in and they replaced it, after that, everything seems to be running smoother..

I'm not sure how they could be connected, but it has fixed my problem.

Hope it helps
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Ok, I finally had the car dropped of at Crevier BMW and they run inspection on the transmission. They literally found nothing when it comes down to fault code, which I told them may happen... Basically since it was one time thing that happened and it was not hard failure they wash their hands off, which is understandable as anyone could walk in with similar to my claim. Next time if this fault ever happens again I am recording a video of it though so they can't just get off the hook. Stupid me for not doing it back when it happened... A little remark - the car seats were dirty as hell when I picked it up and it was down to 17 mpg after 10mi they put in testing when my average prior to leaving it there was 24.5, so they have been literally reving the living sh*t out of the car...
I'm not happy...
Keep in mind without a code it's going to be very hard for the dealership to diagnose the problem. Remember dealerships get paid by BMWNA for warranty work and BMWNA won't pay them to just throw parts and time at a problem. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 08:57 AM   #13
Mr_Skyhigh
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Hello everyone, so we just purchased a 08 335i Automatic a couple days ago. We took it for a drive to the store yesterday and it got stuck in D3 and would not shift up at all. I’m driving and it’s in 3rd gear I can put it to manual mode and shift up and it displays my changing from 4th to 5th to 6th gear but it doesn’t leave 3rd gear and then I’ll switch it back over to normal mode and it goes back to D3 and just stays there. I have a code 4F89. Has anyone else encountered this problem before. I have MHD but I don’t have the xhp. The previous own did have both. I just didn’t purchase the license for the xhp yet seeing how it wouldn’t fix the problem. I went ahead and ordered now solenoids and sleeves along with a new pan. I’m hoping this will fix the problem instead on my having to buy a new transmission. Again any insite would help as this is what I have came up with
Attached Images

Appreciate 0