E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Misfiring and limp mode on my E92

02-01-2024, 05:51 PM   #1
Liamjames11
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series coupe

Misfiring and limp mode on my E92

Hello All, I am unsure where to post this, I'm pretty new to forming and not sure if I'm where I need to be

I currently own a BMW 320i E92 coupe 57 plate
I'm having some troubles with the car it's currently sat outside my house in limp mode with the engine light on the dash and the bigger engine light with half faded out on the smaller screen below i can barely get above 30mph and the car shakes like hell when driven
Its currently on 101,000 miles
At about 85k I had all fuel injectors coil packs and spark plugs replaced as I was having an issue with loss of power and a engine light then, its had the Engine light on for possibly 4 years now but no matter where I take the car no one's truly interested in trying to resolve my issue.

So when it most recently went into limp mode about 3 days ago I had 2 fault codes one for cylinder 4 mssfiring which I'm unsure is correct as I've had these changed less than 20k ago and the other fault code is p10a5 which is a problem with the position sensor for the intake air regulating flap.
I'd just like to day I'm rather a novice when it comes to cars but from what I've read my problems seem to relate to what sounds like a solenoid issue, I will be removing them from my car tomorrow and giving them a clean but other than that I'm unsure on what else to do as I don't just want to throw money at it.

I hope someone can shed some light on my issue.
Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 07:04 AM   #2
Liamjames11
Registered
Rep

Just to put an update i cleaned off the vanos solenoids this morning and the car is still having the same issue, if anyone needs any more information off me please post ill do my best to describe further in detail
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 09:38 AM   #3
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

I`ve got a 335i so don`t know the exact details of your engine. My first port of call would be to swap the coils and spark plugs around.

If cylinder 4 is the reported one - move coil from 4 to 3 and spark plugs from 4 to 2 and see if the misfire moves. Clear codes and take it for a spin. If it comes back on 4 then you`ve ruled out those bits, if it moves to 3 or 2 then you know it`s a bad spark plug or a bad coil. Free and a 15 min job

What are you using as your code reader?

I`ve assumed here that you can do that and keep timing in order like with the N54 engine, so the ignition lead still goes to the same cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 10:31 AM   #4
Liamjames11
Registered
Rep

I will need to order the extension bar as i don't believe i've got one long enough to reach the coils but ill get that ordered so i can try over the weekend.

I'm using a ArtiDiag500s diagnostic tool
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 11:55 AM   #5
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Ahh yeah, just watched a vid on how to do it, what an awkward setup (though I'm not surprised) Guess you meant the spark plugs as the coil setup looks same as mine. You could just swap those quick and test before purchasing anything.

Don`t know that diag tool, will guess its good enough though
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 06:46 AM   #6
Liamjames11
Registered
Rep

So just to update i've now replaced the spark plug, fired the car back up and im still currently getting the same fault codes i had before started working on the car, does anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0