E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Blackberry Storm corrupting iDrive s/w

05-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: I ride the bus.

Blackberry Storm corrupting iDrive s/w

Hey, I haven't been here in a while but I thought I would toss this one out there.

I have been to the dealer 2x with iDrive failures. The Nav wouldn't route to any destinations. After installing the new software and analyzing what was on the Hard drive the techs said that connecting the Storm via bluetooth was a known issue on the new system. Apparently if the Storm is connected and corrupts the system it is an out of warranty repair.

Heads up.

6MT / ZPP / ZSP / Nav / Prem. Hi-Fi / Sirius / CA / Heated Seats (you keep the ski bag) / Park Dist. / HD Radio (because it was free)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
wtf? the BlackBerry does not corrupt iDrive software, shitty iDrive corrupts its own software. On top of that from what i understand the phone does not push anything onto the iDrive, the car downloads data FROM the phone. The dealer is feeding you bullshit.

But i would also try upgrading the software on Storm itself....

Last edited by solefald; 05-05-2009 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: I ride the bus.

I downloaded the latest BB software (from Telus actually as Verizon sits on these things). For now iDrive works perfectly so it may very well be a problem with how the phone and the car interface. I agree that it is an iDrive problem and of course I refused to pay for the service and loaner. I am hoping a future s/w release for the iDrive fixes everything in general.

6MT / ZPP / ZSP / Nav / Prem. Hi-Fi / Sirius / CA / Heated Seats (you keep the ski bag) / Park Dist. / HD Radio (because it was free)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

They can't possible tell you that it won't be covered under warranty because there is a "known" issue with pairing with the Storm. It is not a known issue until BMW issues YOU a formal statement. I hate when they try to blame everything on the consumer.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
LarrySinNJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT II View Post
.... Apparently if the Storm is connected and corrupts the system it is an out of warranty repair.

Heads up.

Then their should be a BMW service bulletin for this issue. Ask the dealer for it.
2011 E90 328i xDrive Space Grey/Black Leather(Ret'd)
2009 E90 328i xDrive Monaco Blue/(Ret'd) 2007 E90 328i xDrive Graphite (Ret'd)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Using a non-approved phone can and in many cases will cause iDrive problems. I've seen it over and over.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...W/Default.aspx

"Only with the use of BMW compatible handsets with compatible software levels will you be guaranteed trouble-free performance and access to all supported functions."
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
PCR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335i

I've connected my Verizon BB Storm to my 09 E90 w/ iDrive since the day I picked up my E90. No problems... so far. I have +700 contacts.

When you say Nav won't route to dest, do you mean to addresses you entered or addresses in your BB?

Mine has been doing both.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
wtf? the BlackBerry does not corrupt iDrive software, shitty iDrive corrupts its own software. On top of that from what i understand the phone does not push anything onto the iDrive, the car downloads data FROM the phone. The dealer is feeding you bullshit.

But i would also try upgrading the software on Storm itself....
No, the dealer is not feeding him bullshit.

Unless the phone appears on BMW's list, it is very possible that the software inside the Telematics unit can be corrupted.

Use it at your own risk, but don't get mad if there is an issue. Don't blame the dealer...since they don't make the TCU's in the first place.

p.s. I use my strorm with I-drive and been trouble free so far, but if it keeps dropping out, I won't pair bluetooth anymore.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
They can't possible tell you that it won't be covered under warranty because there is a "known" issue with pairing with the Storm. It is not a known issue until BMW issues YOU a formal statement. I hate when they try to blame everything on the consumer.
Seriously? What kind of "formal statement," are you looking for? There is a list of all known approved phones on the BMW website. No guarantees on anything else.

Not all dealers look to blame the consumer for everyhting... In this case, the phone could be causing the corruption. However, there is no way to tell if the TCU is corrupted by itself when there is something else (unapproved phone) in the mix. Problems like this have to be diagnosed step by step...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrscpa View Post
Then their should be a BMW service bulletin for this issue. Ask the dealer for it.
SIB 84-21-07
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0